Broken flapper door in AC - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by LargeCar, this thread has received 9 replies and been viewed 2536 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-27-2010, 04:10 AM Thread Starter
Old Geezer-TDG Mafia #19

Broken flapper door in AC

Asking for a friend.

2006ish 3500 with a broken flapper door in the AC/heater box. Located directly above the blower motor and appears to be a recirculation/defroster flapper door. And the piece that broke off fell into the blower cage and now the blower works only on high, none of the lower speeds work.

Question 1 does the case need to be split to replace the door?

Question 2 what caused the flapper door motor to twist the drive end of the door off?

Question 3 assuming the door can be replaced without the case split, what is the part number for the upgraded door?

Question 4 does the blower motor need to be replaced to get the lower speeds back, heard that there is a circuit board in the motor that burns out.

Thanks in advance for any input

Largecar

LargeCar

Mafia # 19 The Dually Club # 19

If a country does not remember and honor its fallen heroes of the past, in the future that country will not be honored or remembered.

G.R. Wemmer

A veteran is someone who, at one point in his/her life wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'up to and including their life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.

Last edited by wastedwagesracing; 03-29-2010 at 12:27 PM. Reason: changed year
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-27-2010, 03:55 PM Thread Starter
Old Geezer-TDG Mafia #19
Threadstarter

I am amazed, 9 views and no replies. Guess I stumped the Dodge experts

More than likely there just has not been enough of this problem happen so the people that have experianced it are few.

LC

LargeCar

If a country does not remember and honor its fallen heroes of the past, in the future that country will not be honored or remembered.

G.R. Wemmer

A veteran is someone who, at one point in his/her life wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'up to and including their life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-27-2010, 11:26 PM Thread Starter
Old Geezer-TDG Mafia #19
Threadstarter

It is actually a 2006 year model, can't edit the first post.

LargeCar

G.R. Wemmer

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 05:31 PM

The loss of the speeds on the blower is probably the speed resistor, may be the switch. Did it blow the fuse? There is a thermal link on the resistor that opens when it draws to much current, it is not solder but a clean soldering gun will remelt it so it will go back to work. The switch on mine came apart so the corrosion could be cleaned out and relubed with nonconductive grease.

I have not worked on late model stuff but none of the air boxes that I have had apart could the flaps be done in the dash, broken ones usually had the vacuum motor improperly mounted so the hit at the end of stroke instead of running out of stroke before impact on the box lip. Some of the plastic ones can be repaired with tubing and rivets.

Check the blower wheel for broken vanes.

93 Dodge /CTD, IC, 518, club cab LE, BHAF, KDP fixed, kelderman air ride
81 Isuzu /C223na, 5spd
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 06:32 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to PhilipR
This is a very common issue on the third gen trucks. The TDR has numerous articles and even step by step fix instructions. I did a Google search and came up with tons of hits:

Take your pick....

There is a fix for the door on eBay as well...I think it's around $25

-Phil-
98 2500 4x4,12V,47RE Suncoast Billet input shaft, Suncoast H/D Extreme Trans kit, Goerend Triple disc converter, FASS 150/90, FASS Suction tube, Amsoil Ea air and pre-filter, 100 plate, 4K GSK, 370's, AFC Mods, CoolerTubz intake, straight piped 4" DP to 5" stacks, BD-SBS, Autometer Z-series Pyro/Boost/Trans/FP, Amsoil Bypass system and Amsoil fluids bumper to bumper.
The Following User Says Thank You to PhilipR For this addition to TDG:
wastedwagesracing (03-29-2010)
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 08:55 PM Thread Starter
Old Geezer-TDG Mafia #19
Threadstarter

Thanks guys, the blower wheel is in good condition, I suspect you may be right that the resisters may be blown as it was run with a part of the door laying in the blower wheel and then operated until that speed failed.

I checked TDR but did not find any real specific threads, maybe my search words were wrong.

I'll check the bay for the door fix deal.

Thanks.

LC

LargeCar

G.R. Wemmer

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-29-2010, 11:17 AM

Check out this post LC:

http://www.turbodieselregister.com/f...placement.html

Do a search for Blend Door or Recirculation, Recirc Door or Mode Door....they seems to be all listed under those names.

-Phil-
98 2500 4x4,12V,47RE Suncoast Billet input shaft, Suncoast H/D Extreme Trans kit, Goerend Triple disc converter, FASS 150/90, FASS Suction tube, Amsoil Ea air and pre-filter, 100 plate, 4K GSK, 370's, AFC Mods, CoolerTubz intake, straight piped 4" DP to 5" stacks, BD-SBS, Autometer Z-series Pyro/Boost/Trans/FP, Amsoil Bypass system and Amsoil fluids bumper to bumper.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-29-2010, 03:54 PM Thread Starter
Old Geezer-TDG Mafia #19
Threadstarter

Thanks Phil, that is way beyond what I need to do but gives me a really good look at what I will need to do for the repair I need to do. Great post and write up.

Thanks

LC

LargeCar

G.R. Wemmer

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 01:45 PM

LC,

I was flipping through an issue of the TDR mag and there is a write up about how this and I am sure I might have a step by step repair guide in there as well. I'll see what I can find and photocopy and scan them if you want.

-Phil-
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 08:55 PM Thread Starter
Old Geezer-TDG Mafia #19
Threadstarter

Thanks Phil, I think the owners are going to hire the job out. I am out of the Ranch they own early in the am tommorrow. Starting the three week trip home.

LC

LargeCar

G.R. Wemmer

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode