The Diesel Garage banner

6.4l Info

8K views 33 replies 6 participants last post by  pyro2nite 
#1 ·
Recently had a truck get totaled out in my drive way by a drunk driver, I was just looking for some opinions on buying a used 6.4l power stroke. Good / bad all comments appreciated. I been doing a lot of reading on other forums but this is the first one i subscribe to. Thanks in advance for input.

#7 ·
Thanks for the responses, a local dealer told me to avoid them. He said they are very problematic and unlike the 6.0 which brakes alot and often, when a 6.4l brakes they tend to self destruct... any comments on this bit of info. For those spartan tuned, how are your trucks holding up on what tune and any further engine mods like studs?

#9 ·
Well, In that case, that makes me feel a little better. Thanks GUTTS. I went test drive a stock one at a used dealer ship and fell in love with the 6.4l the power and ride was incredible being I was use to driving a little 4 door Toyota Tacoma. Then to top it off I took a friends one out which was spartan tuned and I just thought I was in love with the stock truck. The Spartan tuned 6.4l I drove was amazing and very responsive. So I think i am going to go ahead and bite the bullet and get one.

Any1 else have any response to there Spartan tuned 6.4l, how many miles tuned, any troubles, any mods to the engine, and what tunes are being ran with mods or no mods.

Thanks yall, jut trying to get all the info I can before I get in waste deep.

#10 ·
About 10k miles tuned, and 35k miles on the truck. Normally run just the 150 horse tune to keep the stock clutch happy, and the puffs of soot of the line small. I have to be careful not to spin the clutch with the 210 tune in the higher gears. Fuel economy is rock solid numbers at 18 unloaded speeding and no less than 15 towing.

I'll never sell my 7.3L, but it is parked for now basically to keep it cherry, as the 6.4L runs circles around it.

Just keep the dashdaq on when runnin' to have full safety net of all the numbers, and she'll run better and cooler than stock.

Adrianspeeder

#13 ·
34,000 miles and a bed plate leak (warranty) and a leaky radiator (my $1200 problem). Other than that, awesome! It did have a slight weight reduction at approx 20,000 miles, the best thing that I did to it.

As above, there are lemons of all brands.

Buy one and start enjoying it today.

Tim

#16 ·
Just found a 2009 with 80k miles on it, Probably going check it out tomorrow and hopefully buy it if it all checks out good. Its a 4x4 Lariat, seems to be in very good shape from the pictures I have seen.

Anything to look out for or keep a eye open to while inspecting the truck and test driving it??

#26 ·
Looks like a nice set up, alot better than the AFE. How hard is it to clean the filter. The boys with Spartan said they like the AFE because it is made of sheet metal and is easier to clean the filter than the rest with a simple removal of a metal cover. Almost looks the the S&B is just as easy if you can get the filter out by removing that top cover???? Is the S&B a oiled filter like K&N or a dry reusable filter ?

#29 ·
adrianspeeder, take a look at it again. The filter comes out by just removing the cover. Removing the two larger screws will alway the needed clearence. We both have the same filter

#30 ·
I ordered my S&B air filter, the one pictured above is the 75-5018 and cost $269 shipped, however the company I ordered from was sold out of that model and said they are sending me the 75-5054 which cost $289 for the price of the one I first ordered.... Sounds like a deal to me...

#32 ·
Installed my S&B yesterday, it didn't make too much of a difference on my other wise stock setup. So on to the next mod, I know i am going to be buying a Spartan programmer in the next week or so. In the mean while I would like to order my exhaust system to have at hand for when my programmer comes in. I been looking at AFE, Flo pro, and MBRP and i Know i want to go down pipe back. Spade at spartan told me that the 5" exhaust doesnt make any more power than the 4" AFE... so with that said, which one sounds the best??? I am debating on going with one of the following 3, AFE SS 4" w/out muffler, AFE 5" SS with 24" straight through muffler, or AFE 5" aluminized w/out muffler... Any inputs are appreciated ?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.