06-23-4 Drive-away Shudder Or Vibration - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by Squatch, this thread has received 10 replies and been viewed 3704 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-22-2007, 03:53 AM Thread Starter

06-23-4 Drive-away Shudder Or Vibration

Printable View (51 KB)
TSB
06-23-4 DRIVE-AWAY SHUDDER OR VIBRATION

Publication Date: November 3, 2006

FORD: 1999-2007 F-Super Duty

This article supersedes TSB 05-17-6 to update the vehicle model years.

ISSUE:
Some 1999-2007 F-Super Duty vehicles may exhibit excessive drive-away shudder or vibration, under moderate to heavy acceleration from a stop. This may be due to driveline angle.

ACTION:
Shim the center carrier bracket downward to correct the condition. Refer to the following Service Procedure.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

When shimming the center carrier bracket, a maximum of three (3) 1/4" shims may be used (EOTZ-4A209-A). When refastening the carrier bracket use bolt (56564-S2). A 7/16 x 14 grade 5 bolt may be substituted providing that it extends at least three (3) threads past the nut. Use Motorcraft® Threadlock 262, and torque bolts to 46 lb-ft (62 N-m).

NOTE: IF THE VEHICLE IS NORMALLY LOADED, ROAD TESTS WILL NEED TO BE PERFORMED WITH THE VEHICLE LOADED.

Before beginning the repair, road test the vehicle to gain a feel for the harshness of the shudder/vibration.
Install one (1) shim, (DO NOT use threadlock on the bolts at this point), re-road test vehicle.
If condition is corrected, apply threadlock and torque bolts as directed above.
If condition is not corrected, re-perform step 2 (to a maximum of three (3) shims) and reevaluate vehicle.
NOTE: IF THE CONDITION IS STILL NOT CORRECTED AFTER INSTALLING A MAXIMUM OF THREE (3) SHIMS, REFER TO WORKSHOP MANUAL SECTION 205-00 FOR FURTHER DIAGNOSTICS.

PART NUMBER PART NAME
EOTZ-4A209-A Shim
56564-S2 Bolt
TA-26 Motorcraft® Threadlock 262

WARRANTY STATUS:
Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage

OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME
062304A 1999-2007 F-Super Duty: Road Test To Verify Concern, Install One Shim, And Road Test To Verify Repair (Includes Time To Raise Vehicle And Install Threadlock) (Do Not Use With 4602A, 4602A4F) 1.2 Hrs.
062304B 1999-2007 F-Super Duty: Road Test To Verify Concern, Install One Shim, And Road Test To Verify Repair Condition Still Exists, Install A Second Shim And Road Test (Includes Time To Raise Vehicle And Install Threadlock) (Do Not Use With 4602A, 4602A4F) 1.7 Hrs.
062304C 1999-2007 F-Super Duty: Road Test To Verify Concern, Install One Shim, And Road Test To Verify Repair Condition Still Exists, Install A Second Shim And Road Test Condition Still Exists Install A Third Shim And Road Test (Includes Time To Raise Vehicle And Install Threadlock) (Do Not Use With 4602A, 4602A4F) 2.2 Hrs.

DEALER CODING
BASIC PART NO. CONDITION CODE
4a209 42

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: The information in Technical Service Bulletins is intended for use by trained, professional technicians with the knowledge, tools, and equipment to do the job properly and safely. It informs these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or provides information that could assist in proper vehicle service. The procedures should not be performed by "do-it-yourselfers". Do not assume that a condition described affects your car or truck. Contact a Ford, Lincoln, or Mercury dealership to determine whether the Bulletin applies to your vehicle. Warranty Policy and Extended Service Plan documentation determine Warranty and/or Extended Service Plan coverage unless stated otherwise in the TSB article. The information in this Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) was current at the time of printing. Ford Motor Company reserves the right to supercede this information with updates. The most recent information is available through Ford Motor Company's on-line technical resources.

Copyright © 2006 Ford Motor Company

06 F-350 Crewcab 5.9 CR
03 Excursion 6.0
99 F-250 7.3
97 Dodge 3500 5.9
95 F-250 7.3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-26-2007, 04:31 AM

very helpful thank you!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-29-2007, 10:25 PM
Too much into it now...

I was at the dealership today, and priced out 1 of the shims...$70.00 plus tax.:roflmao:

It is a 1/4" thick piece of steel, with 2 7/16" holes in it, about 11/2"-2" wide, and about 8" long.

The parts guy traced it onto a piece of paper for me...:Thumbup:

Yeah...I'm making my own...:
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-31-2007, 07:37 PM

scan that tracing into a PDF file please i think i could use a couple myself.
:thanks:

2003 F350 CC SRW 4X4, 4" banks turbo back, 4 pos dp tunes, afe2 intake, leveled, gauges
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-09-2007, 05:29 PM

Thanks for the info on this problem. I had found the tsb on another site but it didnt give the info as to what the cure was to the problem. I never had the truck at the dealer for the fix when it was under warrant because i had 8 inches of lift on it. Now the truck is back to stock. I bought a piece of 1/4 thick steel at lowes and made three shims with it and installed them between the carrier bearing and the mount for it. I found that i fixed the acceleration shudder but there was a constant vibration between 1 and 20 mph. I have since installed some small pieces of flat steel between the shims and the carrier rubber to compress the rubber that the bearing sits in. This fixed the problem. Now I think my truck has no vibrations atleast related to the drive shaft anyways.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-09-2007, 05:37 PM

does anyone know what the stock angles are supposed to be?? front to the carrier bearring and from the carrier bearing to the pinion??

BTW the DR carrier bearing shim kit is much cheaper than what Ford is charging and comes with all the bolts and shims you could need.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-09-2007, 09:06 PM

Heres some more advice take your factory tranny mount and huck it in garbage , then go and buy 7.3 tranny mount its beafier and more rubber, this alone will correct alot of vibration.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-16-2007, 03:59 PM

I dont know for sure the angles that they want the drive shaft at but i have a friend with a cc sb and the both sections of the two piece shaft apear to be pretty much in line. His truck has no vibration or shudder. Once i shimmed my drive shaft the two sections seem to be in line with each other (at the same angle). I have not confirmed this with a angle gauge though.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-26-2007, 05:12 PM

8up

Who is dr?? I thought I might check out their prices.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-26-2007, 10:30 PM

DR is Donahoe Racing.... talk with DC (DC Customs) or Jesse (Farmboy Fabrications) on here. I just wanted you to see what you got with thier kit for roughly $52, much better than Ford and multiple shim widths so you can set it up perfect.

DR Part# EDG-3-37 Carrier Bearing Kit

http://www.donahoeracing.com/access_...php?accessID=5

There is also another option from OUO alot more expensive and won't help if you aren't lifted, but it will put that carrier bearing where ever you need it to be on multiple axis. Diablo Offroad sells thier kit.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode