steering wander - TheDieselGarage.com
TheDieselGarage.com

Home Forum Who's Online Today's Posts Vendors Advertise
Go Back   TheDieselGarage.com > Ford Diesel & Truck Discussions > General Ford Truck and Excursion

Thread Details Posted by plennen, this thread has received 4 replies and been viewed 696 times.

TheDieselGarage.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 05-02-2008, 08:22 PM   #1
plennen

steering wander

could anyone give me suggestions on a 2006 ford f250 lifted 6 inches 37 inche tires,has approx 2 inches of steering wander. 1 inche left and 1 inch right in steering wheel,truck drives straight.has dual stabilizer shock, new steering box.
plennen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2008, 11:22 PM   #2
flyin05

Send a message via AIM to flyin05
could be worn out front end parts, or a bad trac bar causing the axle to move

Sold-2005 F250 4x4 ext cab. sct tuned bt DJ's, afe stage 2 intake, 58mm turbonetics turbo, cobalt series egt, boost, fuel pressure, 5in exhaust, head studs, egr complete delete by jpscustoms and myself

06022008-usmc
flyin05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 01:12 PM   #3
imported_DieselFord05
Smokin' n Strokin'

From what you said and what you have, it sounds like it's the oversized tires that are giving you that problem. My 35's do it to me a little, and everything on my truck is fine. An off road tire is only going to be so well mannered on the street. I don't care how much technology goes in to it.
5" Kenworth cut stacks. No kitty, no muff. SCT Xcal. Insanity tune
Summit Intake w/Zoodad, power elbow & CCV Reroute
Autometer guages
imported_DieselFord05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 05:27 PM   #4
bootcamp

check the pitman arm steering arm pitman nut could be lose?
bootcamp
SCT XCAL3 Tune by DFuser,fluid damper,MBRP exhaust-no kitty, crossover fuel line, Coolant filter, CFM Intake elbow, Pro Comp 6" stage 2 lift and traction bars,ccv reroute, Gauges-trans,pyro,fuel,bbreg mod, B&W goose neck and companion hitch, firestone airbags, Earls anplumbing-6 hose and fittings to upgrade fuel lines,T/P stage I fuel line kit,Welded up pipe and welded egr cooler install, 4.10 yukon gears, ceramic coated manifolds install with new head gaskets and ARP's, PML trans pan, AEM brute air filter, AirDogII 165 sucking it straight off the bottom of the tank with Hellmans sump and Strictly Diesel RR kit
2010 Honda VFR1200 for when I really want to go FAST My newest collection to the armada, 2004 VW R32 and its all wheel drive
SINGLES CLUB MEMBER #259
bootcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 07:57 PM   #5
FIREBALL

Well, I've been fighting the same problems. First I had to adjust the power steering box. There was excessive play in it. Then one day when I had the front end jacked up I noticed that there was some slop in the wheel when wiggled top to bottom. Took it in and was told it was the ball joints. Sure enough, I could see the play in them when someone else wiggled the wheel for me. So then I take the truck in for the ball joints and the "tech" replaces the tie rod and drag link ends and then tells me I need caster/camber adjustment cams and the ball joints are within spec.
So long story short, check everything. Could be ball joints, tie rod ends, steering box slop or loose track bar bracket.
Big tires aren't the best in this situation but that's way more play than just tires.
My first bet would be the steering box. That was the first to loosen up on mine.
'04 F250 FX4, CC, SB, Zoodad, Innovative SCT XCal2, 4" MBRP, Airaid intake, 4" Superlift front with 5.5" Fabtech springs in back with stock 2" block delete, 18" predators with 35" Nitto's, Isspro gauges overhead. '00 27' Rinker Captiva Millinium, 454MPI Captains Call exhaust. '06 '33 Tahoe Transport. '03 Polaris Predator 500, K&N, WB pipe, '08 Polaris Outlaw 525 S.
FIREBALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement