Tires on 2011 F350 SD - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by densell, this thread has received 21 replies and been viewed 23202 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-28-2010, 09:21 PM Thread Starter

Tires on 2011 F350 SD

Ordered my new 2011 F 350 Lariet SD last month (expecting delivery Nov 15th), and was wondering if I could get some feed back on the tires. When I ordered my 2006 F350 SD it came stock with 18" Continetals on it. These tires were so bad that unless I was in 4x4, I would get stuck pulling out of a driveway if there was anymore than a few inches of snow on it. They are the worst tires I've ever had. Needless to say, I replaced them with BF Goodrich all terrain. The BF tires were incredible - like driving a new truck.

On the 2011, I went with the premium 20" wheels and believe they come stock with Michellins. If anyone has had a chance to try these tires, I would appreciate any feedback, as I'm weighing up the option of talking to my tire dealer and seeing if I can trade the Michellins in towards new BF Goodrich tires similair to what I had on my old truck. I just don't want to waste money trying to off load the new stock Michellins if they are any good. If they are anything like the Continetals I'll gladly pay to get rid of them !

Thanks in advance for any comments.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-29-2010, 01:35 AM

Some of us are having tread problems like in the picture below. I am looking to ditch mine for either BF Goodrich All Terrains or Toyo Open Country MT's in the stock size before the frozen precipitation starts falling.

2012 Ford F350 Tuxedo Black King Ranch, 6.7L Powerstroke, SRW, Long Bed, 20" Wheels, etc......

Traded: 2011 Ford F350 White Platinum Tri-Coat, 6.7L Powerstorke Turbo Diesel, Lariat Ultimate Package, 20" Wheels, etc.......

*SOLD* 2008 Ford F-250, Black with Pueblo Gold, 6.4L Turbo Diesel, 285 65 R20E BF Goodrich All Terrains.

2006 Triton TR20X Bassmaster Classic Edition
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-29-2010, 01:43 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

After the fiasco I went through with the Continentals, I was afraid the Michellins might not be any better. A little saddend to hear Ford is still using substandard vendors to supply the most import part of a truck - the tires ! Unless yours is an isolated incident, I think I better talk to my tire guy about changing out the stock Michellins to the BF all terrains I had. The BF's were fantastic and made a huge difference.
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-29-2010, 03:02 AM

I used BFG AT KO's for a decade on my trucks and really enjoyed them. Only problem was that I couldn't keep them balanced and they did poorly in the mud. I'm now using Toyo MT's and love them. They stay perfectly round and the off-road performance is incredible. The only negative is they make a little more noise than the AT's. But only a little. They're not like Super Swampers or anything obnoxious. I've come to like it. The Toyo MT's are my new favorites.

2017 Ford F350
60 gallon S&B fuel tank
2.5 Readylift level
Viair dual compressor onboard air system
Airlift wireless airbags
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsu..._as=subscriber
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-29-2010, 03:09 PM
Mafia member #6

Garage
Man trade those Michelin in as fast as you can set it up,go with the Toyo MT's you'll love them.
I've had trouble out of mine also and Ford wont help you hardly at all so just go and trade out of them. I just put this set on mine.

2011 SD F350 6.7L
White Platinum Tri Coat
Lariat Ultimate Pkg.
GenII Warn winch mount
Autospring 2" Leveling Kit
35/12.50/20 Toyo M/T's
Dually rear center light
6K HID Headlights/fogs

2008 SD CC 6.4L 4x4 (SOLD)
2010 Camo Outlander 800XT DPS
Rollin' on 30" zilla's

http://community.webshots.com/user/h...host=community
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-29-2010, 08:05 PM

Garage
Not so fast!

I wouldn't be too quick to get rid of those AT2 tires. I have them on mine, and although I only have 2600 miles on them so far, they're still looking like new with no measurable wear.
You might also wish to check out the Discount Tire web site and look through the reviews they have online. By and large, they are very favorable with some people getting 100,000+ miles out of a set.
Of course, there is always the possibility that some owners did get a bad batch, it might be interesting to see the build dates on the trucks having the issues. Then again, it could be that they don't hold up well under aggressive acceleration, I don't do that. But I did have about 4000 lbs. on mine for 600+ miles and so far they're doing great.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-29-2010, 11:50 PM
DJC

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by densell View Post
Ordered my new 2011 F 350 Lariet SD last month (expecting delivery Nov 15th), and was wondering if I could get some feed back on the tires. When I ordered my 2006 F350 SD it came stock with 18" Continentals on it. These tires were so bad that unless I was in 4x4, I would get stuck pulling out of a driveway if there was anymore than a few inches of snow on it. They are the worst tires I've ever had. Needless to say, I replaced them with BF Goodrich all terrain. The BF tires were incredible - like driving a new truck.

On the 2011, I went with the premium 20" wheels and believe they come stock with Michellins. If anyone has had a chance to try these tires, I would appreciate any feedback, as I'm weighing up the option of talking to my tire dealer and seeing if I can trade the Michellins in towards new BF Goodrich tires similair to what I had on my old truck. I just don't want to waste money trying to off load the new stock Michellins if they are any good. If they are anything like the Continentals I'll gladly pay to get rid of them !

Thanks in advance for any comments.
======================================
I bought my new 2011 F-250 Diesel with 3500 bone jarring miles, almost two months ago and it has the damn Continentals tires on it and the only thing I dislike about my new Truck.. I had them on my Trade-In a F-150 and hated them.. They needed air every week, they wear LIKE STEEL and Rides like STEEL as well.. My new truck ride is terrible because of the Continentals... I complained about them while making the deal and dealer said he didn't have any 18" Mitchellins Tires in stock, so figured I'd just buy myself a set of Mitchellins at Cosco's. Now find everyone bad mouthing the Mitchellins and don't know what Brand of Tires to go with.. I don't go off road towing.. just want a good riding tire and one that holds air and wears well 60,000 to 75,000 mile tire with a load range for 5,500# RV Trailer.. Any help is appropriated!

Last edited by DJC; 10-30-2010 at 12:01 AM.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-30-2010, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJC View Post
======================================
I bought my new 2011 F-250 Diesel with 3500 bone jarring miles, almost two months ago and it has the damn Continentals tires on it and the only thing I dislike about my new Truck.. I had them on my Trade-In a F-150 and hated them.. They needed air every week, they wear LIKE STEEL and Rides like STEEL as well.. My new truck ride is terrible because of the Continentals... I complained about them while making the deal and dealer said he didn't have any 18" Mitchellins Tires in stock, so figured I'd just buy myself a set of Mitchellins at Cosco's. Now find everyone bad mouthing the Mitchellins and don't know what Brand of Tires to go with.. I don't go off road towing.. just want a good riding tire and one that holds air and wears well 60,000 to 75,000 mile tire with a load range for 5,500# RV Trailer.. Any help is appropriated!
There is nothing better than the 18" Toyo Open Country AT, available at Les Schwab. The MTs look cooler, but are noisier down the highway and get a little less MPG. They are expensive, but you get what you pay for. Good luck.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-30-2010, 01:53 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Thanks to all that have offered feedback. Seems like a little bit of a mixed-feel towards the Michellins. I should, perhaps, clarify that all of my driving is on paved roads. I do not go 'off-roading' and I do not do any 'burn outs' or spinning of the wheels on pavement (not intentially anyway). I'm just looking for a good performing tire that will give ample traction in all weather especially snow.
With the Continentals, I just couldn't get any traction in snow and unless I was in 4x4 the truck just didn't feel safe. They really were not even safe on wet roads, let alone on snow. I've never experienced tires that were so bad.
If anyone else has put some miles on the Michellins I welcome any feedback - good or bad.

Again thanks for the input.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-30-2010, 03:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pstrang View Post
There is nothing better than the 18" Toyo Open Country AT, available at Les Schwab. The MTs look cooler, but are noisier down the highway and get a little less MPG. They are expensive, but you get what you pay for. Good luck.
I agree with the Toyo AT's if MT's aren't your thing. Great tire that wears really well. I found them very similar in performance to the BFG AT KO's with one big difference. The Toyo's stayed in balance better than the BFG's. You can't go wrong with those tires.

2017 Ford F350
60 gallon S&B fuel tank
2.5 Readylift level
Viair dual compressor onboard air system
Airlift wireless airbags
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsu..._as=subscriber

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode