Project Super Single Dually - TheDieselGarage.com
TheDieselGarage.com

Home Forum Who's Online Today's Posts Vendors Advertise
Go Back   TheDieselGarage.com > Ford Diesel & Truck Discussions > Ford - Modification instructions, Product installs and Tech Articles

Thread Details Posted by abrannan19, this thread has received 27 replies and been viewed 49932 times.

TheDieselGarage.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 03-29-2010, 01:37 PM   #1
abrannan19
Supporting Vendor

Project Super Single Dually

this is a project that we just wrapped up, figured some of you TDG guys would like to see it as its quite different from anything we have seen before.

Here is some background:

We have a customer locally that bought a 2004 King Ranch dually with 22.5's on it. Ever since he has owned it, he has wanted super singles on the rear and not the standard dual 22.5's like what was on it. I personally didn't like the idea, but its not my truck. Upon many phone calls and lots of research, we found that the smallest super single tire available was 40" tall. Anyone that knows out trucks knows that a BIG honkin' tire. After the customer kept on pushing for a super single in the rear, I had a buddy that does all my semi tire stuff for me, he happened to have a 22.5" x 14" super single available and a super single tire available, so he mounted it up for me and we took it to the shop and did a test fit. The tire and wheel went on but it it on both outside edges of the bottom of the fenders. So after we get it on, we take pictures, get him out to look at it, and he loves it. But in order to get this tire to work its was going to either take pretty invasive fender modification or it was going to take some lift. The customer was totally against a lift, if anything, he wanted it lower. After we got some prices on what it was gonna take to install, he said he needed to hold off for a while. During this time about 2 months we kept in contact and I tried diligently to talk him into just getting 22's or 24's shaved down, then he could lower it and have two wide tires on each side with only a small gap between them, almost giving the illusion of one big tire (to an extent). He still wasn't interested in that. So, the time comes and he brings us money and the truck and says make it happen, do whatever fender modification need to be done. So with that said..we got started. This is not finished by any means, this is just some progress.

22.5" x 14" Alcoa Super Single with a Bridgestone Greatec 445/50/22.5 tire

installed and fenders cut enough for tires to roll (not pretty)

From this point we decided that the distance from the top of the tire to the bottom side of the fender clearance wise looked pretty good, it was the distance left to right that obviously was the issue. We discussed it with the customer and he felt like that would look best also, since the customer will not be regularly towing, we talked about removing the rear block also to drop it down a bit, he agreed. We took the block out and then marked what needed to be cut out to follow the circumference, and this is what we have to date;

this project isn't done yet, we have a friend that is a body shop guy that paints and fabricates. He is smoothing the cuts out and he is going to install an aluminum liner to replace the factory plastic liner and the aluminum will either be undercoated or we are going to try and rivet some ABS plastic over the aluminum to try and retain the factory style look. I know this look inst for everyone, I wasn't too keen on it at first, but its kind of growing on me. Also keep in mind the front tires are going to be changed out to match the profile of the rears and the necessary modifications will be made there also. As far as we know, this is the ONLY truck stock height with super singles on the rear.

here are a couple new pics..its closer, the customer has picked it up, he is planning on addressing the front tires after Christmas, also he is going to repaint the fenders and install new pin striping..he is beyond thrilled with it :shrug::hehe: here are a couple pics;

We finally were able to finish Trey's Super Single Dually, we added a new set of Bridgestone tires on the front, they are 39.5" tall, which is the same size as the rear tires. This size tire required front fender modifications and the front bumper to be spaced out. Trey is very happy with his truck, stay tuned, there is more to come, we will be doing an 05^ conversion with all smoked lights and Harley headlights.

[IMG]http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c23/Abrannan19/Trey%20SS/trey4.jpg[/IMG

let me know what you think, good bad or indifferent, I understand its not for everyone, but there has been more people who like it then I would have guessed.
abrannan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to abrannan19 For this addition to TDG:
Brownjrm (12-11-2014), John_G (07-19-2010), woodsman (05-24-2010)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2010, 01:49 PM   #2
wastedwagesracing
Banned

That would fit my style. I like the big pro stock look. Big tires with lots of sidewall.. But not in the winter...
wastedwagesracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 02:28 PM   #3
fordt
Administrator

Thanked 1,064 Times in 566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wastedwagesracing View Post
.. But not in the winter...
Looks great. Keep us updated as to how you like it.

Is winter that time of year it get's to 50* sometimes?

Quote:
Age is a hell of a price to pay for maturity.
fordt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 03:09 PM   #4
abrannan19
Supporting Vendor
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordt View Post
Looks great. Keep us updated as to how you like it.

Is winter that time of year it get's to 50* sometimes?
lol we got a couple of teens this year in FL for a week..
abrannan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 01:52 PM   #5
boobin

I think it looks pretty sharp. Good job on getting everything setup and looking like it belonged there. Is there really a loss of towing capacity? I have seen commercial tractors with a single rear.

Sumimoto 255/70/22.5 on American Force Classic 22.5 wheels, 4.88 w/Truetrac rear, Mag-Hytec front/rear covers, Mag-Hytec 5R110W trans pan and '08 improved filter, custom front/rear springs from National Spring, Bilstein shocks, Bilstein dual stabilizer shocks, 4" stainless turbo back to a FTE single 6" stack, ARB Snorkel intake, Dfuser coolant filter kit, CFM++ Large Mouth, Doug's custom intake manifold, Powermax turbo w/batmowheel, Warren 175/75 injectors, ARP studded, custom CCV reroute, fan shroud removed, Diehard Platinum PM-1 batteries relocated, permanently installed battery tender with front/rear plug in access, HD250 amp alternator w/remote rectifiers, (9) ISSPRO Performax gauges, Nathan K5s, Warn hidden winch bumper kit, Warn 16.5k winch, Reflexxion steel hood, Jimmijammers, Britebox, Retro Solutions, ATTA 50gal Bed tank/tool box combo, Titan 67gal main tank..Hellman sumped, custom regulated return w/Fuelab pump, 6.4 oil filter canister, AMP steps, F650 lower dash w/nine switch panel , Carling switches, SCT X2 and stuff
boobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 10:47 PM   #6
SSpeeDEMONSS
off to another home

Thanked 1,364 Times in 1,111 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to SSpeeDEMONSS
looks pretty good. an 05+ front end will definitely help the look.

Garrett

BRING BACK THE OLD TDG!
oh well, i have a map to the darkside

SSpeeDEMONSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 10:59 PM   #7
Lonesome7.3

Send a message via Yahoo to Lonesome7.3
How does it haul a trailer now? I have the 22.5 conversion done to mine but I do not have super singles.
Lonesome7.3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 05:04 PM   #8
monkeyboy
diesel weenie

How does it ride? Those have to weigh a ton more than stock, and wouldn't they be stiffer?

I do like the look though.
monkeyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 05:37 PM   #9
jestersv
7.3 addict

that really looks bad *****! I wondered how that would look? I like it!
4) FOR SALE 87 f250 6.9 9' utility body.
5) SOLD 91 f150 good truck just well used.Gonna miss the old girl allways started even after sitting for 6 months.

I think i'm trailer poor ) 22' w\18' tilt car hauler, 18' flat bed, 2 horse D&D, 12' utility, 19' "v" nose, and 37' 5er

"quote from tank"
"I use baby wipes.....

Because if you think that a wadded up piece of paper is actually getting the chit off of your butt.....then I have to ask a question....

.....if you wiped a turd on your arm....would you just use a paper towel to get the turd off?.....or would you wash your arm?...

...let that thought roll around in your head for a moment...

" thank you tank for that insightful thought

#46 AMERICAN (blood) club
#241 singles club
# ? Dually club
# ? Excursion club
jestersv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 08:05 PM   #10
4cstr

I wasn't really too keen on the look, but it does look better with the matched front tires.

2012 F350 KR Dually, stock...bone stock.

early 99 PSD CC F250, DP Tuner F-5, Stealth Stage I, Casserly 160cc singles, Monsterbox Tranny, MBRP cool duals, ITP Regulated fuel system, Cobalts and Performax gauges, and way to much else to remember right now. **traded**

2004 Excursion Limited 6.0L, Dipricol gauges on the A-Pillar, Bilsteins and BFG's on the corners, lost EGR (not looking hard for it either), ARP studs, RCD Black Onyx head gaskets, MBRP 4" exhaust, (labor performed by Dan @ Midwest Transmission) **giggled when traded**

Quote:
I'm pretty good at drinkin beer -Billy Currington
4cstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement