ANY FACTS ON 'SILENT CAMPAIGN' FOR TURBO PROBLEMS - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by BIG C, this thread has received 4 replies and been viewed 2476 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-08-2012, 02:16 PM Thread Starter

ANY FACTS ON 'SILENT CAMPAIGN' FOR TURBO PROBLEMS

I had one of my 6.4's in the ford shop last week for another oil leak.
I asked how the 6.7 engine was working out because I'm just about ready for a new truck.
I was told flat out DO NOT buy a 6.7 diesel yet, there have been very few problems until about 6 weeks ago.
the shop foreman advised there has been a problem with turbos on the 6.7 across the USA. The real problem has been FORDs refusal to issue a recall or repair bulletin on the problem.
apparently FORD is instructing dealerships not to install any turbos on the 6.7's with the problems from inventory.FORD is sending out replacement turbos in boxes marked FORD CERTIFIED TURBO.

I'm still suffering from knee jerk reaction to all this kind of info due to my horrible experience with the 6.0's and disappointment in my 6.4's,
so..
ANY REAL INFO SHED ON THIS WOULD BE APPRECIATED.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-08-2012, 05:19 PM

This is the first time I heard about the Turbo problems, but I was told that Ford lost a court case about the fuel filters allowing water threw destroying the fuel injection system.
Is there someone in the know on these issues, I hope you are not upset or think I am trying to hijack your thread, I figured both these problems need someone on the inside to answer.

1988 ford van fresh overhaul, 1991 nissan pick-up 1993 Caprice 2000 GMC S10 Blaser 2007 nbs 3500 GMC 4x4 crew-cab long box 17 inch single wheels Duramax Alison. BW turnover Ball. Furakawa FL35 loader. Retired, HD mechanic, worked on engines all my life. Fabricator welder. electrician. in the process of finishing my new shop. Live in Rock Creek B.C. Wife has a fruit stand.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-09-2012, 02:32 PM

Garage
All i can add is that I have a 12 month old 2011 6.7 with 128k on it, and no mechanical issues except for a small turbo oil leak that was fixed under warranty. I have herd rumors of turbo issues on forums but never spoke to anyone that had any turbo issues.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-13-2012, 03:09 AM

I have had Turbo stall issues or "fluttter" for months now. I get get it to do in all gears just before it will shift up. Happens more when towing. As the truck starts to load at the lower RPM's for the gear it will start to "flutter" continuously affecting power. I have to either manually shift the trans or push the accelerator to shift.

It also does it now when I shut the truck off. It will flutter as it stops spinning. Dealer is a PIA for appoitments etc. and I took it in when it first started with no results.

I have been to busy to bring it is again so will just drive it until it gets worse I guess.

Only an issue when I am trying to run the tallest gear for fuel economy.

Not sure if that is part of what shop foreman you spoke with is talking about but that is my experience so far.

Oh, no codes as of yet on that issue so I guess without the computer telling you what is wrong no one can diagnose the issue. I guess it doesn't exist then. Other than that, one NOX sensor replaced. Only 65,000 km's on it so around 40,000 miles.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-14-2012, 11:42 AM

Garage
I'm new to diesels so I don't know what Turbo stall issues or "fluttter" is. Can someone explain? I've noticed that mine will sound a bit different when I accelerate faster than normal. It sounds like the pre-ignition that you hear in a gas engine. Is that flutter? Thanks.

2015 F-350 Lariat CC, LWB, DRW

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode