Detroit 8v92 - TheDieselGarage.com
TheDieselGarage.com

Home Forum Who's Online Today's Posts Vendors Advertise
Go Back   TheDieselGarage.com > Heavy, Medium, Work Trucks and Trailers > Heavy Duty

Thread Details Posted by Brotherman, this thread has received 14 replies and been viewed 13558 times.

TheDieselGarage.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 02-17-2008, 11:10 PM   #1
Brotherman

Detroit 8v92

This is my first post here, been a lurker here for a while.. I'm looking at buying a truck with a DD 8v92 in it to work everyday. The engine has been rebuilt. What are the pro's and con's about these engines? I'm not trying to set the world on fire, but are they reliable and a decent runner? I know all about the oil leaking stores..
Brotherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2008, 11:51 PM   #2
Ben46a

First of all, Is it an 8v92 silver series? or is it green? the silver is an okay engine, but stay away from the older green ones because they had a problem with dumping coolant in the base.
Its a work truck
Ben46a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 12:00 AM   #3
Brotherman
Threadstarter

I really don't know, I didn't go see it yet.
Old 02-18-2008, 12:13 AM   #4
Diesel Brad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben46a
First of all, Is it an 8v92 silver series? or is it green? the silver is an okay engine, but stay away from the older green ones because they had a problem with dumping coolant in the base.
What exactly did they change on the silver series ? One weak spot Im told with the 92 is they used the 71s bearings , so they were a little harder on 'em.
is rewarded with EBT cards, WIC checks, Medicaid and
subsidized housing, and free cell phones.

2011 Ford F150 Ecoboost
1970 International Loadstar DV550
Diesel Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 04:24 AM   #5
french277
Euro Sparky/ Wrencher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brotherman
This is my first post here, been a lurker here for a while.. I'm looking at buying a truck with a DD 8v92 in it to work everyday. The engine has been rebuilt. What are the pro's and con's about these engines? I'm not trying to set the world on fire, but are they reliable and a decent runner? I know all about the oil leaking stores..

Basically with the 8V-92 series if you have silver verison they useally have bypass blower valve in there. and they are pretty picky with the lube oil slection normally they used straght 30W oil some area you can run the 15W-40 lubeoil in very cold weather sisuation other wise they will use a bit more oil than straght weighted verison is.

the highest siver 8-92 i know they can crank much as 435 HP but i heard some have higher rating [ i can't confrimed for now until i find the chart or someone else chime in on this ]

Merci, Marc
french277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 09:11 PM   #6
Colotow
I refuse to grow up

the army is still running thousands of 8v92t's. most are ddec electronics, the het (oshkosh 8x8 tank transporter) is up to around 505 hp, and the hemtt truck with the older mechanical 8v92t was 445 hp. not sure if they bumped them up when they went to electronics on the newer ones. the engines in the m109 howitzer is an 8v71t. the 92's held up good, we ran the snot out of them, the 71's were on the ground as much as they were running.

biggest thing is to make sure you have a good older detroit mech, or you are really, really sure of your own skills. i personally love old 2 strokes,they don't make the torque a 6 cyl 4 stroke does, but nothing sounds like them. there is nothing you can't do to it at home with a few special tools and some patience.

be very careful, these can start with as little as 1/8 of a rev, and they do take off once in a while.never try to turn it over except with a ratchet (never a breaker bar!) snd keep fingers out of the way if you do.

if youget it, start watching the government sales, you might be able to pick up an older, good engine reasonable, they may be hard to get parts for.

99 F350 CC DRW 4x4 PSD 6spd work in constant progress
Hypertech, 8" lift, Kelderman rear air ride, 4" exh, zoodad, tube grill, push bar, Dynatrak freespin w/ crossover steering, short throw shifter, coolant filter, AFE stg II, HPX, Fuel pressure gauge, 05 eagle eye headlights, LED tailights, cab and fender, rear line of fire LED'S, Bypass oil filter, FASS fuel kit, regulated return, water/meth injection, Southbend clutch, NEXT- upgrade CAC, Injectors, Turbo, Better chip, and a 22.5 10 lug conversion
Colotow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 04:00 PM   #7
Freightrain
Gear jammin fool

I'm looking at a truck with 450 HP Silver in it. From my DD guy, the Silver came out around '82.

The truck I'm looking at is a '77, so I know it's a repower.

Try to get the motor serial number and I'll see if I can get information from my source.
Built like a MACK truck

1959 B61 Mack
Freightrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 04:06 PM   #8
Brotherman
Threadstarter

Well that doesn't sound like bad news at all.. The more I hear about this motor, the more I want to run one. There are a few shops near me that work on the older DD's. The truck that I'm going to look at has low miles on a rebuild. This particular one is rated at 475hp, so I was told. I love the sound of them, I can watch the truck videos with 8v92's on youtube all day long : .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colotow
the army is still running thousands of 8v92t's. most are ddec electronics, the het (oshkosh 8x8 tank transporter) is up to around 505 hp, and the hemtt truck with the older mechanical 8v92t was 445 hp. not sure if they bumped them up when they went to electronics on the newer ones. the engines in the m109 howitzer is an 8v71t. the 92's held up good, we ran the snot out of them, the 71's were on the ground as much as they were running.

biggest thing is to make sure you have a good older detroit mech, or you are really, really sure of your own skills. i personally love old 2 strokes,they don't make the torque a 6 cyl 4 stroke does, but nothing sounds like them. there is nothing you can't do to it at home with a few special tools and some patience.

be very careful, these can start with as little as 1/8 of a rev, and they do take off once in a while.never try to turn it over except with a ratchet (never a breaker bar!) snd keep fingers out of the way if you do.

if youget it, start watching the government sales, you might be able to pick up an older, good engine reasonable, they may be hard to get parts for.
Old 02-20-2008, 01:23 AM   #9
french277
Euro Sparky/ Wrencher

The other thing it came up in my mind i almost forgot to add this but kinda critcal with old deux temp's(*) is the air box drain if you dont keep that drain port clean you will have some issue getting the ole detorit runaway with it.

I have few close call on them so make a habit to check it out make sure they are not clogged up for some reason. most inline engine will useally have one but vee type will have one or two depending on what series it is.

Merci , Marc

(*) duex temp = two stroke in french
french277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 01:14 AM   #10
navistar45

very good reminder french, and so true. also, if the engine has a tendecy to load up at idle, either dont idle it very long[best choice] or go very easy with the fuel pedal on take off. they can run away under these circumstances also. as mentioned, the silver series is a better design versus the old green ones, however i cant remember the changes that made them better. a silver 8v-92 was a very stout and pretty long lived engine. as stated the 15w40 oil can be used in winter time, but straight hd 30 is your best bet. i'am told the 2 stroke detroits, have a tendecy to shear the multi viscosicty oils.. ?
navistar45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement