1989 Dodge D250 5.9L 6 cyl diesel turbo charged - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by llewis, this thread has received 3 replies and been viewed 3958 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-28-2013, 12:57 PM Thread Starter

1989 Dodge D250 5.9L 6 cyl diesel turbo charged

I'm having electrical problems with my truck, "frying" batteries is the best way to put it. I've decided to install another voltage regulator as suggested by Bouncer in his post. Has anyone tried it on their older Dodge and did it work? If I install one, it shouldn't interfere with any other functions on the truck, should it? I've gone through 3 alternators and 3 voltage regulators in the last 4 months thinking one or the other was defective, and I'm on my 4th battery. This is getting expensive and a bit frustrating to say the least. Thanks in advance for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-29-2013, 02:21 AM

Please let us know if this works, it should but who knows until it is fixed.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-02-2013, 07:09 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Well, it didn't work. I installed it and overnight the battery was dead as a door nail the next morning. I took it to my local mechanic and he had to wire it to the ignition wiring. In just a matter of a week or so, it was overcharging like before. I guess by going into the ignition wiring, it was still running through the PCM. Hooked up like on the diagram, I was drawing -2amps, (minus 2 amps), so it didn't take long to kill the battery. Now, I'm stumped again. Does anyone have any other remedies?
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-15-2013, 03:12 AM

Garage
Assuming the 89 has the same goofy ECM [engine control module ] under the left front fender that my '93 does, the voltage regulator is controlled by the ECM, as well as the grid heater in the air inlet and the fuel filter for cold weather starting aids . I also just learned that the air conditioning is grounded through the ECM as well .In my case , the voltage regulator function quit in February as I was headed to Florida for the Flywheelers show . Bought a replacement Nippendenso alternator from Auto Zone, and changed it in their parking lot.........but that didn't fix the problem. Back home, a Cleveland area rebuilder put an external regulator on the alternator and explained that the Nipendenso system has 2 field relay terminals ,[one is a ground circuit and other is variably positive] . Charging now has worked great but AC wasn't working . My young friend in NY found an open in ground circuit so spliced one in for me . Stopped at Dodge parts depot Tuesday and found ECM was $272.00 plus $125.00 core charge. My fix was $125.00 for an alternator that I didn't need plus $43.00 for the external regulator installed. My friend traced the AC circuits and fixed it for nothing!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode