Is this truck a good deal for a young man? - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by 1955 Chevy 6400, this thread has received 1 replies and been viewed 1701 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 10-09-2012, 10:55 PM Thread Starter

Is this truck a good deal for a young man?

I went to one of my favorite equipment yards a few days ago to look for a horse trailer and I ran across a dusty first gen with a winch bed on it. The guys house is right by the field full of farm equipment, trailers, and old trucks, and I noticed his personal rides were a first gen and a third gen. The truck I looked at was a silver single cab cummins dually with a cloth interior and a 2wd manual. The truck was looking kinda rough when I first laid eyes on it. It has its grill is held up by a thin metal band with one metal piercing screw in the fender and one in the grille. Its winch bed is without a fleck of paint on it, the front passenger side fender has a descent sized dent were it looks like it caught the edge of a fence post, the front bumper is a little dinged up, not to mention the truck also a bit of sag on its driver door when you open it. I am pretty sure the bushings in that door are shot. The trucks interior was dusty but would clean up with some elbow grease. Now for the great part. I looked to see the trucks odometer and it read a staggering 169,XXX miles. I think I could get around 600 for the bed on it if I gave it a good rattle can job. A REALLY clean grille for this thing at the local junkyard is $75. Will call the junkyard soon and get a price on fender for the front. The truck obviously needs alot of cosmetic stuff, but the owner said that it runs and drives and is selling it for 2500 bucks with a good title on it. The front bumper does not concern me, I plan to add pipe ones anyway. The Cummins is the engine I trust, but I have only worked on a 2nd gen 12 valve, so these are a bit new to me. The truck is free of rust doesn't appear to have uneven wear on the well worn tires. Is this truck a good deal? I am sure I forgot a thousand things and I will answer as many questions as I can.

The truck is constantly on my mind and I have an awesome vision for it. It was just someone's work tuck, so the only mod is a sawzall job under the cab on its exhaust. I am picturing a straight piped system all the way to the back and coming out behind the passenger side duals with an 6 incher tip. Big pipe bumper on the front, black flat bed with a couple of toolboxes built into the side that I saw in the same field full of equipment, dark as midnight tinted windows, pioneer stereo, 2nd or 3rd gen seats, possibly a redoing of the factory silver paint job, a cold air intake tube, a better intake horn, a better breathing filter, a little mild tuning to the pump, a descent sized set of all terrains, maybe a 2 inch body lift, maybe a 30-100 gallon aux. fuel tank, a nice junkyard grille, and probably a better set of mudflaps. What I like most about the aforementioned flatbed that is sitting on the ground out there is that it is already powdercoated black, the built in brake lights are $15 trailer lights, it has rails built onto the side for a tie down point, it has built in toolboxes, but most of all I like the recessed gooseneck ball. I would also like to leave his property with this truck pulling a horse trailer, so I might be able to make a bundle package and get a better deal. Sorry I don't got pics! But I might be able to get some this week or next.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 10-20-2012, 03:34 AM

It is getting harder to find body parts for the first gen trucks.

If you can buy it right it, fix it would make a unique ride.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode