07-5-11 Vibration/hop At 40-48 Mph (68-77 Km/h) - (8.0 Hz) - Trailer Hitch Equipped V - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by Squatch, this thread has received 12 replies and been viewed 7177 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-22-2007, 03:38 AM Thread Starter

07-5-11 Vibration/hop At 40-48 Mph (68-77 Km/h) - (8.0 Hz) - Trailer Hitch Equipped V

Printable View (47 KB)
TSB
07-5-11 VIBRATION/HOP AT 40-48 MPH (68-77 KM/H) - (8.0 HZ) - TRAILER HITCH EQUIPPED VEHICLES ONLY

Publication Date: March 1, 2007

FORD: 2005-2007 F-Super Duty

ISSUE:
Some 2005-2007 F-Super Duty vehicles with a long wheelbase of 156", 158", or 172" (396, 401, or 437 cm) and equipped with a trailer hitch may exhibit a vehicle vertical vibration, often described as "hopping", on smooth or coarse road surfaces in the 42-48 MPH (68-77 Km/h) speed range. Although this behavior is considered normal for an over 8500 GVW truck, some customers may be sensitive to the concern.

ACTION:
To improve the 42-48 MPH (68-77 Km/h) vertical vibration, follow the instruction sheet included in the Damper Service Kit.

NOTE: THE INSTALLATION OF THIS DAMPER WILL NOT IMPROVE RIDE ON SEGMENTED CONCRETE HIGHWAYS, STEERING WHEEL VIBRATION/SHIMMY, OR GENERAL HARSH RIDE CONCERNS.

PART NUMBER PART NAME
5C3Z-5D008-A Damper Service Kit

WARRANTY STATUS:
Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage
IMPORTANT: Warranty coverage limits/policies are not altered by a TSB. Warranty coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part.

OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME
070511A 2005-2007 F-Super Duty With Trailer Hitch: Install The Damper Service Kit. 0.6 Hr.

DEALER CODING
BASIC PART NO. CONDITION CODE
5D008 42

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: The information in Technical Service Bulletins is intended for use by trained, professional technicians with the knowledge, tools, and equipment to do the job properly and safely. It informs these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or provides information that could assist in proper vehicle service. The procedures should not be performed by "do-it-yourselfers". Do not assume that a condition described affects your car or truck. Contact a Ford, Lincoln, or Mercury dealership to determine whether the Bulletin applies to your vehicle. Warranty Policy and Extended Service Plan documentation determine Warranty and/or Extended Service Plan coverage unless stated otherwise in the TSB article. The information in this Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) was current at the time of printing. Ford Motor Company reserves the right to supercede this information with updates. The most recent information is available through Ford Motor Company's on-line technical resources.

Copyright 2007 Ford Motor Company

06 F-350 Crewcab 5.9 CR
03 Excursion 6.0
99 F-250 7.3
97 Dodge 3500 5.9
95 F-250 7.3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-24-2007, 11:00 PM
Old Geezer-TDG Mafia #19

Had this one done on my truck, it is a big honking weight mounted in rubber that goes on the left rear frame horn by the hitch mount. Can't tell that it made any differance.

LargeCar :mafia

LargeCar

Mafia # 19 The Dually Club # 19

If a country does not remember and honor its fallen heroes of the past, in the future that country will not be honored or remembered.

G.R. Wemmer

A veteran is someone who, at one point in his/her life wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'up to and including their life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-24-2007, 11:28 PM

how does putting a weight on your truck fix something that is driveshaft or pinion related fix the problem?? BTW mine hops too.
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-25-2007, 05:17 AM
Old Geezer-TDG Mafia #19

The hop is due to the wheelbase and the distance between the seams in the road. This is an attempt by ford to cure the sometimes present hop or bounce from the stiffness of the springs and the dips in the road surface getting in time and causing the hop at the speed in the TSB. I had the thing put on and it does not stop the seam hop thing. The TSB does not say this is for driveline related vibrations or hops.

I agree that a weight on the rear of the frame would do little for a drivetrain related issue. It would to some extent counter-act the whole truck starting the seam hop that gets worse as it progresses. I have found that a change in speed is the most effective cure, under 55 is smooth, over 75 is smooth, speed here is 65 so to avoid tickets (and the wifes rath) I do the 55 thing.

Largecar :mafia

LargeCar

Mafia # 19 The Dually Club # 19

If a country does not remember and honor its fallen heroes of the past, in the future that country will not be honored or remembered.

G.R. Wemmer

A veteran is someone who, at one point in his/her life wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'up to and including their life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-09-2007, 05:17 PM

I dont think that my truck did this when it was new and I have wondered if there is a problem with my truck. Atleast I know there is nothing seriosly wrong with the truck. Now my truck has about 60000 miles on it. With my truck the hopping has absolutely nothing to do with road conditions. Whenever I am accelerating through 40 to 45 mph or driving in that speed range the truck will hop up and down. Even if I am accelerating quickly the truck will still do it for a split second inside of the 40 to 45 speed range. It feels like the frame is flexing more than the suspension is moving but I cant really tell what it is.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-27-2007, 02:52 AM

I've had this problem since day one. Had the stealer ship look at it before this TSB. I guess that I'll go back and show them this. Haven't had a good fight in a while. Looking forward to shoving this TSB in their face. Thanks guys.on:

2006 XLT 6.0, 72,000 miles. First owner. Build date 10/05, CC,LB,3.73LS,SRW,ISSPRO Pyro-Boost-Trans on the APillar,ARP Studs,Stock HG's,ELITE SCT Tadd's Tunes,Sinister SCT,Innovative tunes,EGR delete,4" turbo back dual exhst, zoodad, ccv mod, Coolant bypass filter, Cage leveling kit,upfitter high idle, running Amsoil 3000 with Archoil, 6.4 banjo's, Blue spring, 03 Turbo w/ 03 pedestal.
Issues: Rear main seal at 1'700 mls. EGR valve, EGR cooler and Oil cooler @ about 43k, Stock Head Gaskets @55k, Black Onyx HG's @72k.
https://www.thedieselgarage.com/galle...028_393362.jpg

Sean H
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-27-2007, 03:18 AM

has any one ever seen how much flex in the frame of a ford its alot
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-04-2007, 09:07 PM

On my '06 it had the hop/vibration from day 1. Dealer at first said "they all do it nothing is wring with yours". With a 3400lb slide in camper on the back it will spill coffee, the service manager spilled his, riding with me. The damper does work. I almost kind-of get how, kinda like the weights in skyscrapers to dampen wind or earthquake sway. It sets up a movement out of phase with the vibration.

longcaster
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-14-2007, 06:27 AM

Just had the TSB done today. For the guys that had this thing installed. Did they install it on the hitch. This is where they installed it on mine. Can't feel a dif. yet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0359 (Medium).JPG
Views:	695
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	11142  

2006 XLT 6.0, 72,000 miles. First owner. Build date 10/05, CC,LB,3.73LS,SRW,ISSPRO Pyro-Boost-Trans on the APillar,ARP Studs,Stock HG's,ELITE SCT Tadd's Tunes,Sinister SCT,Innovative tunes,EGR delete,4" turbo back dual exhst, zoodad, ccv mod, Coolant bypass filter, Cage leveling kit,upfitter high idle, running Amsoil 3000 with Archoil, 6.4 banjo's, Blue spring, 03 Turbo w/ 03 pedestal.
Issues: Rear main seal at 1'700 mls. EGR valve, EGR cooler and Oil cooler @ about 43k, Stock Head Gaskets @55k, Black Onyx HG's @72k.
https://www.thedieselgarage.com/galle...028_393362.jpg

Sean H
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-14-2007, 05:18 PM

I had new gears put in a week ago, got the power back but it still shook.

I had Farmboy Fabrications traction bars put in and that took care of some of it, but it is still there being somewhat masked by the bars.

I am going to have the driveshaft looked at next as soon as I get a chance.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode