Injector stuck open and flooded engine... - TheDieselGarage.com
TheDieselGarage.com

Home Forum Who's Online Today's Posts Vendors Advertise
Go Back   TheDieselGarage.com > Ford Diesel & Truck Discussions > 2003-2007 6.0L Power Stroke

Thread Details Posted by Gt-358, this thread has received 11 replies and been viewed 2537 times.

TheDieselGarage.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 10-18-2005, 07:36 PM   #1
Gt-358

Injector stuck open and flooded engine...

Was coming home from Orlando and the truck started to sputter. I let off the throttle for a sec, when I pushed the pedal down again there was no power. Thought the discharge blew off again. Pulled over to the side and the engine cut off. Tried to restart it and it wouldn't even make a revolution. Sounded like it was hydrolocked Thought maybe the headgasket install last week got screwed up and poured water in.

Had it towed to the dealer and drop'd off at 5:13 am. By the time I woke up at 3pm, the dealership found it was a stuck open injector and already replaced the injector and had the truck running.

I'm a little worried about the bottom end now, should I be? I know hydrolocking a engine can bend rods and hammer bearings. If the dealership thinks its ok, should I just not worry about it since I have 60k miles of warranty left?
http://www.blownstangs.com/
Gt-358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2005, 08:10 PM   #2
Fast-6.0
Supporting Vendor

Wouldn't worry about it. If you were cranking the engine for an extended period and all of a sudden it stopped then that could be a problem. Or if the engine was running and then stopped.
Fast-6.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 08:23 PM   #3
Gt-358
Threadstarter

The engine did shut off on its own, and as soon as I hit the key it wouldn't even turn over. I was running ~70 when it decieded to act up, as I was coasting off the side of the road @ ~30 mph is when the engine shut off on its own.
Old 10-18-2005, 08:39 PM   #4
PSDPlayer
Diesel Custom Tuner

If you bent something you would have low compression on that cylinder and would feel a miss. Don't worry. Once the cylinder filled and you hit the starter it just wouldn't move you bend and brake stuff if the motor was spinning some rpms and sucked water. When the engine is spinning like 4000 rpm the piston weighs something rediculous like 17 tons.
PSDPlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 08:45 PM   #5
Gt-358
Threadstarter

Cool, thanks for the info
Old 11-04-2005, 02:55 PM   #6
Gt-358
Threadstarter

Appears I lost 2 more injectors on Sunady (Oct 29th) towing my car to the track. Got about 65 miles from the house and it lost power. I was about 1 mile to a gas station and on a road with no where to pull off, so I kept on the throttle. I had to keep the trottle down to about 3/4 to go 45 mph with the trailer behind me. It showed 3k rpms and 22 psi of boost but would not go past 45 mph. It barely made it up a hill before the gas station. Took it to a dealership up there monday, they called me yesturday (thursday) afternoon and said 2 injectors had to be replaced and its ready to go again. He didn't say if the injectors were leaking or just not working. The truck wasn't puffin black smoke, so I'm guessin they weren't leaking. Should know more when I pick it up and get the paperwork.
Old 11-04-2005, 08:42 PM   #7
Super Limo
Super limo owner

Send a message via Yahoo to Super Limo
w0w that sucks dont they have to pull the cab to do that?

2001 Ford F-350 crew cab long bed srw black gauges boost and pyro Dp 4 pos chip. Straight piped 4 in lift with 35`s . Acetone emblems
CAN YOU KEEP UP??

Everyone dies but not everyone lives

AKA COOLUA Got A NEW NAME!

LOOK AT MY NEW PICS
Super Limo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 10:03 PM   #8
PSDPlayer
Diesel Custom Tuner

The don't have to pull the cab. You said they did gaskets before? I wonder if they removed the injectors and didn't replace the seals and copper gaskets.
Old 11-05-2005, 02:41 AM   #9
Gt-358
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSDPlayer
The don't have to pull the cab. You said they did gaskets before? I wonder if they removed the injectors and didn't replace the seals and copper gaskets.
Yup, they did the Head gaskets then I had the truck back for 1 weekend before the 1 injector flooded it. Got the truck back a week later. Drove it around for a week, and the next weeked (Oct 29th) I towed up to the track and thats when it died again. I also found some other bs stuff (like striping out my EGT probe into the manifold and trying to use JB weld to hold it back in. And found all 4 battery terminals loose) they did on the truck when they did the head gaskets. Makes me worried how good of a job did he actually do on the HG change. It broke down up in Valdosta this time, so the dealership up there fixed it instead of the shop that did the HGs.

Looked at the work order when I picked it up and it said they found all the left side injectors loose. They replaced the O-ring and copper gaskets on 2 and 4, and totally replaced injectors 6 and 8.
Old 11-05-2005, 07:54 PM   #10
PSDPlayer
Diesel Custom Tuner

If the bolts are loosened on the injectors then the copper gaskets need to be replaced. If they are not replaced then they will fail again. If all the injectors were loose then maybe he forgot to torque them all to 24 ft lbs. Which I believe is what the spec is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement