Mahle Pistons - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by BlowinSmoke, this thread has received 3 replies and been viewed 1681 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-28-2008, 01:18 PM Thread Starter

Mahle Pistons

Does anyone have experience with these pistons in a first gen? I read an article about someone putting Mahle slugs in a 93, but that was in a magazine and didnt give much on them.

90' 1 Ton Dodge Diesel 4x4 Stock 12v. 5-speed Getrag. Custom 6'' Alcan Springs. 35'' Toyos.

2002 Dodge 2500 Cummins Automatic Stock.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-23-2009, 12:31 AM

from past experience when i built race bmw engines for the paris to dakar rally in the early 80's mahle makes very, very good pistons...
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-23-2009, 03:17 PM

several months late but....

they're an excellent piston.... for racing. Not good for a daily driver as they're too soft and don't hold up to constant heat well.

Stock Cummins pistons are perfectly good for our motors and are some of the best build.
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-23-2009, 04:13 PM

I purchased a new block for my 02 (granted it's a 2nd gen, not a first gen) and everything was supposed to be stock. After 2,000 miles when I scored a piston, I found out that the pistons in it were .30 over mahle pistons. One was scored very, very badly and a 2nd one was working on it. I'm inclined to believe that they don't stand up to heat well. Of course, from as chewed up as the one was, it very well could have been a bad bore. All in all it cost me 10 grand to have cummins pull the engine, bore the block and put back .40 over pistons in it. I didn't have time to wait the 6 weeks for a recon engine.

2002 Dodge Ram 3500 Quad Cab 6sp manual, 4x4, Edge Juice w/Attitude stacked w/Smarty, MBRP 4" exhaust, BHAF, South bend DD, FASS 95/150, BHAF, .40 over pistons

2005 Dodge Ram 3500 Quad Cab, Auto, 4x4, tst powermax, Smarty, Full billet Goerend w shift enhancer, AD 150, K&N intake
2000 F350 Supercab, Auto, 4x4, stock

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode