Some general questions before I Buy - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by Hatya, this thread has received 13 replies and been viewed 2920 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-27-2010, 12:05 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Some general questions before I Buy

New to the forums, been lurking a bit.

So its 2010/11 and im a new home builder. Nuff said about that. I'm considering hauling some trailers since I live in Northern In, basically the RV manufacturing capitol of the world. I plan on doing this along with some home rehabs until the economy turns around.

To do so I need a truck capable of towing 5th wheel trailers, definitely a DRW truck. Im leaning very hard towards a new F350 DRW 4x4. I need a truck for my construction company, so I will just upgrade my 1/2 ton to a new 1 ton in order to do the towing gig.

Basically the RV companies will not hire you on unless you have a truck that is 5 years old or newer. But many of the guys that have responded to my questions in the towing forums have said that the emissions on the new truck just kill the milage, making them unprofitable for constant towing.

After reading thru these forums it seems that most guys are getting pretty dam good milage towing some big trailers. And empty these trucks get better milage then my current 08 1500.

Im hoping to be able to average 15 MPG round trip, I will be loaded 1 way and return empty. I have done all of my trip calculations based on 15 mpg average and I find the trip profits will be acceptable at this rate.

The new trucks seems to have some huge benefits over the olders trucks, better fuel economy, better transmissions, engine braking systems and so on.

All that being said why does it seems that guys already doing RV towing bad rap the new trucks? Are these guys just old school hard heads that refuse to think outside of the box?

If anyone is towing RV regularly or as a job I'd love to hear from you.

Any advice from anyone on general towing with these vehicles would be great.

At this point I am very close to pulling the trigger and ordering a new F350 DRW 4x4. I drove a F350 SRW 4x4 the other day and was extremely impressed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-27-2010, 01:47 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatya View Post
New to the forums, been lurking a bit.

So its 2010/11 and im a new home builder. Nuff said about that. I'm considering hauling some trailers since I live in Northern In, basically the RV manufacturing capitol of the world. I plan on doing this along with some home rehabs until the economy turns around.

To do so I need a truck capable of towing 5th wheel trailers, definitely a DRW truck. Im leaning very hard towards a new F350 DRW 4x4. I need a truck for my construction company, so I will just upgrade my 1/2 ton to a new 1 ton in order to do the towing gig.

Basically the RV companies will not hire you on unless you have a truck that is 5 years old or newer. But many of the guys that have responded to my questions in the towing forums have said that the emissions on the new truck just kill the milage, making them unprofitable for constant towing.

After reading thru these forums it seems that most guys are getting pretty dam good milage towing some big trailers. And empty these trucks get better milage then my current 08 1500.

Im hoping to be able to average 15 MPG round trip, I will be loaded 1 way and return empty. I have done all of my trip calculations based on 15 mpg average and I find the trip profits will be acceptable at this rate.

The new trucks seems to have some huge benefits over the olders trucks, better fuel economy, better transmissions, engine braking systems and so on.

All that being said why does it seems that guys already doing RV towing bad rap the new trucks? Are these guys just old school hard heads that refuse to think outside of the box?

If anyone is towing RV regularly or as a job I'd love to hear from you.

Any advice from anyone on general towing with these vehicles would be great.

At this point I am very close to pulling the trigger and ordering a new F350 DRW 4x4. I drove a F350 SRW 4x4 the other day and was extremely impressed.
the F-350 is a good choice. you will get better fuel mileage than my 450 because of the rear gear setup. 350's have a 373 and 450 have 430. they are real comfortable while driving also. a lot of new stuff for the 2011's, and i like em all !!
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-27-2010, 02:25 AM
southern-stroke

Send a message via MSN to southern-stroke
The reason most of the guys dog the fuel milage is because if they have Ford it most likely had a 6.4l and it got horrible fuel milage, unless you delete the DPF system. If it was me, I'd delete the emissions and tune it first thing. But I'm assuming you want the warranty. If you drive alot, the warranty will be up within a short period of time anyway due to the miles, after that I'd delete and tune. Just my .02

''Can You Keep Up?'' while I'm ''In The Passing Lane!''
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-28-2010, 01:35 AM
Team White

If you are about mileage stay away from the 6.4 08-10 models. I just picked up a DRW 2011 and the mileage seems to be way better than my 08 that I had. Its only been a couple of days and alot of highway driving but I think with a conservative foot you could pretty easily manage that 15mpg average number.

2011 F350 CCLB DRW Lariat 2wd

AmericanForce/Nitto/Recon/Viair/T-Rex/MBRP/RetroSolutions/SwingCase/AmericanRollCover/WeatherTech/Westin/EzDown/
www.inmotionbuilders.com
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-28-2010, 07:13 PM

Garage
I would say towing a high profile 5er you would be lucky to get 12 with a 350 with the 3.73. On return you will probably do 18 if you keep it under 70. I have an 2011 450 and it cannot do better than 14 empty with tail wind on highway at 65 - but that is 3 mpg's better than the 08 450. Towing 16k (combined 26k) I get 10 with a tail wind- 2 better than the 08. However, te BIG differenc is that the 11 hasn't been in the shop for repairs yet - the 08 was there 125 days out of 700, always at the wrong time.

A word of caution, you may find yourself over gross towing the bigger or more delux 5ers. Recreationers don't have to pull into DOT weigh stations, you might.

John
2011 Job 1 450 w 4.30 rear ends
The Following User Says Thank You to JohnD333 For this addition to TDG:
Hatya (12-29-2010)
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-29-2010, 03:06 AM

I own a 350 srw that pulls a 36 td. Loaded it will get 10-11 with summer fuel, less on #1.
empty a couple more but not much.
My 550 gets 6-7 pulling a 36 td with the cat 272 on.
My 350 dooly c/c says 16 but has only 650 miles on it.
Hand calc has been uncanny accurate unless you idle a few hours.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jcard For this addition to TDG:
Hatya (12-29-2010)
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-30-2010, 06:22 AM
Euro Sparky/ Wrencher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcard View Post
I own a 350 srw that pulls a 36 td. Loaded it will get 10-11 with summer fuel, less on #1.
empty a couple more but not much.
My 550 gets 6-7 pulling a 36 td with the cat 272 on.
My 350 dooly c/c says 16 but has only 650 miles on it.
Hand calc has been uncanny accurate unless you idle a few hours.
During idle mode the fuel useage rate useally run anywhere from 1/3 to 1/2 gal per hour that one thing most Lie-O-Meter will not useally regstreation the idle fuel useage only show the MPG that it.

Unless you read the tank capaity then you will able know where ya at.

Merci.
Marc

Pas de problème,il marche n'est-ce pas?"(No problem, it works doesn't it?)
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-30-2010, 07:56 AM
Built Not Bought

Welcome first off. Im also going into the RV Hot Shot business real soon like Monday. I currently have a 07 2500 Ram and will be using it till the wheels fall off dont really feel like going and buying new have been told not worth the effort and if you cant pay it off in like 15 months or so its a waste unless you just want brand new. Dont know how much you checked into this business but i have did some myself you will get a set of DOT numbers to place on the side of your vehicle so that being said that puts you in the category of vulnerable to the DOT they can pull you over any point and time or check your truck very thoroughly at a scale house and inspection points not saying they will but can so this is the main reason i wil be reinstalling my DPF and EGR back on my truck. These 2 items are alot of the culprit of bad fuel mileage and dealership visits. I wish you the best of luck wit your choice of vehicle. Also wit towing RV's i heard to try and keep my start up cost as low as possible i think i did pretty good by keeping it under $1000 got me a used 5th wheel and borrowing a set of load distribution bars and some other things plates, insurance, fire extinguisher, DOT physical, DOT Truck Inspection etc.. By any chance who are you looking

2011.5 6.7 HO Crew Cab Laramie Dually 4x4 H&S A-1 H11 Studs GDP Pro Gate AFE drop in Isspro EV2 Boost/EBP RDS 90 Aux Tank/Toolbox Combo Reese 20k 5th wheel

2007 2500 6.7 4x4 Handshaker SOLD

Military Quote Of The Year

"When I joined the military it was illegal to be homosexual, then it became optional. I'm getting out before it becomes mandatory."

MSGT Harry T. Serres, USAF Ret.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-30-2010, 01:40 PM

pulling

I have my 2011 DRW for sale in classifieds. We bought to pull our toyhauler. Its setup to pull 5th wheels/gooseneck. Comes with 5th wheel hitch.

Anyway,
Taking it easy and pay attention to your foot, i could pull 21mpg on the meter, which pretty darn close when i fill up.

On hwy going 75mph in summer i got 18.5-19mpg

When we pulled our toy hauler up to the U.P. michigan,which thoughs hills,running 70-75mph, prebably weighing in at 17,000 On way up i got 8.5-9mpg, on way down i could pull 10-11mpg

Wind makes HUGE difference when pulling 5th wheels! Terrain of course is big factor too...when you pull on more flat ground and not pulling hill after hill...your going to do better.

with DRW even going 80mph (which i did going down a hill) It felt VERY VERY stable!
And its VERY quiet inside,even when pulling! If i was pulling for a living, i don't think i could handle all that cab noise. A old 5.9 dodge pulled up next to me at stop light, HOLY CRAP...about blew be out of cab with that loud thing

mike
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-30-2010, 03:05 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOOTBANDIT View Post
Welcome first off. Im also going into the RV Hot Shot business real soon like Monday. I currently have a 07 2500 Ram and will be using it till the wheels fall off dont really feel like going and buying new have been told not worth the effort and if you cant pay it off in like 15 months or so its a waste unless you just want brand new. Dont know how much you checked into this business but i have did some myself you will get a set of DOT numbers to place on the side of your vehicle so that being said that puts you in the category of vulnerable to the DOT they can pull you over any point and time or check your truck very thoroughly at a scale house and inspection points not saying they will but can so this is the main reason i wil be reinstalling my DPF and EGR back on my truck. These 2 items are alot of the culprit of bad fuel mileage and dealership visits. I wish you the best of luck wit your choice of vehicle. Also wit towing RV's i heard to try and keep my start up cost as low as possible i think i did pretty good by keeping it under $1000 got me a used 5th wheel and borrowing a set of load distribution bars and some other things plates, insurance, fire extinguisher, DOT physical, DOT Truck Inspection etc.. By any chance who are you looking

There are no less then 15 different transport companies near me I have applied to a few different ones. There is a very big difference in the pay rate each offers. One company out here told me the pay rate with the fuel surcharge was $1.05 - $1.19, Another is $1.15 - $1.39. The highest rates for all of them are the runs up to Canada. Which offer a milage bonus from .08 - .10 per mile. This is where you start making respectable money.

I have probably spoke with all of them. My plan is to do the RV transport for the next year or so until new construction picks up again. Then I could continue to transport while I build homes for some extra income.

Thats one reason I decided to go with a new truck. I should have a much lower chance of breakdown getting started. Plus the 6.7 fuel milage compared to the 6.0 ireally starts to add up over time. I also did some comparison of cost to purchase on new vs used. And with the difference in interest rates and terms the difference in my monthly payment was not big enough to justify buying a 3-5 yr old truck with 40k - 80k miles on it.

We should keep in touch about our experiences. Should be interesting.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode