turbo ?'s - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by alldiesels, this thread has received 13 replies and been viewed 1246 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-14-2006, 04:13 AM Thread Starter

turbo ?'s

Ok guys, on my dodge, were geting read to go all the way on the pump and advance the timing a good bit, do a 4200rpm gsk and my friend owes me some money so he is giving me his POD's, i was going to go with a hx35/40 set up but have been finding some hx40's on ebay, there advertised for 94-02's, what do you think it would do for me? would it mount up? any thought would be appreciated
robert
out
p.s. am i going to have to put new valve springs or studs in?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-14-2006, 04:28 PM

I wouldn't recommend running an HX40, if you need a turbo to support that hp range go with an S300 variation. If you do choose this route check this out https://www.thedieselgarage.com/forum...ead.php?t=2705 it may help with constructing a 4in downpipe. I believe that a hybrid H1C or HX35 will probably give you what you are looking for. Check into the 6 blade 60mm Schwitzer compressor wheel for an upgrade, J.R. Adkins has been using these for awhile, HTT sells them now as their stage IV upgrade. You will need to upgrade to atleast 60lb springs on the exhaust valves, but studs are shouldn't be needed. In my opinion, if you were up to it, I would install a newer style head gasket, 12mm studs, and replace all of the valve springs with the larger 60lb valve springs.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-14-2006, 05:54 PM

I'm Running An Hx40 On Mine And I Love It. Running A 16m Housing. It Takes Just A Second To Build But If You Were To Go With An 14m Housing That Would Solve The Problem. It's To Small For Me But For A Driver. It's Great And Cheap Way To Go. They Will Bolt Right Up As Long As You Get The Automovite Stile. But There's A Lot Of Good Turbos Out There A Fat Shaft 62 Is A Good One To. The S3 Works It's Just Personel Pref And What You Want To Spend.
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-15-2006, 02:15 AM
RSP
Rockin-S

I am running the HTT Stage IV and it spools right now and hits 50psi with the meth on

97 F350 PSD Crew Cab 4X4 Almost Stock :umno:
79 F250 CTD Super Cab 4X4 Almost Stock
79 F150 Reg Cab 4X4 Whimpy 512 CI BigBlock Some day it will be a CTD too
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-15-2006, 04:46 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Nice rocky, do you sell those? if so can you pm me with a price?
robert
out
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-15-2006, 08:29 PM

HX40s are a good turbo if your on a budget, but they do have a tendancy to mess their shafts up for some reason...if you could find a better shaft for one it would be sweet. They are just a little slower at spooling

Dom
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-16-2006, 12:20 AM

PS rob....send me your stock turbo once u get a bigger one...im turboing my kubota
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-16-2006, 10:10 PM

I just put a '95 factory turbo on my '92, but I'm not where you're wanting to go either. But you'd be suprised what they'll take if you'll watch your temps. The one on my '95 stayed together in the low 50s for several years (till I ran it low on oil, that'll do it every time:badidea: ), but it didn't get very hot either. While we're here, I have a couple questions; Are you still running the VE pump? And if so where are you getting the gov. springs? I can't get mine to turn up either. Well, I'm kinda gettin off topic so I'll shut up, but BTW I saw a 24V turbo on e-bay for like a hundred bucks, and it'll bolt up. You may have to take the exhaust loose from the bellhousing so it'll clamp to the charger (the housing is longer, at least on a 2nd gen. turbo), I did on mine, then pulled the exhaust back as far as I could and took a little crow bar to it, popped right in. But anyway, good luck.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-17-2006, 03:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Towe
I just put a '95 factory turbo on my '92, but I'm not where you're wanting to go either. But you'd be suprised what they'll take if you'll watch your temps. The one on my '95 stayed together in the low 50s for several years (till I ran it low on oil, that'll do it every time:badidea: ), but it didn't get very hot either. While we're here, I have a couple questions; Are you still running the VE pump? And if so where are you getting the gov. springs? I can't get mine to turn up either. Well, I'm kinda gettin off topic so I'll shut up, but BTW I saw a 24V turbo on e-bay for like a hundred bucks, and it'll bolt up. You may have to take the exhaust loose from the bellhousing so it'll clamp to the charger (the housing is longer, at least on a 2nd gen. turbo), I did on mine, then pulled the exhaust back as far as I could and took a little crow bar to it, popped right in. But anyway, good luck.
Give Harry a call at Piers www.piersdiesel.com and tell him you are looking for a 366 governor spring, it should be around $18. While you have the pump split don't forget to grind the AFC lever smooth. I'm wondering if you meant that your truck wouldn't idle with the fuel screw turned in? I have had one instance of this, I have heard that some of the VE44's won't idle after adjusting the fuel screw, but the only thing I could account for was that I didn't adjust the timing.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-17-2006, 05:17 PM

No what I mean is that it won't turn in! I was told to take it all the way out and there would be a "puzzle" on the screw and I'd have to take it off and then it would turn up. We did but there was nothing there but an o-ring. Am I fooling with the wrong screw or what? I'm lost when it comes to a VE pump as this is my first endeavor with one. The springs you mentioned, are they 4000 rpm or what? What is the factory governed rpm? Also, when I split the pump, where and how much do I grind on the AFC? Forgive me for the flood of questions, but as I said I've no idea what to do to these. Anyway, thanks for the help.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode