The Diesel Garage banner

Cracked head

6K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Apacheglen 
#1 ·
Hi,
I have a 89 5.9 1st Gen with 2 cracks between the injector and exhaust valve on 3 and 5. :fan

Looking for advice,
weld, machine, new seats, valve job, and plane head ~500 plus parts. he estimated at 600 out the door.

Used head, no guarantee 600 plus shipping

New ebay Chinese head, with valves 640, delivered to my door.

Any success stories from welds?

Any success stories from chineese heads?

Thanks,
GLen

#2 ·
Your best bet is to get the newer head (from an intercooled truck, 91.5+) with the smaller 7mm injector bores. The older heads with the 9mm bores are prone to cracking, and welding and machining them is no guarantee.

#3 ·
Well to add some more insults to this, the local machine shops (have tried 3 now) say that this head is too big to shave (mill) ... So, they can do the welding, but cannot shave it.

So am leaning towards the chineese head with the 7mm injector bores,

Haven't found a cummins head locally.

Again, anyone have luck with the chinese heads?

#5 ·
Although I tend to steer clear of anything made in China, it would be pretty hard to mess up a chunk of cast iron like the Cummins head. You would probably be ok. Just think of this though, if you were about to get on an airplane, and it said "Made in China" in huge bold letters on the side, would you still be comfortable with flying in it? I will take used American stuff before I buy new Chinese stuff.

#6 ·
I agree,you always get what you pay for I know times are tuff but if you have it apart put it back with a good head

#8 ·
Found a head

Well, thanks for the input, but I found a head up in Greensboro NC. Was an industrial version 12V, with the 7mm injectors. The head head had some injectors, but the tips were smashed.

So I have the head installed now, I'll be adjusting the valves tomorrow, and waiting for new injector tips to arrive.

Can't wait.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.