Sayin Hey and a Hunting Question - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by imported_LovinPSDs, this thread has received 6 replies and been viewed 443 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-09-2006, 03:50 AM Thread Starter

Sayin Hey and a Hunting Question

Hey guys, been a long time since I been around so I wanted to say hey to everyone. Between engineering, football, weekends and a broken labtop I haven't been around at all. Hope all is well around here.

On a second note, as of lately my roommate has really got me interested in hunting. I won't have a chance to go during gun season because my roommate will be gone. I have been thinking about bowhunting. Season is open until Feb. 4th I believe. I might have some extra time over christmas break because my jobs are kinda not working the way I planned so I was thinking about buying a bow, maybe giving it a go. Anyone have an comments, and advice on a good bow to start with?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-09-2006, 12:22 PM
TDG Mafia Member #21

Go with a good mid level bow to start with. Browning or similar. Make sure you get it from a shop that has someone on staff with some good knowledge of bows. They are going to need to help you tune your bow for your body. A well tuned bow is more important that having an expensive bow. I would recommend carbon arrows as well.

If you have never hunted or shot a bow you will need to do some pretty serious practicing before you hunt. Bowhunting is much more difficult than gun hunting and there is very little room for error. You don't want to wound deer and not be able to harvest them. If you are planning to hunt from an elevated stand, that is where you need to practice shooting from. The deflection is different when shooting down at a target and you need to learn the correction in aim point and the change in body position. It doesn't take as long as you think to do all this, just make sure you do it.

Things that make bowhunting easier:
High "let off" bow/75-80% let off
Try to stay in the 65lb draw weight area unless you are a stud.
whisker biscuit rest
A good range finder

Hope this helps.

2007 F350 CC 4x4, EGR delete, stock for now

Old truck :"01" Dodge 3500 DRW. Goerend Bros w/ triple disk, Edge Drag Comp, Jammer Stage 5's, Turnbuckle, Dakota Digital and ISSPRO Gauges, BHAF,4" FLO-PRO exhaust, Vulcan kit, Holley Blue Pump, TC Lockup Switch, Snow stage 2, a few more little bits in the works

377hp and 823tq @ Smokin' (with stage 3's/no drag upgrade)
"400" club wannabe
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-10-2006, 04:32 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Thanks alot for your reply. I have shot a bow, however, not every often and not from a stand. It just sucks, my room mate really has gotten me interested in hunting lately but I'm missing out on all the gun seasons. Due to a break in school and a good weekend job I'm looking for a weekend hobby/new sport to take up. I have had a great intrest in guns lately too. I accually just bought my roommates 357 from him. More of a security thing for me really. It was along time ago, I dunno if anyone remembers my being robbed post a while back. Either way, it was terrible and I can sleep much better now. Thanks for the info, I would either hit up ****s or Bass Pro shop I think if I would buy one.

Ian

On edit, its good to stop by here again too. Lots of great people and great post. You guys real a very nice site here. Thanks to all for everything I have learned here.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-10-2006, 06:56 AM
Diesel Pro

yeah i remember when you were robbed, that sucked. well have fun with the bow hunting, ive never done it, but aabout 8 or so years ago when i was in cub scout we did some target practice with bows

2006 Dodge 2500 2wd QC SB 5.9 Cummins, 48RE Auto, 4" Exhaust, TS MPD W/HUD, Airaid Intake, 6k HIDs, GoGo Built Tranny, BDTD with Crazy Larry
13.85 @ 99 MPH
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-15-2006, 10:03 PM

PSE makes a good cheap bow too, They shoot good and are plenty fast for a first bow. I had a PSE Deer hunter but i out grew it.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-18-2006, 11:16 PM
Let Me See Yo Grille

Matthews all the way! My first bow, and my only bow! And definitely a whisker bisquit!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-18-2006, 11:27 PM

i have been shooting for about 8 years, and spent 3 years compeeting all over the country, i use to shoot guns all the time but now they sit in my cabnets and get cleaned every few months i love archery, have probably owned 10bows and i LOVE hoyt's, i now hunt with a recurve just because i like the chalange
i would go with a deacent coumpound (like i said i like hoyt) but there are many other good bow's, parker makes a great cheep bow that is very high quality
practice all u can until hunting season and have fun
robert

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode