Need help on this one - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by tethergrain, this thread has received 5 replies and been viewed 1466 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-15-2013, 04:21 PM Thread Starter

Need help on this one

Ok,
I have a 2011 F550, 6.7. runs great, looks good, just turned 61k, tires need to be replaced, (working on that) The OEM suspension seems intact, had to replace the OEM steering damper, may have an alignment issue, maybe the tires since they are worn out abit, the balance may need attn, will wait for the new tires for that. THE PROBLEM RIGHT NOW: I have the worse death wobble on the planet. Oh no, it not only shakes, it is left and right, up and down shaking, the whole front end shutters like Im going over close knit speed bumps.. It oscillates so bad, I have to hit the brakes to disable the shuttering. it occurs on the interstates mostly at speed, 55-65mph, most of the time, truck tracks straight, no pulling, no out of balance vibration or shake when just driving the truck. it is scary to say the least, the shakes occur when the road has certain types of bumps, or expansion joints in the road. Now, Im thinking bad track bar-OEM, alignment out for sure, wheels out of balance. Let me say this, the steering wheel is not positioned straight up and down, it was positioned at the 4 o'clock position, after this past Sunday morning shake, its now 2 o'clock. Im so fed up with this Not so Ford tough truck, Im now looking to get another Not ford product. any suggestions?? BTW all, I have new tires rdy to go on, alignment scheduled, dual steering stabilizers from Rancho,-hopefully they will fit, looks close, they may fit, new sway bar bushings that are even fitted with zerk grease nipples.

Last edited by tethergrain; 04-15-2013 at 04:24 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-16-2013, 12:55 PM

If your working on new tires, then do that first.. The 19.5 tires that come on a heavier truck like the 450/550's, are a different ball game then the lighter tires.. They are dense and heavy, when ones out of balance or has some kind of defect, it can make a truck act up.. As for the not so ford tough comment.. Sounds as though your getting this one used.. Do you have any idea what kinda crap other drivers can put a vehicle through, intended or not...
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-17-2013, 03:48 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Rebuttal

Quote:
Originally Posted by navistar45 View Post
If your working on new tires, then do that first.. The 19.5 tires that come on a heavier truck like the 450/550's, are a different ball game then the lighter tires.. They are dense and heavy, when ones out of balance or has some kind of defect, it can make a truck act up.. As for the not so ford tough comment.. Sounds as though your getting this one used.. Do you have any idea what kinda crap other drivers can put a vehicle through, intended or not...
Bought the truck new, came with 17" tires (why??) I only pull a 28' trailer full of race bikes, not even 5k lbs. Problem was solved this past two days. alignment was the biggy, track bar was crap, replaced with the Ready-lift setup and new tires. I even installed the dual damper setup by Rancho. Im thinking this combination totally but eliminated that shaking **** I have experienced.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-18-2013, 01:38 PM

17" tires on a f550? HOW?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-18-2013, 01:54 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

uh huh

Quote:
Originally Posted by navistar45 View Post
17" tires on a f550? HOW?
yupper,
my thoughts as well when I bought it. I traded my 08 F550, which had 19.5's. The only difference I see between my 2011 F550 and the 2011 F450 is weight, VIN-(naturally) and the suspension pieces up front are different.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-19-2013, 01:22 PM

First i've heard about, either way, glad you got it fixed...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode