Service engine light - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by Joe/GA, this thread has received 2 replies and been viewed 4245 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-14-2013, 11:49 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Service engine light

Last Friday, I took my truck to the dealer with a service engine light. They said they needed it to sit in their bay overnight to be able to work on it while at ambient temperature. I left it with them Monday afternoon. On Tuesday, I was told that the DEF tank had a crack and that was what was causing the service engine light. On Wednesday, I was told that the tank had arrived, but that it was a 10 hour job and wouldnít be ready until Thursday. This afternoon, the service advisor said they almost have it out. Almost? They should already have it out and be re-installing the new one. I asked (over the phone) if it would be ready by the end of the day and she said they were doing their best. I didnít have a good feeling about our conversation, so I went there after work. I told her that I didnít have a ďwarm and fuzzyĒ feeling about what was happening. I told her I understood that there can be issues, but that I really needed my truck for the weekend and that next Thursday, I needed to be towing my RV to south west Florida on vacation. I left and went to Lowes for some things. The service advisor called and said they has found a broken nipple on the DEF pump and would have to order a new pump. Something did not sit right with me so I went back to the dealer. I asked if they broke the pump or was it broken when they removed it? She said it was broken when the tech removed it. I asked to see the tank and the pump. I expected to see an 8 gallon tank that holds the DEF, but this was a black cylindrical tank that maybe would hold 2 quarts. The pump was a bluish green color and had a plastic hose nipple broken on the front end. Iím no dummy and have done a lot of my own vehicle maintenance in the last 50 plus years. Iíve broken my share of hose nipples. However, Iím not accusing anyone here. I just doubt the story. So, now comes the worst part of this. No new pump until Monday afternoon. So my truck will sit nearly 4 more days before anything happens to it. Then, what will they break when putting it back together? Iím not real confident in their capability. Iím not into bashing dealers, but something is bothering me about this experience. Call it a gut feeling, if you will. Maybe all of this is perfectly innocent. Iíd like to know why they canít get a pump overnight? I can get anything overnighted to me. If that pump nipple was broken, would it have leaked DEF? My truck is kept in my garage every night and I keep the floors clean. If anything was leaking, I would have seen it and investigated. Nothing has leaked from that truck.
What do you guys think? Is this a competency issue? Do I have a reason to be worried?

2015 F-350 Lariat CC, LWB, DRW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-14-2013, 04:22 PM

Something isn't right for sure. Next step is to call Ford customer service and tell them this service dept. is jacking you around! In the meantime talk to the dealership man in charge, sometimes it helps. I went thru this a long time ago and after telling the dealership mgr. he jumped up out of his chair and raced into the service dept. after a thorough ***** chewing, I had my truck back in 2 days all fixed up and washed and detailed. Reps to him for not letting the service dept. treat customers like that. Good luck, but don't keep going along with this horse****, follow your gut, it never lies.

2013 F-250 6.7L "Scorpion" Turbo Diesel-400/800, CCSB FX-4, Lariat Ultimate, 3:55 ELD, Rancho 9000XL's, Bilstein Steering Stabilizer, OEM Rear Sway Bar.
Larry
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-17-2013, 01:10 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Garage
Hey Larry, I did have a discussion with the service manager and they did get me fixed and back on the road. However, I don't trust them and will never go back there. The code in my computer was: P2043 - Reductant Temperature Sensor Circuit Range/Performance. They replaced the tank with the sensor, but also had to replace the pump. There was nothing in the paperwork about replacing the pump. When I went to pick up the truck, I asked about the DEF Fluid. Was it replaced, added some? The service lady told me it was filled up and there was no charge. I didn't check until I had left, but the message center said less than half a tank! Another lie!

2015 F-350 Lariat CC, LWB, DRW

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode