The Diesel Garage banner

Shocks

2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Dodgefarmer 
#1 ·
Getting ready to pull the trigger on some Bilstein 5100s and a steering stabilizer for the Cummins. Im at 66k now ( Mike your know the drill here) and feel like the stock shocks are getting weak. Who has replaced the shocks already and can give me some pointers?

#2 ·
Neel I won't harass you on your low total miles:poke.

Although with harvest going on the last two days I have averaged 145 miles each day and the farthest distance from shop/headquarters is 11 miles one way. I am running 8560 lbs with a full tank. The overhead reads after two days 14.2 mpg. One trip was towing a forklift on trailer, about 14,000 lbs. Usually its off no more then 0.4mpg verses hand calculated. With the hard driving including one trip with fifth wheel my oil change notice came on at 4000 miles since oil change.

#4 ·
Rear is ok fronts can be a mofo! Let me know when your dine you can do mine next lol

#5 ·
Only if your coming down and helping!!!

Sent from my IPhone 4s An AT&T not so 4G phone via Tapatalk.

#6 ·
When I changed mine 60-70k miles ago, It wasn't all that bad. It did take a little time, it was more then 1houra but under 2 for all 4 shocks. Done worse jobs that took more cussing. :swear:swear

#7 ·
Mike, My rears should be super simple with my Airbags. How did you do the fronts? I was just going to pick the truck up with my buddy's lift and let the tires rest on the ground, but since it would not pick the truck up when I did my trans service I need to come up with a second plan.

#8 ·
It was 60-70k miles ago(about a month ago:roflol::poke) so don't remember exact procedure other then grabbing wrenches and start skinning nuckles:swear. Anyway I did it on the ground and just used a floor jack to raise it to drop the suspension, I did pull the front wheels. I do have a 9 ton floor jack so its strong enough.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.