CAT Injector problems! - TheDieselGarage.com
TheDieselGarage.com

Home Forum Who's Online Today's Posts Vendors Advertise
Go Back   TheDieselGarage.com > Heavy, Medium, Work Trucks and Trailers > Heavy Duty

Thread Details Posted by S-AOW, this thread has received 11 replies and been viewed 5926 times.

TheDieselGarage.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 08-27-2009, 08:54 PM   #1
S-AOW

CAT Injector problems!

Pls I'd like to ask;
1. How can anybody determine that an injector is bad without an electronic diagnostics test?
2. Is it true that if just one injector is bad, then all the rest could automatically be bad?
3. Can the 1999 C-12 CAT injectors be serviced?
4. What actually damages an injector?
6. Generally what is the half life (service life in terms of time or miles) of an injector?
7. Pls can you kindly briefly describe how the injector works or where do I get materials to sturdy so I can understand this
S-AOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2009, 02:26 AM   #2
Lmackattack
Highway to Hell

Im more of an old school engine guy but i will try to help answer.

1) some times you can use a infra red heat gun to see if that cyl is fireing, this is just a simple test to see what cyl is having issues. most times with an electronic engine you need to plug in to the ECM to be 100% sure.

2)no.

3)?

4) Damage or cause poor operation?...water, blown tip, dirt in the fuel, high EGT melting the tips,

5) I dont have specs for cat motors but they can last 500,000 or 1,000,000+ all depends on how the engine was treated and the conitions it was in.

6)a diesel injector sprays fuel into the combustion chamber so that the fuel will ignight when the cyl temps and piston hight is just right. its basicly like a pop off valve that holds high press fuel and releases the fuel when a cam or electronic pulse tells its time to release the fuel. The spray pattern, presser, pulse all make the diffrence in its performance. the injector and pump on a diesel work with each other to make sure that fuel and timing are correct for the engine. fine tuning bot of these will make more HP or TQ depending how its tuned..

2)

OH...AND A FEW TWISTS OF THE FUEL SCREWS ....THANKS AGAIN... FJH!
Lmackattack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lmackattack For this addition to TDG:
S-AOW (08-28-2009)
Old 08-28-2009, 08:29 AM   #3
S-AOW
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lmackattack View Post
Im more of an old school engine guy but i will try to help answer.

1) some times you can use a infra red heat gun to see if that cyl is fireing, this is just a simple test to see what cyl is having issues. most times with an electronic engine you need to plug in to the ECM to be 100% sure.

2)no.

3)?

4) Damage or cause poor operation?...water, blown tip, dirt in the fuel, high EGT melting the tips,

5) I dont have specs for cat motors but they can last 500,000 or 1,000,000+ all depends on how the engine was treated and the conitions it was in.

6)a diesel injector sprays fuel into the combustion chamber so that the fuel will ignight when the cyl temps and piston hight is just right. its basicly like a pop off valve that holds high press fuel and releases the fuel when a cam or electronic pulse tells its time to release the fuel. The spray pattern, presser, pulse all make the diffrence in its performance. the injector and pump on a diesel work with each other to make sure that fuel and timing are correct for the engine. fine tuning bot of these will make more HP or TQ depending how its tuned..

2)
Hey thanks!

"4) Damage or cause poor operation?...water, blown tip, dirt in the fuel, high EGT melting the tips,"

What is high EGT melting the tips? and if any/all of the above happens; can the injector be fixed(or serviced)? / always replace the injector when anyone of the above happens?

Thank you
Old 08-28-2009, 03:07 PM   #4
05chopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by S-AOW View Post
Pls I'd like to ask;
1. How can anybody determine that an injector is bad without an electronic diagnostics test?
2. Is it true that if just one injector is bad, then all the rest could automatically be bad?
3. Can the 1999 C-12 CAT injectors be serviced?
4. What actually damages an injector?
6. Generally what is the half life (service life in terms of time or miles) of an injector?
7. Pls can you kindly briefly describe how the injector works or where do I get materials to sturdy so I can understand this
1-- Yes you can but this is a lot easier with CAT ET. Check the resistance on each solenoid with the injector wire removed this will only tell you if the solenoid has an open.Start truck up with one solenoid disconnected listen for change in rpm also this will generate codes that need to be cleared by ET! 2-no 3-Yes only by a qualified tech you have to know what you are doing this is why most go to rebuilds when the injector fails. 4-Water-dirt-coolant,heat you nailed it.
05chopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 09:18 PM   #5
bmoeller

4. Another cause would be low fuel pressure. The fuel also cools and lubricates the moving parts in the injector. Electronic or not. If you only have, or barely have enough to operate the engine, then there won't be enough to do the other 2 jobs. Poor quality fuel without enough lubricating properties can damage injectors as well.

The tolerances are so much tighter than the old mechanical engines, they have lower micron filters. Make sure to buy quality filters. NOT the cheapest. A fuel pressure or fuel restriction gauge is a VERY good idea to monitor the filter condition.

'93 W350 CC, LE, 5spd, HTT modded H1C, 4" DE

Sold- '99 3500 Q/C, SO CTD, 4x4, 5spd.

Traded off- '97 3500 C/C, 4x4, CTD

'92 W250, LE, CC, CTD w/ tweaked pump (SOLD)

"Obama = Hoax and Chains"

If Obama is the answer, it must have been a stupid question.
bmoeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 09:01 PM   #6
bmoeller

Any luck getting the truck started?

'93 W350 CC, LE, 5spd, HTT modded H1C, 4" DE

Sold- '99 3500 Q/C, SO CTD, 4x4, 5spd.

Traded off- '97 3500 C/C, 4x4, CTD

'92 W250, LE, CC, CTD w/ tweaked pump (SOLD)

"Obama = Hoax and Chains"

If Obama is the answer, it must have been a stupid question.
bmoeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 10:20 PM   #7
S-AOW
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmoeller View Post
Any luck getting the truck started?
Not yet but hopefully tomorrow. The mechanics were kinda busy today working on another truck. So tomorrow we'd concentrate on starting it. Thanks for your concern
Old 09-02-2009, 09:28 PM   #8
S-AOW
Threadstarter

The injectors have been fixed and the engine wouldn't start. Two solenoids were changed, the nozzles & basically everything was serviced, cleaned. But the thing wouldnt start. No low pressure from the pump, its pumping fuel like it should, the fuel system has been very well bleed and the engine is still not starting. I've tried to read every scrap, as much extensive information about the engine and all but still cant get it to start.
please am I missing something important somewhere? help!!!!!!!
Old 09-03-2009, 03:30 AM   #9
ynot
The other guy

Thanked 1,182 Times in 767 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by S-AOW View Post
The injectors have been fixed and the engine wouldn't start. Two solenoids were changed, the nozzles & basically everything was serviced, cleaned. But the thing wouldnt start. No low pressure from the pump, its pumping fuel like it should, the fuel system has been very well bleed and the engine is still not starting. I've tried to read every scrap, as much extensive information about the engine and all but still cant get it to start.
please am I missing something important somewhere? help!!!!!!!
Cranking speed?? Try ether (BTW, piecing out injectors isn't always the way to go [or ever for me])
ynot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 04:21 AM   #10
french277
Euro Sparky/ Wrencher

L'autre chose que vous devez garder dans votre avis(esprit) avec le moteur diesel électronique quand vous les commencez en haut vous doit observer la vitesse de départ c'est très important dû l'ECM lira la vitesse de démarrage.

Si je me le rappelle le droit le plus allumera les injecteurs une fois que vous surmontez 150 À 200 TR-MIN démarrant à la manivelle la vitesse donc vous avez besoin d'au moins 250 TR-MIN ou plus l'obtenir le début.

Si pas un trop mauvais éther d'essai de vitesse de démarrage { l'avertissement n'utilise pas trop ou résulte une serrure d'éther ou plus mauvais }

The other thing you have to keep in your mind with electronic diesel engine when you start them up you need to watch the starting speed this is very important due the ECM will read the cranking speed.

If I recall it right most will turn on the injectors once you get over 150 to 200 RPM cranking speed so you need at least 250 RPM or more to get it start.

If not too bad a cranking speed try ether { warning do not use too much or result a ether lock or worse}

Merci,Marc

Last edited by french277; 09-04-2009 at 04:23 AM.
french277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement