Drivers seat is dead! No power seat or heat. - TheDieselGarage.com
TheDieselGarage.com

Home Forum Who's Online Today's Posts Vendors Advertise
Go Back   TheDieselGarage.com > GM Diesel & Truck Discussion > General GM Truck Forum

Thread Details Posted by 04dmax, this thread has received 9 replies and been viewed 28739 times.

TheDieselGarage.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 03-22-2010, 06:21 PM   #1
04dmax

Question Drivers seat is dead! No power seat or heat.

Hey all, I have read thru alot of posts and enjoy the valuable information! I acquired my first deisel (04 Duramax SB Crew Cab) at Christmas and love it. When I got it everthing worked.

About a month ago, I realized I now have NO POWER AT ALL ON THE DRIVERS SEAT. No 8-way controls and no heat. I have read about lots of problems with seat heaters and the elements, but haven't found anybody that lost all power.
  • I checked what I think are the fuses (though not really sure since the labels are not obvious)
  • I didn't see any pinched cables under the seat

Passenger seat works! Anyone know where I should start? What fuse/relay controls just the drivers seat? Or is it something under the seat?
Thanks in advance!
04dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2010, 08:00 PM   #2
merlin5577
Gone Fishin...

Send a message via AIM to merlin5577 Send a message via Yahoo to merlin5577
Your truck has two main fuse panels, one under the hood, drivers side, next to the battery. Panel two (where I would look first) is inside the cab. Open the drivers side door, near the door hinge is a triangular panel with a pull tab, pull on the tab and voila'. On the inside of the triangular panel is a diagram (its also in your owners manuel) telling you which fuse is for what. From what your describing, you most likely have one or more dead fuses. Good luck.

My Fleet;

2011 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 2.0L 6A
2010 Chevrolet Malibu LT 2.4L 6A
2003 Chevrolet Silverado LS 6.6L 5A
1997 GMC Suburban SLT 5.7L 4A

TDG MAFIA
Quote:
If you dont stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them.
Thinking of buying a Duramax? You need to click this link;

Reading material

I am an old Fart;

Toot-Toot

merlin5577 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 08:12 PM   #3
04dmax
Threadstarter

Merlin,
Thanks. I have been thru most of the fuses in both panels... None are labeled 'seat' or anything close. So I guess more specifically, my question is: Which fuse controls power to the drivers seat? Or is it really a fuse since the passenger seat works?
Old 03-22-2010, 10:06 PM   #4
496 BB
496 Cubic Inches

Try this for seeing if the actual element is bad.

Also I found a TSB regarding those that I remembered from back in the day. Heres the text of it.

Subject: Intermittent Heated Seats Inoperative, DTC B3941 Set (Reprogram Driver Seat Module) #05-08-50-008 - (08/19/2005)

Models: 2003-2005 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, Escalade EXT
2003-2005 Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe
2003-2005 GMC Sierra, Yukon, Yukon XL, Yukon Denali
All with Seat FRT, Individual (Non BKT) (RPO AN3)
2003-2005 HUMMER H2 with Seat, Front Bucket Deluxe (RPO AR9)

Condition

Some customers may comment that occasionally the seat heater will not operate when activated. If the ignition key is cycled OFF and back ON again, the heated seat will operate correctly. Also, on some LB7 diesel engine vehicles, the seat heater may turn itself off during the first 10 minutes of operation. This occurs only with the first activation for the day and works correctly with subsequent activations immediately after the event. These conditions are intermittent and DTC B3941 may be set.
Correction

Technicians are to reprogram the driver seat module with an updated software calibration. This new service calibration was released with TIS satellite data update version 6.5 available June 13, 2005. As always, make sure your Tech 2 is updated with the latest software version.
Warranty Information

Labor Operation

Description

Labor Time

N9524*

Driver Seat Module - Reprogram

0.4 hr

*This is a unique labor operation number for use only with this bulletin. This number will not be published in the Labor Time Guide.

Subject: Driver or Passenger Heated Seats Turn On By Themselves - kw GMT800 GMT805 GMT820 GMT830 seat unwanted heat right left front switch operation #PI01850 - (03/08/2004)

Models: .

When servicing the vehicle with the VIN you entered, the following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the described symptoms.

Condition/Concern:

A customer may comment that the front passenger or drivers heated seats turn on by themselves. Dealer technicians my not be able to duplicate the concern and no DTCs will be set. This concern maybe caused by the customer inadvertently contacting the heated seat switch.

Recommendation/Instructions:

To correct this concern, a new low profile switch has been released. The new part number switches are as follows:

15116861 passenger

15116862 drivers w/ memory, heated, and adjusted pedals

15116863 drivers w/ memory and heated only

Please follow this diagnosis process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed. If these steps do not resolve the condition, please contact GM TAC for further diagnostic assistance. This diagnostic approach was developed for the vehicle with the VIN you entered and should not be automatically be used for other vehicles with similar symptoms.

Models:

(03 and 04 Chevrolet Silverado) and (03 and 04 Chevrolet Avalanche) and (03 and 04 Chevrolet Tahoe, Suburban) and (03 and 04 GMC Sierra, Sierra Denali) and (03 and 04 GMC Yukon, Yukon XL, Denali, Denali XL) and (03 and 04 Cadillac Escalade, EXT, ESV)

I cant remember but I think that fuse is tied with something else like windows or door locks or something. Or its a fusible link. Like I said I dont recall. I do think its a blue 15A fuse though. Just start looking at the fuses in the cab and then in engine compartment. If there is one blown you will see it.

EFI Live, K&N CAI, MSD, Plug mod (in testing), 160* T-Stat, Flomaster 40 Series SS (Duals)(No tails), Custom H-Pipe, (2) RF P2410's in custom down fire box, Rockford Old Skool 250aii amp, AirLift bags, On board compressor, Custom mount gauges, Body colored trim, 285 Revo ATV's, 16x10 Ions, 6K HID Lows & Fogs, Blue LED Dash, Blue LED Switches, Blue LED Footwell Lights, Blue LED Interior Lighting, and so much more....

Some people are like Slinkies ... not really good for anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one tumble down the stairs

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
496 BB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 12:52 PM   #5
04dmax
Threadstarter

I actually did check the elements...BUT the problem isn't just the seat heaters....I HAVE NO POWER what-so-ever. I can't even move my seat!
Old 03-23-2010, 02:11 PM   #6
fordt
Administrator

Thanked 1,064 Times in 566 Posts
Have you put a voltmeter to the plug to see if there is power getting to the seat?

Quote:
Age is a hell of a price to pay for maturity.
fordt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 12:27 PM   #7
04dmax
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordt View Post
Have you put a voltmeter to the plug to see if there is power getting to the seat?
Any idea which plug? There are about 12 under the drivers seat. I assume it would be a red wire... Does anyone know or maybe I just need to pick up a chiltons...
Old 03-29-2010, 04:16 PM   #8
fordt
Administrator

Thanked 1,064 Times in 566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04dmax View Post
Any idea which plug? There are about 12 under the drivers seat. I assume it would be a red wire... Does anyone know or maybe I just need to pick up a chiltons...
I can take pictures tonight. I only have one plug.

Quote:
Age is a hell of a price to pay for maturity.
fordt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 04:23 PM   #9
496 BB
496 Cubic Inches

OK heres anything and everything about the electrical in your truck.

http://www.gmupfitter.com/publicat/2...lectric_CK.pdf

EFI Live, K&N CAI, MSD, Plug mod (in testing), 160* T-Stat, Flomaster 40 Series SS (Duals)(No tails), Custom H-Pipe, (2) RF P2410's in custom down fire box, Rockford Old Skool 250aii amp, AirLift bags, On board compressor, Custom mount gauges, Body colored trim, 285 Revo ATV's, 16x10 Ions, 6K HID Lows & Fogs, Blue LED Dash, Blue LED Switches, Blue LED Footwell Lights, Blue LED Interior Lighting, and so much more....

Some people are like Slinkies ... not really good for anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one tumble down the stairs

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
496 BB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 02:19 PM   #10
honda4ever2

I had the exact same problem...Power seat on driver side didn't work.....passenger did! Neither seat heater worked in front seats... Checked all fuses and circuit breakers,,,all good! All of a sudden it started working again. Then stopped. Come to find out if you look under the driver seat from the back seat, there is a wiring junction clip with some pretty heavy gauge wires, maybe 2 rows of 8 wires......I could see bare wire on the black,,,,assuming that is the ground and I think the one next to it was yellow, it also was showing bare wire,,,,i pushed the wires firmly into the clip and the seats started working. It appears the wires either get kicked around by kids feet or the seat moves forward and they have a little stress and pull apart???? works now....Hope this helps cause it seems that a lot of people are having this problem....
honda4ever2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement