Oasis report /buying advice request - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by alaskapablo, this thread has received 2 replies and been viewed 965 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 09:47 PM Thread Starter

Question Oasis report /buying advice request

Thanks in advance for the help - my first post on TDG. I'm doing homework on an '01 F350 XL PSD 7.3 CC with 137k that was a fleet vehicle for the first 2 years of its life. I'd post the craigslist link, but there's not much there... I'm wondering what the Service Plan Co. contract claims were for with its first and second owners, and whether I should be concerned.

This is my first diesel, and second truck - and hoping to minimize the infamous expensive diesel repairs! Any advice on 7.3's, common issues, etc. would be most welcome. I'll be driving it daily to work (15 miles round trip) year round, plus several longer trips (250+ mi.) in the summer, as well as hauling 5+ tons of hay several times in August, and taking horses to and from the arena. I'm definitely willing to add block heaters, fuel additives, and whatever else will keep this (or whichever one I end up getting) running smoothly for a long long time.

Oh yes - the VIN: 3FTSW31F71MA06274.

I can offer more info, if anyone wants to know more. I wish I had mechanical expertise to offer here, but for now I'm just a prospective owner seeking solid advice. I am excited, though, about getting my first "real" truck!

Thanks again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-28-2011, 05:52 AM

Attached! can't say I have much advice about what to watch out for... haven't ever owned one of these trucks. Warranty doesn't show anything I would be concerned about. Being that the truck is 11 years old... the warranty info in the claims isn't telling you much, especially because it was a fleet vehicle. I often see very few warranty claims on fleet vehicles because companies don't like taking them out of service to be worked on unless it's absolutely necessary. Plus, warranty ended ~7 years ago... so there is all that service history missing from the list.

If I were you, I would definitely get a CARFAX and inspect it (or bring along a friend who can). Hopefully some other members can chime in on what to look for. Might also want to post in the main forum asking what to look/ watch out for.

Hope this helps!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Claims.pdf (82.4 KB, 42 views)
File Type: pdf VIR.pdf (110.4 KB, 121 views)

Last edited by Stuntman8895; 12-28-2011 at 05:56 AM.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-28-2011, 06:27 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Thanks, Stuntman. I figure most of what can go wrong will be minor during the warranty period, and substantial after it's expired - if you don't treat it right! And I'm not brand-loyal (yet) - I also hear that the LBZ Duramaxes (06-07) are also worth the investment, but with a higher price tag. Minimal faulty design (and some interior comforts) are what I'm looking for.

Carfax is already done on this one - 3 owners, but the current one has had it 6 years, and just a fuel line replaced. Not bad for a fleet-run 11-year-old. We'll see - and I'll definitely start a thread about what I'm looking for.

I appreciate your help. I may be asking for more help, but when I finally sign on the dotted line, you'll be one of the first to know. Cheers!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode