The Diesel Garage banner

Engine Swap

2K views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  Philip 
#1 ·
I Have A Feand That Bought A 1991 5.9 Cummins He Wants To Put It In To A 1965 Dodge Power Wagon He Has A 4 Spd Now Ken He Use This Trany The Motor Had A Auto On It What Do He Have To Do Thanks

#2 ·
He has to find a clutch package and a matching bell houseing.

Alittle time with a tape measure to see if the trans can stay where it is with the new engine.

It will be SLOW with out an overdrive. If he finds one measure agin for engine location.

Split the wire loom and lay back the senders for the dash gages.

keydl

#3 ·
That most likely is a sm420 trans. It might not hold up long behind a 6BT.

The front axle is most likely a Dana 44. It won't hold behind a 6BT.

The rear is most likely a Dana 60. It will hold if its in good shape.

That truck has a divorced transfer case. I would just find a CTD trans with a married case and use it. It would make the swap easyer and give you a drive train that will last.

The 89 to 93 CTD trucks used the 205 married transfer cases with the right hand drop that PW needs.

If you need spring mount pad widths for the 89 to 93 year models let me know. I can throw a tape across mine to let you know on swap material.

#4 ·
Both Rearends Been Chainged He Has A Big Block In It Now Hard To Drive With The Fuel Price He Use It On The Farm Most Does The Cummins Take A Diffrent Flywheel The Small Block Belhousins Fit Right Or Do We Got To Change The Back Of The Motor Cause It Had Auto

So What Flywheel And Adaptor Do I Need Thanks

#6 ·
People go back and forth with auto and 5 spd
The 4 speed will run 45-50 and as Phillip says break.

The adapter from the auto should bolt to the bell housing, the length not known for the 4 spd but it has a good chance with the 1st gen adapter.

keydl

#7 ·
I don't know of any adapters made for a cummins to fit a standard Dodge bell housing. The getrag has a different bolt pattern than a sm420 does. So the getrag bell won't fit a sm420 most likely. It might be possible to redrill the 420 bolt pattern into a Grag bell housing if the input bearing retainers are the same size.

The other way would be to find a cummins to chevy adapter and use a chevy sm420. But this would mount the trans at an angle. The 4bt's used in bread vans had the engine slanted. The adapters and matching flywheels bring $500. plus on ebay.

If the auto he has is good it would be the easyest to use.

#9 ·
The adapter for the 94 will bolt right up to any 5.9 cummins. They all have the same block bolt pattern no matter the year.

That NV4500 woud make a good swap in. But it has problems with the 5th gear nut. There are work arounds for that. Everything from a new mainshaft to something as simple as just welding the nut down so it can't back off under a load. Do some research and decide which option would work better into the check book.

#11 ·
$750 is a good price for everything, jump all over it. If you guys decide against the swap you won't loose money at that price.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.