AT shifts late after rebuild-mileage sux - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by Flyingpig, this thread has received 4 replies and been viewed 1463 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-25-2014, 12:14 AM Thread Starter

AT shifts late after rebuild-mileage sux

I had the auto trans rebuilt in my 91 3/4 T 4x4. I had a shift kit installed to assure good solid shifts. This worked out well in my old Blazer. Ive adjusted the cable with absolutely NO results. I got it to shift later but not any sooner. The cable is adjusted to where I cant get it to shift out of 1st any sooner than 23mph. Since the rebuild my mileage has gone from high teens and low twenties down to single digits. 11 mpg is about as good as it gets.

This truck used to be really good on fuel. Pulling a flat trailer hauling a Camaro I got 21 and pulling a 26ft enclosed 18.

Looking for any and all input.

Who do you call when the lawmakers ignore the law?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-25-2014, 12:49 AM
Aimless Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingpig View Post
I had the auto trans rebuilt in my 91 3/4 T 4x4. I had a shift kit installed to assure good solid shifts. This worked out well in my old Blazer. Ive adjusted the cable with absolutely NO results. I got it to shift later but not any sooner. The cable is adjusted to where I cant get it to shift out of 1st any sooner than 23mph. Since the rebuild my mileage has gone from high teens and low twenties down to single digits. 11 mpg is about as good as it gets.

This truck used to be really good on fuel. Pulling a flat trailer hauling a Camaro I got 21 and pulling a 26ft enclosed 18.

Looking for any and all input.
The cable is used only for kickdown adjustment. Sounds like either the valve body has internal leakage, the governor is binding, or the "shift kit" blanking plate or gasket is defective. Not knowing anything about the rebuild or quality of parts used, there is a multitude of things suspect; ie check balls, poppet springs, internal linkages, etc. I'd pull the pan, remove the valve body and take it to the original rebuilder or competent entity on those transmissions and have it evaluated. Most transmissions of that era really needed the fluid passages cleaned up and simply renewing parts wasn't a complete rebuild. If there are plungers leaking in their valve body bores, delayed shift is a common problem until the governor forces the issue. This is what the sounds of your experience are.

The question I seek an answer for is simply; why, or why not?
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-20-2014, 09:55 PM

Quote:
The cable is used only for kickdown adjustment.

No quite true. The cable controls the throttle valve. The correct name for the kickdown cable is TV cable. TV means throttle valve. That is what controls transmission line pressures/ shift points and so on.

Did the installer set the trans for a tow/haul type of shift kit or a drag race setup. A drag race setup normaly the line pressures are up above stock settings. Increased line pressures will raise shift points.

Myself I would take it back and tell them to correct the problem they created.

93 W350 w/duals, fuel pin turned, 6X.018" injectors, 4" exhaust, 3" air intake horn, HX40/16, G56 /SBC Con-OFE, 307's axles' 2" skyjacker lift, B&W flatbed
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-22-2014, 03:28 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Didnt know there was a difference in shift kits for towing.

Ive got trouble in another truck with a TH400. The shifter has never(since being in the family) lined up correctly. If it isnt pulled just a half a detent extra it slips out of gear. I bought a cable shifter for it but if that dont work, I just bought a granny low 4 speed.

I am SO sick of automatics. At some point everything will get a stick.

au to mat ic adjective
1) of a machine or device : having controls that allow something to work or happen without being directly controlled by a person

2) something that breaks or goes out of adjustment all by itself

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-22-2014, 03:48 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Didnt know there was a difference in shift kits for towing.

Ive got trouble in another truck with a TH400. The shifter has never(since being in the family) lined up correctly. If it isnt pulled just a half a detent extra it slips out of gear. I bought a cable shifter for it but if that dont work, I just bought a granny low 4 speed.

I am SO sick of automatics. At some point everything will get a stick.

au to mat ic adjective
1) of a machine or device : having controls that allow something to work or happen without being directly controlled by a person

2) something that breaks or goes out of adjustment all by itself

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode