Remote Start - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by densell, this thread has received 9 replies and been viewed 2342 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-19-2010, 02:47 PM Thread Starter

Remote Start

Not sure if I'm doing something wrong, but I thought having the remote start option on my 11 SD would allow me to preheat (or precool in the summer) the cab.
As it is winter now, I was hoping to be able to remotely start the truck and have the HVAC fire up and warm the cab. So far I have not been able to do this. After a remote start, the blower does come on at a very slow speed, but until I get in the truck and cycle the key, the dash is not lit and the digital heating guages are not on.
After cycling the key to the on position, then the digital heating guages come to life and I can now set the duel climate controls to a higher temp which in turn increases the fan speed and starts delivering warm air to the cab. However, as none of that seems to work until I cycle the key, I dont see any advantage to remote starting (other than to prewarm the engine). I also have the suplimental cab heater option, but agian, as the fan is not switched to high, until I cycle the key, no main advantages are relized with that either.
I'm hoping I'm doing something wrong and need to set something up in order to allow the HVAC to run at full heat (would be nice if the seat warmer could fire up too).
Any comments will be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-19-2010, 03:14 PM
Duramax/Allison

Garage
Not a Ford owner, but I'm sure they prolly work more or less the same... on the Cheby, the OAT (outside air temp) sensor tells the HVAC which mode to go into during remote start. It determines whether to use Defrost, seat heaters, etc.. all based on temps. There "may" be a configuration area in your trucks on-board computer that enables and disables it, like there is on my Cheby.. You guys have a much more user friendly one, go thru the menu items and see if you can find it.

Don't let the lack of dash lights and indications on the HVAC worry you.. the Cheby does the same.. this is mainly due to the fact that the truck might be running, but it's not "on" so far as being able to drive off with it... the HVAC is in a reduced mode, that's automatically pre-programed from the factory to run a certain way when the OAT is at a certain temp. Remember, a fan running high only works against warming up your engine... the reason they run low is to allow the engine to warm up, while leaching a small amount of that heat into the cabin.. after a 10 min warmup, I find my cabin is "ok" to get into on a freezing morning, and the seats are warm.. BUT no, it's not baking hot inside, and I don't expect that's possible with an idle warmup.

BTW.. I don't know if the Fords have it (I'm sure they do), but there's a cool OnStar app for the iphone and droid that will allow you to do all that (remote start, check the status of the fluids, and much more).. from anywhere.. not just when you're with in radio transmitter range.

2011 Duramax 2500HD LTZ
100% US Made of mostly US parts with some parts from Germany and Japan.

Video of my truck: Youtube Video

2005 E320 CDI
2008 BMW X5 4.8i

Last edited by 747MD11; 12-19-2010 at 03:17 PM.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-19-2010, 08:19 PM

got the factory remote start on my 2011f-450 and alli have to do is preset temp+blower speed and it works just fine, the only complain i have is : automatic shut down after 10 minutes.

F-350 SRW 4X4 crew-cab lariat, 6.4 PSD, Banks ram air+ spartan dpf delete pipe, flo-pro 4'' straipipe.Mag-Hytec tranny oil pan.ELITE head stud +new gasket installed$$$$ coolant filter,

F-350 DRW crew cab KING RANCH 2007,6.0 powerstroke,ARP head stud, Bulletproof EGR cooler,coolant filter,SCT x3with innovative tune,
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-19-2010, 08:50 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

As my truck is the Lariet, it has all digital HVAC controls, so it's not like the manual system where you can slide the control to heat and manually set the fan to high. Everything is set off a LED digital display. The display is blank until I get into the truck and cycle the key, so I can't preset the fan speed, seat heaters and temp without physically getting in the truck and turning on the key.
With that said, perhaps 747 MD11 is right in that although all of the guages are not lit until I cycle the key, but they are still working in the back ground. This could be the case, but I'm not sure as Ive only tried the remote start a few times as it only recently got cold enough. I was expecting the seat heaters to be on and the defrost running at full speed after I initiate the start.
If anyone with the same digital gauges can offer some comments that might help.
Thanks again.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-19-2010, 09:09 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by densell View Post
As my truck is the Lariet, it has all digital HVAC controls, so it's not like the manual system where you can slide the control to heat and manually set the fan to high. Everything is set off a LED digital display. The display is blank until I get into the truck and cycle the key, so I can't preset the fan speed, seat heaters and temp without physically getting in the truck and turning on the key.
With that said, perhaps 747 MD11 is right in that although all of the guages are not lit until I cycle the key, but they are still working in the back ground. This could be the case, but I'm not sure as Ive only tried the remote start a few times as it only recently got cold enough. I was expecting the seat heaters to be on and the defrost running at full speed after I initiate the start.
If anyone with the same digital gauges can offer some comments that might help.
Thanks again.
set your hvac switch to automatic mode. if the ambient temperature is below 32 degrees F, the seat heat and the heated mirrors and rear window defrost will all come on automatically. you can adjust the remote time to stay on longer, up to 30 minutes. to do that, set the selector to 15 minute duration, then press the lock and press the 2x button twice again, that will add another 15 minutes. you can only do that once tho per remote start!!! hope that helps. i think all that info is in the owners manual under locks and security, remote start function. !
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-19-2010, 09:13 PM
Tebow-in'...

just like using the key, the seat heaters (or coolers) do not automatically come back on when you start.

also, there seem to be basic temp ranges that affect what the HVAC does on remote start. when it's hot, the A/C is blowing hard when i get in. when it's nice, nothing seems to be on. lately, when it's cold, i observe the same thing: fan at low speed and in defrost mode.

i attribute the lack of 'blowing high heat' to the same as when i use the key to start the truck and it's cold: there isn't enough heat in the truck to warm the air enough to put it on high fan yet. i've noticed it takes several minutes for the fan to start increasing the amount of warm air when in 'auto'.

i haven't let it run for 10 minutes to see what kind of heat it's producing and how well its defrosting the windows yet - haven't had much frost to put it to the test yet.

Travis
---------------------------------------------------
2011 F350 SRW CC/SB 4x4 Lariat 6.7 PSD Dark Pearl Metalic

1974 Bob'd Deuce on 16.00-20 XZLs, locked front and rear, hydro steering, front and rear winches, 5.9CTD/nv4500, hydro-boosted disc brakes

Member since Jul 05, Dually Club Member #63, American Club Member #42, FOSP Member #8
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-19-2010, 10:00 PM
Duramax/Allison

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum View Post
automatic shut down after 10 minutes.
Chevy does that too... I asked if it can be changed and they told me it was an EPA thing... I don't know if it's true, but that's what they fed me.

2011 Duramax 2500HD LTZ
100% US Made of mostly US parts with some parts from Germany and Japan.

Video of my truck: Youtube Video

2005 E320 CDI
2008 BMW X5 4.8i
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-20-2010, 09:47 AM

my truck is a f-450 king ranch with touch screen

Love my truck

F-350 SRW 4X4 crew-cab lariat, 6.4 PSD, Banks ram air+ spartan dpf delete pipe, flo-pro 4'' straipipe.Mag-Hytec tranny oil pan.ELITE head stud +new gasket installed$$$$ coolant filter,

F-350 DRW crew cab KING RANCH 2007,6.0 powerstroke,ARP head stud, Bulletproof EGR cooler,coolant filter,SCT x3with innovative tune,
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-28-2010, 04:32 AM
Euro Sparky/ Wrencher

Quote:
Originally Posted by 747MD11 View Post
Chevy does that too... I asked if it can be changed and they told me it was an EPA thing... I don't know if it's true, but that's what they fed me.
What I heard which I know it is true on hevey duty series { semi truck class } if you do not have a " Clean Idle " sticker or requirment then they will set the timer to shut off after X numbers of minuites most case what I heard is 10 minuites typically unless you are in PTO mode then it stay off.

Also I know few large metro area are cracking down on few area for long idle period unless super cold then they should have a extempts on that which I don't have that part to read it but I know in France once it get below -15°C or colder then they will leave the engine on.

So therefore I am not suprised what they do with light duy truck aka 3/4 and 1 tonner trucks and after few guys comments that pretty much confirmed my question with idle time.

Merci.
Marc

Pas de problème,il marche n'est-ce pas?"(No problem, it works doesn't it?)
The Following User Says Thank You to french277 For this addition to TDG:
747MD11 (12-28-2010)
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-28-2010, 12:45 PM

I still have not mastered it, but there are settings you have to "Leave on" when you shut down. The defroster will be on, and the fan will be on fairly high. The seat will be on, but as said above, you have to turn it back on.

You can set the run time higher, I think 15 minutes is the most you can do.
I found it on the information page. Don't recall exactly how I found it. But I changed mine.

2011 F-350 Lariat 6.7L CC, LB, SRW. White Platinum Metalic Tri Coat. Retired UAW from GM, 30.8 yrs.
Proud member of the Mo. Air National Guard since 1988, 4yrs USMC before that. Now a full time technician with the guard.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode