84 chevy 4 speed problems behind4BT3.9 - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by wbski, this thread has received 9 replies and been viewed 861 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-20-2008, 02:15 AM Thread Starter

84 chevy 4 speed problems behind4BT3.9

Hi Fellas, need somemore help, my clutch is acting up,sometimes when I'm starting off,I push in clutch and try to put it in gear but no go,it just grinds like I didn't have clutch in,if I shut engine off and then put it in gear it starts up ok but jumps and then clutch releaces,then it will be ok for awhile but not for long,sometimes while holding clutch in at a stand still,it will start makeing grinding noise then it starts to go in and out of gear while clutch is still depressed,and other times it acts perfectly normal,but is getting worse as time goes on,any ideas,anyone???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-20-2008, 11:08 AM
T.D.G. Mafia Member #88

I think it sounds like a pressure plate coming apart. Or the slave or master cylinders aren't disengaging the clutch and the grinding you hear is clutch slippage.

06 Mega Cab 3500 CTD 4X4 Auto SRW
http://www.hoosiertruckclub.com/phpBB3/index.php
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-20-2008, 11:52 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

thanks

Thanks Cumminspride,Thats what it sounds like to me to ,pressure plate comming apart,just wanted to here it from someone else,going to pull trans today,will let you know what I find,wbski
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-20-2008, 09:41 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Guess what Comminspride it was the pilot bearing,the thin tin shield that keeps dirt out of the bearings some how came off then tore up and the pieces were floating around in the clutch,of course they made there way into places they shouldn't be and wouldn't let the clutch release,only me rite? Put bushing in this time,thanks again,wbski
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-21-2008, 03:09 AM
T.D.G. Mafia Member #88

Glad you got it fixed.

06 Mega Cab 3500 CTD 4X4 Auto SRW
http://www.hoosiertruckclub.com/phpBB3/index.php
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-21-2008, 06:31 AM

O ne of the things to check with a clutch malfunction is if the bearing retainer bore on the bell housing is concentric with the crankshaft. A dial indicator with a magnetic mount on the flywheel set to indicate the bore and read it at 4 positions to guess at the worst and then read the worst. Should be .003 or less.

Out of tolerance will cause the main drive bearing or the pilot bearing to break.

keydl

93 Dodge /CTD, IC, 518, club cab LE, BHAF, KDP fixed, kelderman air ride
81 Isuzu /C223na, 5spd
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-21-2008, 12:20 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

next time

Thanks Kydel,have to hope now that its ok,already got it back together,but now that you mention it as I started taking it apart I noticed the bell housing bolts were loose,that is probably what caused the problem in the first place,thanks guys,wbski
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-22-2008, 01:24 AM

Check the bell housing bolts 2-3 times if you did not wash it clean.
Dirt there will break and fall out - then the bolts get loose.

That could have caused the problem. I did a 3500 Chevy last year that had a 1/4 in gap with a couple of missing bolts - wiped out the clutch, pilot bearing and throwout bearing. the main drive bearing was damaged also. Moderate frett wear on the dowel pin holes. Fellow bought it at auction and I have no idea how he shifted it coming out of the auction but 90 miles later the clutch did not work. The wear looked like a lot longer.

Transmission in the truck a test for main drive bearing is to put it in direct at about 100 rpm over idle and add a little throttle it will growl as it picks up rpm and quit growling around 15-1800 rpm. If it growls put it on the list for this year and change the trans oil. Many can be changed by pulling the bearing retainer and pulling the bearing off the main drive shaft.

keydl

81 Isuzu /C223na, 5spd
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-22-2008, 02:52 AM
TDG Mafia # 81

The Kevlar bushing that you installed is only good for 200K regardless of what the clutch/transmission shops say. Tearing it apart and replacing it is worth not wearing a input shaft!

Tony

2001 GMC 2500HD EC/LB, 4X4. A few go fast goodies. 540hp/1107tq Danville Dyno 11/09, Kennedy 40% injectors.

05 IH 9400i with Cummins ISX pulling a lumber bunk trailer, stuck in a swamp somewhere in Indiana.

Proud Veteran Served 6yrs Active Army From Germany, Kuwait and Bosnia to Ft. Hood and Ft. Knox
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-23-2008, 04:27 AM

hoursehauling
It is good for a couple of hundred hours of holding the clutch, if you float the gears it can run a million

wbski
if it is wrong the problem will come back - maybe 40k. Catch it at the first stroke and the broken part is the pilot bearing, a couple of k miles later and the parts bill is a lot higher. Loose bell housing bolts are another sign that things are not concentric, catch 1 loose the second time and fix it right or the parts bill is a lot higher and the down time is random. Murphy's law it will be the most expensive time possible

When you do dry land wheat you are betting the years income or 10 days of harvest.

keydl

81 Isuzu /C223na, 5spd

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode