New Turbo liquid cooled? - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by Scorpion6.7L, this thread has received 15 replies and been viewed 5521 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-28-2009, 09:50 PM Thread Starter

New Turbo liquid cooled?

Is this a new feature or does anyone else use this setup? Do you still have to let the turbo cool after long pulls?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-30-2009, 07:17 PM
Dually Club #3

I would think the turbo cool down would still be a good idea. This design has been used in other applications before, just not in light duty applications. I have seen thi in marine applications and in the Navy.

Jason

06 F-350 4x4 CC LB Tow Boss Lariat 6.0l auto. Banks PowerPDA, Banks SpeedBrake, FICM Atlas 40 Tune, ARP Studs, PowerMax GT3788VA turbo, Homemade coolant filter, EGR valve delete spool, Monster Exhaust, K&N Cold air intake,Mishimoto Radiator,Husky mudflaps, Line-X bed liner, Recon lights, TUNED BY Innovative.
72 F-250 Gasser.FOR SALE
The Following User Says Thank You to jdydiesel For this addition to TDG:
Jeremiah (10-01-2009)
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 12:34 PM
Got Torque?

I am not familiar with how they run the liquid cooling for this turbo. Is it water-based coolant? If so, I would think cool-down is a must, otherwise you will possibly boil the water that is in the area of the turbo leading to puking. Imagine that...you park, walk away, and 5 minutes later, a delayed puke!

Black 2003 F350 Dually, Nothing Stock

Other Rides:

Black 2006 300C SRT8
Black 2012 CTS-V (630HP)
Black 2008 Mercedes E550
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 01:39 PM
Dually Club #3

That would suck!!!! I am thinking, and this is purely a thought, that the turbo has it's own oil system and that oil is what is cooled through a water-oil cooler. I am also thinking that the coolant it is using is the same as the EGR coolant system.

Jason

06 F-350 4x4 CC LB Tow Boss Lariat 6.0l auto. Banks PowerPDA, Banks SpeedBrake, FICM Atlas 40 Tune, ARP Studs, PowerMax GT3788VA turbo, Homemade coolant filter, EGR valve delete spool, Monster Exhaust, K&N Cold air intake,Mishimoto Radiator,Husky mudflaps, Line-X bed liner, Recon lights, TUNED BY Innovative.
72 F-250 Gasser.FOR SALE
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 01:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdydiesel View Post
That would suck!!!! I am thinking, and this is purely a thought, that the turbo has it's own oil system and that oil is what is cooled through a water-oil cooler. I am also thinking that the coolant it is using is the same as the EGR coolant system.

interesting thought... any experts on the subject? I'm interested in learning more about this system too... thanks jdydiesel
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 02:49 PM

This type of turbo is used in subaru's its called a IHI Turbo, its oil and water based cooled, so after aggressive driving you don't need to have a turbo timer to have extra cool down time.

Real Trucks Burn Diesel!
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 02:58 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeCloud View Post
This type of turbo is used in subaru's its called a IHI Turbo, its oil and water based cooled, so after aggressive driving you don't need to have a turbo timer to have extra cool down time.
are the subaru's seeing the same kind egt temps that a diesel makes?

2004 F350 CC DRW King Ranch
X-3 tunes by DJ,QT,GH,ID,Gyphon FICM tuner,head studs,II Stage 1turbo,ATS coolant recirc lines,Swamp's 48v ficm,coolant filter,Snow Perf stage II,EGR delete,AD2,4" turbo back straight pipe,K&N intake,Quad "A" pillar autometer gauges,Suncoast Tri Disk Conv.,Billet input shaft,Suncoast superduty rebuild kit,Trans-go shift kit,Mag-Hytec trans pan,CFM+ elbow,ccv mod,15K reese 5er,17" LCD TV/DVD,Cobra 29 Nitewatch CB
Thanks to:JASONS REPAIR AND PERFORMANCE-TELFORD,PA.

"Are diesel pickups hot rods? Yes,they are-perhaps the most versatile hot rods ever made"---Diesel Power Magazine
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilpooh View Post
are the subaru's seeing the same kind egt temps that a diesel makes?
Hell no, the temps boxer motors run is a dream to diesels. but then again, you gotta look at the tune as well.

Real Trucks Burn Diesel!
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-02-2009, 10:47 AM

I believe gassers run even hotter? I don't know if the diesel turbos are like Ford's Ecoboost gas turbo's, but here's a great clip from the Ecoboost introduction... extreme testing!!!!!

" "Reliable to the Extreme
Turbochargers operate at high speed – up to 170,000 rpm – and under intense temperatures of up to 950 degrees Celsius (1,740 degrees Fahrenheit). Some previous-generation turbos were reputed to suffer from oil coking, in which they would bake their lubricating oil. Because oil coking can lead to premature turbocharger bearing failures, Ford’s advanced engine engineers specified the use of new, water-cooled turbochargers to combat this problem.

“During normal turbo operation, the turbo receives most of its bearing cooling through oil,” said Keith Plagens, turbo system engineer. “After shut down, the problems with turbos in the past were you would get coking in the center bearing. Oil would collect in the bearings, the heat soaks in and the oil would start to coke on the side and foul the bearing. Water cooling – used in the EcoBoost engine – eliminates that worry.”

The new EcoBoost V-6 uses two Honeywell GT15 water-cooled turbos.

“The EcoBoost engine uses passive thermal siphoning for water cooling,” Plagens explains. “During normal engine operation, the engine’s water pump cycles coolant through the center bearing. After engine shutdown renders the water pump inactive, the coolant flow reverses. Coolant heats up and flows away from the turbocharger water jacket, pulling fresh, cool coolant in behind. This highly effective coolant process is completely silent to the driver, continuing to protect the turbocharger.”

Going for a Spin - Flat Out
To validate their water-cooled turbo design choice, Ford engineers put EcoBoost through a special turbocharger test.

The test ran EcoBoost at maximum boost flat out for a 10-minute period. Then the engine and all cooling were abruptly shut down and the turbo was left to “bake” after this high-speed operation. If that sounds severe, imagine repeating this cycle 1,500 times without an oil change. That’s what EcoBoost’s turbos endured.

After 1,500 cycles, the turbos were cut open for detailed technical examination. The turbos passed the severe test with flying colors."
The Following User Says Thank You to Hydro For this addition to TDG:
groceryman (10-05-2009)
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-02-2009, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydro View Post
I believe gassers run even hotter? I don't know if the diesel turbos are like Ford's Ecoboost gas turbo's, but here's a great clip from the Ecoboost introduction... extreme testing!!!!!
I don't know I have to look that up, but I am pretty sure diesel runs hotter, because I know they constantly run lean. as for a car it runs a little more richer then a diesel.

Real Trucks Burn Diesel!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode