Problems with crankcase venting - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by BigRed Cummins, this thread has received 5 replies and been viewed 2699 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 08:03 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Problems with crankcase venting

Ok, Ive got a bunch of mods to my truck, and I am running around 48lbs of boost. I've no doubt got alot more demand on the stock crankcase vent than it was designed to handle. What are my options for a better vent system? Alot of the high dollar go fast drag cars run a vacuum pump on the crankcase to vent all of the blowby as well as dramatically decreasing windage from the rotating assembly and freeing up some ponies. I could no doubt find a way to make the stock vacuum pump do double duty, but it takes much more than that in order to seal the motor and make sure it doesn't suck the gaskets into the motor. What are my options?

1992 W250-P-pump and some extra air, gone, but not forgotten.

2003 SVT Cobra

1984 Chevy K10

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-29-2009, 02:21 AM

Here is an option: http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/d...d.php?t=199914

91 W250, rusty POS, no afc, PODS, AM FP gauge, Isspro boost + pyro, 91.5 W350
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-02-2009, 01:38 AM

saw your problem and just had to reply to it "" might sound a little far fetched but i dont see why it wouldnt work ,, ive been running a circle track car for years and i use a panovac system on it ,, very inexpensive and works extremely well ,, youd have to chop a couple extra holes in your valve cover to install the grommets and weld the fittings in the exauhst down pipe but evacuating the excess crankcase pressure is what your trying to acomplish isnt it with all the other mods youve done on your truck this one is simplicity ,, speedway motors catalog,, good luck"..
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-02-2009, 03:48 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Garage
I thought that those systems relied on the vacuum generated by the exhaust exiting the headers to pull the crankcase gases out. I dont know if I have low enough back pressure to run that. Is your circle track car open header, or does it have an exhaust with race mufflers?

1992 W250-P-pump and some extra air, gone, but not forgotten.

2003 SVT Cobra

1984 Chevy K10

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 03:53 AM

yes it has headers with a muffler if you would want to call it that ,, the system really relys on the exauhst passing by the tubes welded in the collectors they act like a venturie and the parts that are in the grommets on the valve covers are no more than just a plain ole pcv valve so the more exauhst that is passing the tubes in the collector the more it sucks so ta speak,, the tubes that are welded in do however need to be installed correctlyand if i remember right they go in at a 45 degree angle you can use a two doller angle finder for that..
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-11-2009, 02:44 PM
2nd Gen Guru

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Mopar1973Man
I've seen something like this on the 2nd gen truck for a crankcase vent. Using a exhaust one-way valve and positioning it back by the down pipe they managed to create a slight vacuum to suck the oil vapor out of the crankcase... But on the 2nd gens there is a problem with oil spillage through the stock vent..

Michael Nelson - 2002 Dodge Cummins & 1996 Dodge Ram 5.9L Gasser
116K Miles On My VP44 - 4 Years of 2 Cycle Oil Diet! - Mixed at 128:1 Ratio - 25.3 MPG maxed out!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode