6.7 tranny issue - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by Quantum, this thread has received 11 replies and been viewed 4493 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-13-2011, 11:41 PM Thread Starter

6.7 tranny issue

hi have a 2011 f-450, built november 2010, now 20k miles, i'm having tranny shifting issue since new and dealer can't find what is wrong with my truck. when shifting from 2nd to 3rd gear it act like if it were in neutral and then slam into gear "bang" what do you thing dealer should look to solve my problem

thank

F-350 SRW 4X4 crew-cab lariat, 6.4 PSD, Banks ram air+ spartan dpf delete pipe, flo-pro 4'' straipipe.Mag-Hytec tranny oil pan.ELITE head stud +new gasket installed$$$$ coolant filter,

F-350 DRW crew cab KING RANCH 2007,6.0 powerstroke,ARP head stud, Bulletproof EGR cooler,coolant filter,SCT x3with innovative tune,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-13-2011, 11:42 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

truck is stock no mod yet

F-350 SRW 4X4 crew-cab lariat, 6.4 PSD, Banks ram air+ spartan dpf delete pipe, flo-pro 4'' straipipe.Mag-Hytec tranny oil pan.ELITE head stud +new gasket installed$$$$ coolant filter,

F-350 DRW crew cab KING RANCH 2007,6.0 powerstroke,ARP head stud, Bulletproof EGR cooler,coolant filter,SCT x3with innovative tune,
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-14-2011, 08:55 PM

6.7 Tranny Issue

Sounds like you need to get the Factory Rep involved.
Unfortunately if the issue is legit and the condition easily recognized the dealer probably doesn't want to bother pulling the trans and is selling you a song and dance routine. Ask to drive a similar model and make your comparison, even if you have to test drive one from another dealer. Then put on the 20 oz. gloves and get in the ring.elmerfudd

Last edited by Starwarrior; 11-14-2011 at 08:59 PM.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-15-2011, 12:06 AM

Is your transmission the same as would be on my 2011 F350?

If so, I have had trans gremlins since new as well. Been in 4 times for re-flashes and re-learns on the trans but never really gets much better.

Not specific to 2nd and 3rd gear shifts though so not likely the same problem.

Does your dealer recognize the poor shifting issue? Getting a rep involved seems logical next step.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-03-2011, 04:54 AM

I had the same issue with an 07 Ford Ranger. I realize completely that they are not the same transmission, but the issue was exactly the same.

There was a bug in the electronics. They even put a data recorder on it and the Ford reps said I was causing it. A couple times I did, because I figured out the pattern of the malfunction. I was trying to break the SOB as it was dangerous. It would go into that false neutral at the least opportune time like trying to merge onto the highway. All of a sudden there would be no go and the I would peg the tach.

Good luck with getting it replaced. If it isn't throwing a code, they won't fix it. The story I was given was that if no code or obvious issue, Ford won't authorize the dealership to fix it. The mechanics at the dealership I go to, told me that they believed me, but their hands were tied. The mechanics weren't lying as one of them is a friend.

You might have to do something drastic like get the news station consumer person in your area involved etc. Luckily for me, the dealership let me trade it in. Even with that I lost money, probably the same amount that going the lemon law would have cost me.

Some how, you might have to get some kind of leverage. A friend had a video tape of their truck and forced a buy back.

The real problem is that you don't know if the problem is in the main ECM, the TCM or the databus.

The one thing that has caused flakiness on GM diesels are ground wires. You could check (just for sh*ts and giggles) if all the ground wires are bolted up firm and clean. You could also check all the electrical connections.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-03-2011, 03:34 PM

tranny issues

I have an 2011 F-250 which was built in Nov. 2010 and I have had the same type of tranny problems. I drove the truck off the lot early Dec, 2010 and 11 months later still the same intermittent problems. I find if I let my truck sit for an hour or two and then drive it soft on the throttle it will go into neutral when the indicator is in 3rd gear. Backing off the throttle will correct it but it shouldn't be happening at all. Several visits to different dealerships have not solved the problem. They simple don't know as no codes. I have had flashes done, and lots of talk about what might be causing it. I just make sure when I take it in I have my complaint on the work order. One technician said he thinks it is a solenoid problem but I would think since the problem is all over the web, and with videos showing it, that Ford is slowly waking up that they have a tranny problem. Otherwise, the truck has been fine...knock on wood. I have about 50,000 kms on it so far and it has happened about 60 times. It happened twice in one day but is difficult to replicate. Seems to do it when I least expect it? It did slip into neutral when coming off a ramp onto a busy highway once and that could have been dangerous and I was trying to merge into the traffic. This is my first Ford and I have been a Chevy guy for most of my life. My Chevys' have been good (all gas) but this Ford, aside from the tranny issues has been good so far. Great gas mileage. Only other thing was that I got stuck in some snow a couple of times where I shouldn't have. I have the locking diff too with the FX4 off road package. ! I took off the traction control and had good snow tires on so wondered why am I stuck?? I have the auto hubs so I turned them to locking and that helped. So I figured the auto hubs didn't work in the cold. I am in Northern Ontario Canada. I hope someone figures out the tranny to neutral problems as I have to wonder what happens after the warranty is over and the tranny fails?
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-05-2011, 02:33 AM

Garage
I've had a similar problem with my 2010 F250 (Yeah, I know it's not the same transmission). Anyway, the addition of a performance tuner really exasperated the problem, so I mentioned my problem on the 6.4 performance forum. It was recommended that I add 1/2 to 1 quart of transmission fluid. I added 1/2 quart and the problem was better. Added another 1/4 quart and haven't experienced the "false neutral - bang into gear" problem since. You might want to add a little fluid and see if it helps.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-06-2011, 07:25 PM

They could be having the same guy write the code that controls the transmissions, or using common code between the different TCM's. I know when I was writing software and folks reused code, they introduced the same problems into different modules.

Regardless, it seems Ford is having the same issue across different transmission platforms.

With the POS Ranger I had, all you had to do was to be accelerating hard (as to get on the highway) back off the pedal (because Akron Ohio drivers for the most part are AH's and cut
you off) then get right back on the acceleration pedal and it would go into the false neutral every time.

We also have an 05 Taurus that had a transmission bug, it actually was a defective filter.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-07-2011, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starwarrior View Post
Sounds like you need to get the Factory Rep involved.
Unfortunately if the issue is legit and the condition easily recognized the dealer probably doesn't want to bother pulling the trans and is selling you a song and dance routine. Ask to drive a similar aftermarket parts and make your comparison, even if you have to test drive one from another dealer. Then put on the 20 oz. gloves and get in the ring.elmerfudd
Yeah, sometimes these dealers don't know what the problem is and yet they make you throw hundreds of dollars for no reason. If I were you I would take the advice of Starwarrior.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-12-2011, 04:06 PM

There is a TSB based on build date requiring Flash/solenoids or just a flash
I think it is 11-7-10

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode