Need help asap, 91 cummins. - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by 00turboPSD, this thread has received 19 replies and been viewed 6001 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-08-2006, 05:02 PM Thread Starter

Need help asap, 91 cummins.

My friend has a 91 cummins 12 valve, he said he was driving down the highway at about 65 and it just cut off on him. So far he has checked to see if there is fuel pressure and there is, and he says he has checked the air filter and its not dirty. I don't know a whole lot about 12 valves, so if anyone with some knowledge could please help us out that would be great. Thanks. He also said he changed the oil the night before if that makes any difference.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-08-2006, 05:12 PM

Check the two wires running to the fuel shutoff solenoid, sometimes the crimped ends get corroded or loose. If they lose connection the plunger will cutoff fuel to the injection pump. It is the solenoid just below the fuel power fuel adjustment screw. http://www.turbodieselregister.com/u...d=2498&width=0
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-08-2006, 05:27 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Well he says that he has loosened a few injectors and turned over the engine, and fuel still comes out. He also says he drained the fuel filter to see if there was water. He repurged the system and says it still wont fire, it will turn over but no fire. Ill tell him about the wires to see if thats the problem, but he says he has fuel so it doesn't make sense to me.
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-08-2006, 05:30 PM

What about the relays for that solenoid? Check them as well for power in and out....follow wires from solenoid back to relays......
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-08-2006, 05:33 PM

The fuel gallery should still have fuel, which is why he has fuel at the injectors. I had a '91 that would not start after I had turned the pump up, I bleed the injectors and everything else I could think of and there was fuel. It turned out that I didn't connect one of the fuel shutoff solenoid wires. I wish I would have noticed, it would have saved me about 2 hours.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-14-2006, 01:29 AM

certified smoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00turboPSD
My friend has a 91 cummins 12 valve, he said he was driving down the highway at about 65 and it just cut off on him. So far he has checked to see if there is fuel pressure and there is, and he says he has checked the air filter and its not dirty. I don't know a whole lot about 12 valves, so if anyone with some knowledge could please help us out that would be great. Thanks. He also said he changed the oil the night before if that makes any difference.
i have a 1992 dodge 12 valve that did the same thing all i had to do was replace the crankshaft sensor. It is located on the top side of the crankshaft balancer and plugs in on the top of the engine by the front valve cover. hope i was some help.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-14-2006, 01:39 AM

you may want to tell your friend to check the crankshaft sensor. i have a 1992 12 valve that did the same thing. the sensor is located on the top of the crankshaft balancer. it then plugs in on the top side of the engine by the front valve cover. hope i was a help to you and your friend. certified smoker
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-20-2006, 03:56 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Thanks alot, I bet the sensor is his problem, if its the same as the ford, it just dies out of nowhere, like mine did twice in one year, that sure does get expensive after a while. Any numbers on what a new sensor costs for the 12 valve? Thanks alot!
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-25-2006, 12:52 AM

St

I am actually the owner of this truck, I had my friend post before i was a member. Tonight i pulled apart the shut off solenoid and took out the spring and diaphram to see if it would work. I talked to a service guy at cummins today and that is what he told me to do. When i cranked it, it would almost start but wouldnt fire still. Gets closer than before but still nothing. Does anyone have anymore ideas? Oh, since my truck is a 91, i dont have a crankshaft position sensor like previously thought so, that wont work. Also, thanks for everyones help before.:shrug:
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-25-2006, 10:37 AM

had 91 also. check them 2 wires on fuel pump. right below turn up screw. clean and re-crimp. should light up

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode