Questions about the rear main on my 318 - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by Lonesome7.3, this thread has received 4 replies and been viewed 772 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-07-2013, 01:22 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via Yahoo to Lonesome7.3
Questions about the rear main on my 318

I pulled the 727 in my 72 D200 to rebuild it. When I did I found the rear main has been leaking for a while. That is the only leak I can find on that truck. While the tranny is out I figured I may as well do the rear main. The hang up is I have never been inside a 318 and I do not know what is required to get it done. I am using a friendís lift at his shop so I cannot take a much of stuff off that is not necessary I have to get it done quickly. Have any of you done this repair? If so can I get some guidance before I dig into it? What all has to come off? What kind of seal is it? Is it a two piece? DO I have to pull the rotating assembly to get to the seal?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-07-2013, 01:53 PM
Aimless Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonesome7.3 View Post
I pulled the 727 in my 72 D200 to rebuild it. When I did I found the rear main has been leaking for a while. That is the only leak I can find on that truck. While the tranny is out I figured I may as well do the rear main. The hang up is I have never been inside a 318 and I do not know what is required to get it done. I am using a friendís lift at his shop so I cannot take a much of stuff off that is not necessary I have to get it done quickly. Have any of you done this repair? If so can I get some guidance before I dig into it? What all has to come off? What kind of seal is it? Is it a two piece? DO I have to pull the rotating assembly to get to the seal?
It could be either the two piece "rope" seal or the one piece neoprene. Easy job to do. Drop the pan, remove the rear main bearing cap, check the oil pump pickup tube for integrity and install the new parts. I doubt you will be able to get the old rope style seal any longer but the two piece neoprene just "rolls in" with a gentle push and will ride around in the seal bore.

I have a few bolts I've cut the heads off of to use as guide pins to align everything when reassembling. Typically the oil pan gasket will be folded up into a box, (not always) and these alignment studs really help hold it in place until the pan is pulled up snug.

I like to use a small bead of silicone on the oil pan side of the gasket as the stamped steel pan sealing edge can be distorted from tightening the retaining bolts. I never use silicone on the cylinder block with the exception of the ends of the multi piece gaskets to ensure they do not leak at their joints. A small dab of sealant on the ends of the edges of the rear main seal where they butt up against one another is not a bad idea either. A small dab here as it will spread when you tighten the rear main cap and you don't want this stuff getting into the oil and sucked up by the pump.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-07-2013, 01:58 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Sounds like you have doen this a time or two. Sounds simple enough, but how to I check the oil pump tube?
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-07-2013, 02:14 PM
Aimless Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonesome7.3 View Post
Sounds like you have doen this a time or two. Sounds simple enough, but how to I check the oil pump tube?
It will be a round, stamped piece of tin with a screen in it. Just ensure it is tight to the tube itself. If it can be rotated, replace it, or braze it up solid at it's joint.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-07-2013, 02:15 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Ah, I see what you are saying.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode