The Diesel Garage banner

P7100 pump on a VE cummins

24K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  jd_craft 
#1 ·
i was reading my diesel world magazine when i came across an article on swapping for a P7100 injection pump rated for up to 500 horse. does anyone know about this swap? how hard is it and how much does it roughly cost? would this be a good investment or no? any info is much appreciated. thanks again. cheers,

nick

#2 ·
i have heard about it alot the pump aint gonna be cheap i will tell u that then ur are gonna need the lines inectors plus the gear for the pump ull have to take the whole front cover off and time the pump to the motor the pump they are talkin about should be about 400cc pump this stuff aint meant for ultra low sulfer diesel either need to upgrade the turbo too and is ur truck intercooled it is a great investment especially if u want performance

#3 ·
The VE timing cover is different from a P-pump cover add that to the list.

Unless you can find the parts real cheap. Most of the time the cost of parts will be higher than buying a complete P-pump engine.

#6 ·
what is sayin to is build up the ve pump its an ok idea probably cheaper and it would work if u only want to go to about 500hp but if u want to go beyond that i would do the coversion i not for sure but i believe u can use the kit for the 24v conversion to a p-pump all but the lines

#8 ·
I'm planning to do the swap but haven't taken time yet. I got a complete P-Pump'd truck that had a locked up motor so I have everything. That'd be the best way I think.

#10 ·
You would be better off buying the 14mm pump head. You might as well buy another engine instead of swapping your ve pump over to a p-pump. You will have to replace your pistons, your head due to the ve pump injectors being different at the threads and the head casting holes are different as well. You will have to replace the front cover, front gear housing, the injectors, lines, intake plate, upper intake, the parts list will add up real quick.

#11 ·
DieselWrencher1 said:
You will have to replace your pistons, your head due to the ve pump injectors being different at the threads and the head casting holes are different as well. You will have to replace the front cover, front gear housing, the injectors, lines, intake plate, upper intake, the parts list will add up real quick.
The non IC trucks did have a 9mm injector bore but the threads are the same and the piston bowl is the same. The IC trucks have 7mm injector bores like the 2nd gens. So Timing case, pump gear, pump, injector lines, injectors is the list. But I do agree that it's cheaper to make a stupid VE than the swap unless you need more that 600HP or 480HP on a single charger.

#12 ·
i agree there a powerful VE truck is unique on top of being cheaper than doing a conversion the head rotor was only like 250 bucks at the place i posted the link to a good pump shop can build a VE to a really good street performing pump and possible a street class puller

#14 ·
The reliability isn't the greatest on the 14mm VE pumps. I've had PDR build a few 14mm VE's and they held up much better than some of the other options I tried. I've also converted VE pump to 7100 pumps as well. It's not hard, just requires a few parts. I have everything you need but the pump if you are interested.

You'll need a pump, pump gear, fuel lines, oil lines, new gear housing and the brackets/linkages.

With a pump swap you can build as much power as you want, you are not limited to 500HP. A stock VE pump will reliably make around 425hp. Depending on what version of the VE you have you may get a little more or a little less.

You can run as much fuel as you want in that engine. You'll want a set of gauges to monitor things and make sure you don't get it too hot. The stock H1 turbo won't like 400 tho.

#15 ·
i would say get a turbo then the 14mm h&r just to make sure u have enough air gettin into the motor with the extra fuel to keep the smoke and egts down and should be just fine my friends had his turned way up and it was just fine no problems out of it that i have heard of plus the h&r is tuned with the adjustments on the pump so it is possible if u want to do the pump first i agree with 1040 wrecker man u need gaugaes mainly an egt gauage

#16 ·
cumminspride said:
The non IC trucks did have a 9mm injector bore but the threads are the same and the piston bowl is the same. The IC trucks have 7mm injector bores like the 2nd gens. So Timing case, pump gear, pump, injector lines, injectors is the list. But I do agree that it's cheaper to make a stupid VE than the swap unless you need more that 600HP or 480HP on a single charger.
I know the injector lines are different on the two first gens I helped my friends convert. And I know the pistons are different. They might "Look" the same, but measure the ring placement, measure the bowl. I know for a fact there are atleast 3 different styles of first gen pistons. The non IC pistons are different than the IC pistons. And another type uses a different style of bowl in the top of the piston.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.