Ford's new diesel truck engine to be built in Mexico, not Brook Park - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by Monsterplow, this thread has received 19 replies and been viewed 2644 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-31-2009, 11:46 PM Thread Starter
Cloud Booster 500HP

Ford's new diesel truck engine to be built in Mexico, not Brook Park

Monday August 31, 2009, 9:33 AM

Ford Motor Co.
Ford Motor Co. plans to start selling a new 6.7-liter diesel engine in its 2011 F-Series Super Duty pickups.
Updated at 5:27 p.m.

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Ford Motor Co.'s Brook Park engine complex will not build the company's new diesel truck engine, despite years of negotiations aimed at bringing the work here.

Instead, the company said Monday it would build the 6.7-liter diesel engine for model year 2011 F-Series Super Duty trucks in Chihuahua, Mexico.

Not getting the diesel leaves one less option for Cleveland Engine Plant No. 2, which could close if it doesn't get a new product by 2011.

Ford last year said it would invest $3 billion in several Mexican plants to get ready for the upcoming Ford Fiesta subcompact and other vehicles. That investment included money for the Chihuahua engine plant that now makes only four-cylinder gasoline engines.

Union and state officials had been involved in talks to bring the diesel engine to Brook Park. The 2007 contract between Ford and the United Auto Workers called for the automaker to consider Engine Plant No. 2 for the work. That facility now makes six-cylinder engines for the Ford Fusion sedan and the Ford Escape sport utility vehicle.

"We've had continued talks with Ford about new products for Plant No. 2 and more work for Plant No. 1," Mike Gammella, president of UAW Local 1250, said Monday. Engine Plant No. 1 makes the turbocharged 3.5-liter EcoBoost engine used in the new Taurus SHO.

Engine Plant No. 2 has about 400 people working a single shift making six-cylinder car engines. The plant lost its second shift more than a year ago, as most people buying the Fusion and Escape are opting for the four-cylinder version. The casting plant in Brook Park is scheduled to close next year.

Auto industry analysts have said they expect Ford to phase out the 3-liter engine being built at Engine Plant No. 2 by 2011. With the diesel engine now out of the picture, Ford would have to build something else in that plant to keep it open. Gammella has put his hopes on winning four-cylinder engines for small cars.

During contract talks with the union earlier this year, Ford committed to bringing more engine production to the United States. The company has said it will have to double its capacity for building four-cylinder engines.

Most of the new vehicles that Ford plans to introduce over the next five years are smaller cars that were designed in Asia and Europe. The company expects fuel prices to rise, encouraging buyers to select smaller vehicles. And new federal fuel-economy regulations are also encouraging it to build more four-cylinder engines.

Gammella has said repeatedly that new small engines in Brook Park would provide more job security than the diesels.

The 6.7-liter diesel engine will be the first the company has made in decades for domestic use. Trucking giant Navistar has made Ford's diesel engines since 1979.

That relationship crashed following the 2003 release of the 6-liter Powerstroke diesel. Customers reported huge numbers of problems with that engine, forcing Ford to buy back thousands of trucks. Ford blamed Navistar for the problems, and Navistar blamed Ford.

Navistar and Ford replaced the troubled 6-liter with a 6.4-liter engine in 2007. The changeover was necessary to meet new federal diesel emissions standards for 2007. Diesel standards tighten again in 2011, forcing the latest upgrade.

Ford did not release the horsepower and torque numbers on the new engine, key statistics for the commercial truck users who rely on the vehicles. The company said fuel economy and power would both be higher than the current diesel offering.

While Ford has outsourced its truck engine diesels for the past 30 years, it has developed its own car diesels in Europe for about as long.

'06 350 :13.5 Turbodieselwagon

If you can't run with the big dogs ,stay on the porch .
"Innovative Diesel Tuned"
The Following User Says Thank You to Monsterplow For this addition to TDG:
HARLEY6LF250SDU (09-01-2009)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 12:29 AM
I like Pretty Girls!

Cant blame them really..... Union wages are insane from what I have hear (but I dont really know). I would be curious to actually know that they make.

I know union mills start st $23 per hr + benifits to push a broom and I would assume it would be the same thing at a Vehicle plant.

2008 F-350 Lariat
6" Lift Riding on 37x13.5 Toyos

Canadian Club Member #12
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-02-2009, 10:53 PM

People wonder why jobs are leaving this country. I hate unions and always will.

2008 Red CCSB 6.4 Auto Lariat.
Stock 20's wrapped in 35x12.50R20 Toyo MT's, 3.73 gears, Nav, Backup Cam, Tailgate step, Upfitters, etc.
Mods: AFE Intake, Line-X, 20% Tint, Clear Bra, Husky Mats, Smoked Recon Mirror markers/3rd brake light, Bushwacker Pocket style flares w/ mud flaps + an aluminum Rapid Hitch (one of the best investments!)
Feel free to PM with any questions about any of my mods.

SRW Club #55
American Club #55

Last road trip-567 miles @ 20.7 mpg @ 67mpg average speed.
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-02-2009, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superdutytd View Post
At one point I hated unions just like you. I still contend that they have been the source of many of the problems that the country as a whole faces; that said, they do serve a vital role (albeit to a much lesser degree today and were absolutely needed prior to the legal and cultural shift that occurred following FDR's reign).
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-02-2009, 11:29 PM
I like Pretty Girls!

Quote:
If a union was run properly so it was fair to the employer, employee and the customer it would be fine but for the most part there is SO much wasted man power which = money it drives the price up (in most situations) and that jsut screws the customer....

2008 F-350 Lariat
6" Lift Riding on 37x13.5 Toyos

Canadian Club Member #12
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-03-2009, 02:07 AM

Quote:
I feel the same way..... They did nothing for me when I worked at UPS except take my money every week. They did nothing for my buddy who worked for Freightliner in NC when they moved their truck plant to Mexico and they did nothing for my other buddy when they shut down the Ford plant in Avon Lake, OH.

I'll admit at one point in time they did serve a purpose to protect the workers but that was a long time ago.

'08 F-350 Lariat - 6.4L Auto, Crew Cab, DRW, long bed, 4x2 and 4.10 gears.
'08 F-350 Lariat Racing - 13.63 @ 101.7 mph with a 2.24 60

Modifications include DOC/DPF delete pipe, S&B Intake and Spartan tuning.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-03-2009, 02:30 AM

Relax everybody. Cleveland plant will get the Ecoboost gassers to build and mexico takes over the diesel lines. I totally trust the Mexico plant to build a great product. Just look at the Fusions. Their reliability beats Honduh and toyota.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-03-2009, 03:02 AM

I'm more disappointed in Ford then anything. So many people in the US and Canada need jobs and this could help people and help are economies at the same time. When people have jobs they spend money in local stores, restaurants and services and the snowball affect is huge.

I'm sure most people would rather take a pay cut and keep working then be completely out of a job and have nothing. I know I wouldn't like taking a pay but I'd do it because less is still better then nothing at all.

'08 F-350 Lariat - 6.4L Auto, Crew Cab, DRW, long bed, 4x2 and 4.10 gears.
'08 F-350 Lariat Racing - 13.63 @ 101.7 mph with a 2.24 60

Modifications include DOC/DPF delete pipe, S&B Intake and Spartan tuning.
The Following User Says Thank You to Gerry For this addition to TDG:
Duke (09-11-2009)
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-03-2009, 03:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry View Post
I'm more disappointed in Ford then anything. So many people in the US and Canada need jobs and this could help people and help are economies at the same time. When people have jobs they spend money in local stores, restaurants and services and the snowball affect is huge.

I'm sure most people would rather take a pay cut and keep working then be completely out of a job and have nothing. I know I wouldn't like taking a pay but I'd do it because less is still better then nothing at all.
...and therein lies the problem with the union dominated industries over time -- a failure to realize this point.

UNSKILLLED LABOR SHOULD NOT COMMAND NEAR SIX FIGURE INCOMES.

Any attempt to continue to do so is the same as advocating (and hastening) outsourcing.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-03-2009, 03:32 AM Thread Starter
Cloud Booster 500HP
Threadstarter

typical union ....everyone gets the same rate , although most dont know their trade and get paid the same as another who knows what their doing and works "hard' every day . ...sort of like "affirmative action"

'06 350 :13.5 Turbodieselwagon

If you can't run with the big dogs ,stay on the porch .
"Innovative Diesel Tuned"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode