FORD LIVE CHAT text - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by Rcannon, this thread has received 4 replies and been viewed 2268 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-23-2009, 10:36 PM Thread Starter
is here and there.

Thanked 1,110 Times in 665 Posts
FORD LIVE CHAT text

I copied this from the Ford live chat that was held today with Chris Brewer, Super Duty Chief engineer.

I have highlighted a few points I thought were interesting.

Quote:
2:31

Ford Motor Company:
Hello everyone and welcome to the live chat with Super Duty Chief Engineer Chris Brewer. This is Scott Monty and I'll be acting as your moderator / host.

We anticipate a lot of questions today, so bear with us. Any that we can't get to, we'll answer after the session is over on The Ford Story.
Friday October 23, 2009 2:31 Ford Motor Company
2:32

[Comment From GrayGray: ]
How long is this engine supposed to last without the need of any major repair?
Friday October 23, 2009 2:32 Gray
2:36

Chris Brewer:
We test our diesel engine to 250,000 miles for durability to ensure the major engine components will meet our most severe customers' expectations; in addition, we are providing 6 early manufacturing build units to 4 severe use lead customers which we chronicle in webisodes over the next several months.
Friday October 23, 2009 2:36 Chris Brewer
2:36

[Comment From Mike LevineMike Levine: ]
Hello Chris. Thanks for participating in this chat! Any word on official horsepower and torque figures for both the 6.2-liter V-8 gas and 6.7-liter V-8 diesel engines? :-)
Friday October 23, 2009 2:36 Mike Levine
2:38

Chris Brewer:
Hi, Mike, as you know we will be annoucing HP, torque and fuel economy closer to when vehicle goes on sale next spring--however, the numbers are all better vs. the 2010 MY Super Duty.
Friday October 23, 2009 2:38 Chris Brewer

[Comment From DonDon: ]
When will this truck go on sale?
Friday October 23, 2009 2:38 Don

Chris Brewer:
Spring 2010.
Friday October 23, 2009 2:38 Chris Brewer

[Comment From kevinkevin: ]
what do you think this truck will cost
Friday October 23, 2009 2:38 kevin
2:39

Chris Brewer:
Pricing will be competitive with Dodge and GM; however, pricing won't be finalized until early next year.
Friday October 23, 2009 2:39 Chris Brewer
2:40

[Comment From Neil CostelloNeil Costello: ]
What is the future of the Triton V10 with the upcoming 6.2L V8 gas engine, as well as the new 6.7L Powerstroke? This is considering the Ambulance Packages will now offer the V10 for 2010. Will the V10 be ended once the new 6.7L diesel is offered in E-Series?
Friday October 23, 2009 2:40 Neil Costello
2:41

Chris Brewer:
The Triton V10 lives on in Super Duty for our F450 and F550 chassis cab customers. The 6.2L gas engine will be available on all pickups and F350 chassis cab configurations.
Friday October 23, 2009 2:41 Chris Brewer
2:41

[Comment From joejoe: ]
i sell fords is ford going to make a big push for this release like they did for the 2010 taurus
Friday October 23, 2009 2:41 joe
2:42

Chris Brewer:
Absolutely! This is a very important vehicle launch for us because our customers count on our product to get their job done every day.
Friday October 23, 2009 2:42 Chris Brewer
2:43

[Comment From Adrian HarrisAdrian Harris: ]
Given the issues with earlier PSD designs (particularly the 6.0l) that caused buyers to move to competitive brands, what additional testing/design work has been put in place for the 6.7 engine that was not done previously?
Friday October 23, 2009 2:43 Adrian Harris
2:43

Ford Motor Company:
We see your questions coming in and we're getting to the ones that we can reasonably answer. There are some that we can't answer yet, because we haven't made certain announcements, but we'll do our best to give you as much info as we possibly can.
Friday October 23, 2009 2:43 Ford Motor Company
2:46

Chris Brewer:
We have tested the new engine extensively in a variety of ways--analytically in computer aided design and engineering, in component lab testing, as full engine system testing and finally in full vehicle testing--including temperature extremes and very high duty load requirements--using all the lessons learned from our prior diesel experience on Super Duty as well from Ford of Europe. We are extremely confident in how the product will perform in the real world.
Friday October 23, 2009 2:46 Chris Brewer
2:47

[Comment From John BrownJohn Brown: ]
Will we ever see a manual transmission in a Super Duty again?
Friday October 23, 2009 2:47 John Brown
2:47

[Comment From JwfJwf: ]
I'm not as worried about the new engines as much as I am the new automatic. If Ford can't design and warantee it to last 200,000 mi without major overhauls I would prefer a manual trans option. Why eliminate the choice of options for 2011?
Friday October 23, 2009 2:47 Jwf
2:50

Chris Brewer:
Never say never, John--however, only 1 to 2 % of our customers buy manuals today. We are offering a new 6 speed auto trans that will offer substantially better fuel economy than the 5 speed auto it replaces as well the manual 6 speed. The new 6 speed also offers Select Shift capability to allow you to hold a given gear similar conceptually to a manual trans.
Friday October 23, 2009 2:50 Chris Brewer

2:50

[Comment From DerrekDerrek: ]
I would consider myself as a loyal ford owner. Owning a business that buys 5-10 diesel super dutys per year I am really interested in the new 6.7, however with the cost of fuel getting higher and higher and the fuel economy on the 6.4s dismal, I am considering the switching to gas V-8s. So a couple of questions. What should a guy expected for fuel economy out of this new diesel? What are you guys offering for a gas engine that can tow effectively?
Friday October 23, 2009 2:50 Derrek
2:53

Chris Brewer:
Thanks for your business, Derrek! The new diesel engine will offer substantially better fuel economy than the prior 6.4L--we will announce the fuel economy closer to when the truck goes on sale. The new 6.2L is also more fuel efficient than the 5.4L it replaces while offering greater towing capability. We think we will be able to offer you a couple of great solutions for your business needs with the two new engines
Friday October 23, 2009 2:53 Chris Brewer
2:53

[Comment From Steve PriceSteve Price: ]
About how often will the DEF need to be refilled, and will the motor be disabled when the fluid runs out?
Friday October 23, 2009 2:53 Steve Price
2:54

Ford Motor Company:
FYI, between questions if you'd like to check out what we've got available for the Super Duty publicly so far - not to mention a healthy dose of infotainment, check out the 2011 Super Duty website at: http://www.fordvehicles.com/2011SuperDuty/
Friday October 23, 2009 2:54 Ford Motor Company
2:56

Chris Brewer:
The DEF will need to be replenished at same interval as an oil change--somewhere between 7500 and 10000 miles depending on your driving pattern. There are a series of warning messages that the vehicle will provide as you get closer to empty in the DEF tank over the last 1000 miles.
Friday October 23, 2009 2:56 Chris Brewer
2:56

[Comment From bobbob: ]
I think I saw somewhere that the new engine will have an exhaust brake. What type of brake will that be?
Friday October 23, 2009 2:56 bob
2:58

Chris Brewer:
Great question, Bob! We will offer an integrated exhaust brake with our tow-haul feature, providing a seamless trailer towing experience when you need it!
Friday October 23, 2009 2:58 Chris Brewer
2:58

[Comment From DutchDutch: ]
Hello; How confident are you regarding the 6R140 heavy-duty TorqShift six-speed automatic transmission? What were the testing protocols? Was this rushed due to the economic depression?
Friday October 23, 2009 2:58 Dutch
3:01

Chris Brewer:
Extremely confident, Dutch! The 6R140 TorqShift was purposefully designed for the new diesel engine, including significant upgrades for the increased torque and horsepower out of the new diesel--in fact, we also test the new transmission to 250,000 mile durability to ensure we have a very durable solution for our diesel customer. We are going to deep dive this topic in December at a media forum at our trans engineering center.
Friday October 23, 2009 3:01 Chris Brewer

3:02

[Comment From joejoe: ]
why doesn't ford just re release the 7.3liter
Friday October 23, 2009 3:02 joe
3:03

[Comment From Brian SandersBrian Sanders: ]
is there a possiblity in future that the industructable 7.3 liter will be brought back but with safe emissions same concept and design but different industry building it FORD insted of INTERNATIONAL.
Friday October 23, 2009 3:03 Brian Sanders
3:07

Chris Brewer:
With the 6.7L, Ford is designing, developing and manufacturing the Power Stroke engine for the first time. The engine has been specifically targetted to meet the 2010 emissions standards plus of course deliver outstanding HP, torque, fuel economy and most importantly reliability. The 7.3 was an outstanding motor but no longer appropriate for the regulatory environment we all need to live in couple with our customers' requests for more power and better fuel economy.

Friday October 23, 2009 3:07 Chris Brewer
3:07

[Comment From Adrian HarrisAdrian Harris: ]
Chris, what do you think the future of the full size truck market holds? With ever pressing environmental concerns (I think its a small feat of genius you have a diesel engine that passes emissions) coupled with a reduced level of income amongst blue collar workers and small business owners - do you foresee that the Superduty is still going to maintain the sales numbers it has had in the past?
Friday October 23, 2009 3:07 Adrian Harris
3:10

Chris Brewer:
Our truck is first and foremost a tool for our customers--our truck is used to help build the infrastructure of our country as well as customers in Mexico, Canada, South America, and rest of the world. We have a 60% share of the commercial truck business in the US and expect as the economy recovers our business will improve along with the full size truck market as a whole.
Friday October 23, 2009 3:10 Chris Brewer
3:10

[Comment From Kris NKris N: ]
I noticed the new Super Duty has quite a large and low hanging air dam for increasing fuel mileage. Does this compromise approach angles and off-road capability?
Friday October 23, 2009 3:10 Kris N
3:12

Ford Motor Company:
Hey thanks for the great questions, everyone - Chris is cranking away at them. As a reminder, any of the legitimate questions we can't answer within the hour of live chat we'll answer on The Ford Story next week.
Friday October 23, 2009 3:12 Ford Motor Company

Chris Brewer:
Kris, you sound like an engineer! The air dam has been lengthened for improved highway fuel economy but still meets our standards for approach angles; however, it is removable for severe offroad use should the customer need to do so.
Friday October 23, 2009 3:12 Chris Brewer

[Comment From Scott in MDScott in MD: ]
I submitted a idea to ford about the regen issues with the current 6.4 that I have. There is no driver option to control the regen process. Why not include a button to self clean? Or a warning that you need to clean in XX miles. Current system may want you to clean when you just stop at home.
Friday October 23, 2009 3:12 Scott in MD
3:13

Chris Brewer:
Thanks for the suggestion, Scott. We will take a look at offering a driver option for regen so long as it still meets the appropriate emissions requirements.
Friday October 23, 2009 3:13 Chris Brewer
3:14

[Comment From TojoskiTojoski: ]
Will the 6.7L Be built in the USA?
Friday October 23, 2009 3:14 Tojoski
3:15

Chris Brewer:
The vehicle is being built in Louisville, KY which is my home away from home right now. The 6.7L will come from Mexico. The transmission will be built in Sharonville, OH.
Friday October 23, 2009 3:15 Chris Brewer

3:16

[Comment From CKCK: ]
Will the 6.7L do away with the "in-cylinder dosing" method of fuel delivery for the DPF regeneration cycle?
Friday October 23, 2009 3:16 CK

Chris Brewer:
No--we still need to burn "rich" fuel during a regen cycle for the cleaning of the DPF.
Friday October 23, 2009 3:16 Chris Brewer

How many engines did you melt down, blow up or otherwise destroy while you were testing and tweeking the 6.7?
Friday October 23, 2009 3:16 kevin
3:18

Chris Brewer:
A lot! We have been working on the new engine for several years now and torture testing it until we are absolutely convinced it meets our 250,000 mile durability requirement.
Friday October 23, 2009 3:18 Chris Brewer
3:18

[Comment From Mitch MalechaMitch Malecha: ]
I have been encouraging Ford to offer a real center console shifter on the SD for years on blueovalnews.com forums. Why is this not included in the 2011 version?
Friday October 23, 2009 3:18 Mitch Malecha
3:20

Chris Brewer:
Good question, Mitch--our customers really want maximum function--the new console really serves as an office on wheels with 42 liters of storage, 6 cupholders, and standard 150W inverter for your laptop or other plugin devices. The floor mounted shifter would really take away from all of that.
Friday October 23, 2009 3:20 Chris Brewer
3:20

Yep, I recently finished up my engineering degree at Georgia Tech, have any openings for die-hard Ford truck guys? As a longtime Ford PowerStroke owner, I've always taken pride in the fact that our engines were originally designed for medium duty commercial trucks. Is the new 6.7L going to be an option in the medium duty F-650 etc.. ?
Friday October 23, 2009 3:20 Kris N
3:21

Ford Motor Company:
We're always looking for great talent, Kris! You can see what's going on and what other employees have to say about working at Ford on our Ford Motor Company Careers page on Facebook.
Friday October 23, 2009 3:21 Ford Motor Company
3:22

Chris Brewer:
Kris, thanks for being a die-hard Ford trucker! The new engine has been tested as a dyno engine for our 350/450/550 chassis cabs--rest assured, we are eager to use the new engine in as many places as possible.
Friday October 23, 2009 3:22 Chris Brewer
3:22

[Comment From Scott EnixScott Enix: ]
The youtube vid showing the full pull the other week. We saw some breif smoke or water out the tail pipe. Was this truck equiped with the DPF and DEF?
Friday October 23, 2009 3:22 Scott Enix
3:23

Chris Brewer:
Equipped with both DPF and DEF. Not sure where the water/smoke came from--from what I could see, it wasn't us.
Friday October 23, 2009 3:23 Chris Brewer
3:23

[Comment From Brian SandersBrian Sanders: ]
with the new injection system which everyone knows is supposed to be great, will it be able to provide enough fuel for say a compound turbo or even a bigger single without increasing the fuel pump
Friday October 23, 2009 3:23 Brian Sanders
3:26

Chris Brewer:
Hard to say, Brian; the new fuel system has been targetted specifically for our 6.7L engine and the new single sequential turbo--which gives us the best of both worlds in terms of minimal turbo lag with the initial spoolup and then maximum power as you step into the accelerator.
Friday October 23, 2009 3:26 Chris Brewer

3:26

[Comment From Steve PriceSteve Price: ]
Since the 6.7 is approved for the use of B20 as opposed to B5 with the 6.0 and 6.4, are the service intervals for fuel system components the same?
Friday October 23, 2009 3:26 Steve Price
3:28

Chris Brewer:
Yes and no; if you run B20 exclusively we recommend 5000 mile oil change intervals. We do have an oil quality algorithm that monitors the oil quality and helps guide the customer on the appropriate oil change interval--which with normal diesel can range between 7500 and 10,000 miles.
Friday October 23, 2009 3:28 Chris Brewer

[Comment From Lee RichardLee Richard: ]
will the front end be lower than back like all superduty and why?
Friday October 23, 2009 3:28 Lee Richard

Ford Motor Company:
We're nearing the end of our time here, and there are still lots of great questions to answer. We'll answer as many as we can in the remaining few minutes and we'll be sure we capture the rest and post a follow-up Q&A on The Ford Story next week.
Friday October 23, 2009 3:28 Ford Motor Company
3:29

Chris Brewer:
Yes--the rear end unloaded always rides higher than the front as you might expect. As the rear end is loaded up with payload or trailer tongue weight, the rear end will come down to the front end ride height.
Friday October 23, 2009 3:29 Chris Brewer
3:30

what have you been getting for fuel mpg
Friday October 23, 2009 3:30 kevin
3:30

[Comment From Daniel PlainDaniel Plain: ]
With the introduction of the new Power stroke diesel motor what kind of fuel economy could we expect.
Friday October 23, 2009 3:30 Daniel Plain
3:32

[Comment From GrayGray: ]
If that MPG question cannot be answered, then is there a percentage number that can be released? Although I assume the new 6 speed will help significantly with better MPG.
Friday October 23, 2009 3:32 Gray
3:33

Chris Brewer:
No question, that fuel economy has been top of mind for our customers and here inside Ford Motor Company. We are still testing to finalize where our numbers are going to come out but the data so far suggests this will be the most fuel efficient heavy duty diesel on the market today and better than what we expect to see from our competitors next year. Stay tuned!
Friday October 23, 2009 3:33 Chris Brewer
3:33

[Comment From Scott EnixScott Enix: ]
All I can say is I am ready to trade up from my 6.4!
Friday October 23, 2009 3:33 Scott Enix
3:34

Chris Brewer:
Thanks for your business, Scott! We will be happy to sell you a new 6.7L next spring and beyond!
Friday October 23, 2009 3:34 Chris Brewer
3:34

[Comment From Nolan S.Nolan S.: ]
Kinda Off topic but maybe some insight to how you think... What is your favorite year of the Superduty?
Friday October 23, 2009 3:34 Nolan S.
3:37

Ford Motor Company:
You guys have probably seen this already, but PickupTrucks.com recently asked "Who's Yer Daddy?"
Friday October 23, 2009 3:37 Ford Motor Company

Chris Brewer:
Tough question, Nolan! It is hard to pick which child is your favorite--we have been the market leader as long as the Super Duty has been in existence and of course overall full size pickup leader for the last 32 years. The new 2011 MY builds on our great heritage and continues the Built Ford Tough tradition!
Friday October 23, 2009 3:37 Chris Brewer

Thank you for your time in answering our questions, and listening to what we have to say.
Friday October 23, 2009 3:37 Kris N
3:39

Chris Brewer:
It's a pleasure to be able to converse directly with so many interested Super Duty customers--thanks so much for your inquiries into what's coming out next year and how we can continue to improve the product to meet your needs!
Friday October 23, 2009 3:39 Chris Brewer
3:39

Ford Motor Company:

Thank you everyone for being so interested in our 2011 Super Duty. We appreciate your support and pushing us to make Built Ford Tough a reality for you over and over.

There will be lots of great information we'll be able to share over the next few months and the truck will be in dealerships next spring. Please stay in touch with us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/FordTrucks, the Super Duty web site at http://www.fordvehicles.com/2011SuperDuty/ and on The Ford Story http://thefordstory.com

Life changes, so roll with it, not against it.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Rcannon For this addition to TDG:
700rmk (10-24-2009), CFRO (10-24-2009), fordt (10-24-2009), groceryman (10-23-2009), HARLEY6LF250SDU (10-27-2009), jdydiesel (10-28-2009), Jeremiah (10-24-2009), merlin5577 (10-24-2009), ripmf666 (10-26-2009), Rutcutter (10-25-2009), StewySD (10-23-2009)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-23-2009, 11:08 PM

Thumbs up

Thanks for the thread Rcannon. The new 6.7 sounds like it gonna be awesome. I'm gonna have to give ford another shot.

2005 Fx4 8" 4.0 Fabtech lift with 20" Weld rims on
35's traction bars, 430 gears, ATS Stage 2 Injectors, ATS Aurora 3000, Turbo Banks Monster exhaust and inner cooler, Zodad, H11 studs, EGR delete,
E Powered Tuner, ATS 5 Star TC.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-23-2009, 11:28 PM
********* and Mafia #90

Thanked 1,333 Times in 985 Posts
Garage
Send a message via AIM to Bcarriveau Send a message via Yahoo to Bcarriveau
upset i wasnt around to rep TDG with some questions.. ..

Bill Carriveau OFFICIAL POO HAULER

ARP studs, sct, Leveling kit,Airdog set at 62psi with no factory pump, leveling kit,5" stacks, under cab lights, Large in the way Fan shroud Removed, bed Lights being Re-did. Large Alternator(250amps)(130 amps was so 2003). On 3rd set of Hgs(soon to be 4th), 2nd set of heads, 2nd tubro, egr cooler, FICM and more. When i Turn the Key it does return a Favor, not always in MY Favor.
Da Rules..Here
http://i449.photobucket.com/albums/q...g?t=1249694332
Windows 7 Takes the WIN!
Windows 8 might take that Win
http://www.bcarriveau.com/
Dear Tequila:
We had a deal. You were supposed to make me sexier, smarter and a better dancer. But I saw the video. And I think we need to talk..

How you name your Thread is Important. Read Here

The TDG TOTQ

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-24-2009, 02:13 AM

great post, I just wish there were at least one or two "ballpark" figures for us to go off of.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-24-2009, 12:58 PM
Administrator

Thanked 1,064 Times in 566 Posts
Garage
I wanted to attend, but got busy at work!

-Wayne
2007 Chevy LBZ 6.6L Classic

Quote:
Age is a hell of a price to pay for maturity.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode