5.9 Vacume Pump - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by Ole JIM, this thread has received 15 replies and been viewed 4192 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-13-2009, 02:47 AM Thread Starter

Question 5.9 Vacume Pump

Question?--any One? ever change over from a Vacume Pump to the Hydralic assist brake system--what parts? are needed? & availibility? & Cost?--ball park TIME involved?--Thanks-Ole JIM--
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-13-2009, 05:42 AM

I have seen a couple of articals and a rebuild site for hydroboost.

Both used late 90's GM hydroboost and made the changes to the pushrod pivot bolt and the firewall spacing so that spares are bolt on. Use the matching MC. The Tee in the return line is straight from the booster and bent from the steering box or a 2 inlet resivore. Filter or cooler on the steering box line, restriction on the hydroboost return line may cause dragging brakes.

Brake application will lower the power steering assist.

I picked up a set from a '97 Chev 3/4 ton that had all the upgrades but have not installed yet.

Rockauto has an online catalog for prices, if used is not your style. Mine was $23.40 from a u-pull.

I think that flat rate is about .4 R&R for a set, if the pivot bolt and spacer are done and you don't have to hunt tools - a couple of hours.

Make a couple of shirtboard patterns face of the hydroboost and face of vacuum booster, match the centers and figure the mounting so that it will not be a problem to R&R. I think that I will pull the brake arm and clean and grease the bushing and tap the pivot pin hole for a shoulder bolt with a jamb nut.

I don't know why they picked a GM style, unless it was price - Last GM rebuilt hydroboost was $124 on the counter and the last Dodge was $429 and took 3 weeks to show up.

The hydroboost custom builder is more money and advertises for hotrod builders but the web site was better than the FSM for troubleshooting.

Thirty years ago rebuild parts were everywhere for hydroboost, now you have to have the seal # to get the seal that dumps PS fluid down the firewall. Don't take the accumulater off.

With the vacuum booster gone a little electric vacuum pump should do the job for the HVAC.

keydl

93 Dodge /CTD, IC, 518, club cab LE, BHAF, KDP fixed, kelderman air ride
81 Isuzu /C223na, 5spd

Last edited by keydl; 04-13-2009 at 05:45 AM.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-14-2009, 04:12 PM

The hydro boost from the Dodge trucks will work also. On a 1st gen the biggest issue is length. If you use the stock Dodge bracket from a 2nd gen. The intake air horn is in the way of the master cylinder. Some people just make a new bracket and cut the rod to a shorter length under the dash.

If you want to use the stock Dodge bracket. Then a set of cooltubz's might clear the hydro boost M/C. If you would order a set of cooltubz's then tell him you are going to Hydro boost he would know what to do. A stock 2nd gen air intake horn will be real close to clearing the hydro boost setup also.

The Dodge hydro boost setup is 18.5" long from the firewall to the end of the M/C.

Just use the power steering pump setup from a 4BT engine. They didn't use the vac pump.

93 W350 w/duals, fuel pin turned, 6X.018" injectors, 4" exhaust, 3" air intake horn, HX40/16, G56 /SBC Con-OFE, 307's axles' 2" skyjacker lift, B&W flatbed
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-15-2009, 05:14 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Vacume to power steering set up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip View Post
The hydro boost from the Dodge trucks will work also. On a 1st gen the biggest issue is length. If you use the stock Dodge bracket from a 2nd gen. The intake air horn is in the way of the master cylinder. Some people just make a new bracket and cut the rod to a shorter length under the dash.

If you want to use the stock Dodge bracket. Then a set of cooltubz's might clear the hydro boost M/C. If you would order a set of cooltubz's then tell him you are going to Hydro boost he would know what to do. A stock 2nd gen air intake horn will be real close to clearing the hydro boost setup also.

The Dodge hydro boost setup is 18.5" long from the firewall to the end of the M/C.

Just use the power steering pump setup from a 4BT engine. They didn't use the vac pump.
--Philip-what yrs Dodges do I look for? in a U pull yard to get a 4BT power steering set up! & THANKS--Ole JIM--
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-15-2009, 06:55 AM
Formerly CursedtoFirst45

Ive got a vacuum/ps pump combo from hydroboosted cummins. If you'd like it for your conversion, let me know.

Eric

1994 Dodge Ram 2500

Quote:
You can take our information, you can try to shut us down, but we're still here, and we're going to be better than ever!!
-John DeereGreen
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-16-2009, 12:18 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Vacume to Power steering set up

[QUOTE=StrokeThis;738631]Ive got a vacuum/ps pump combo from hydroboosted cummins. If you'd like it for your conversion, let me know.[/QUOTE--Stroke--what does the change over entail? Simple?--Bolt On--Yes I*D like that very Much!--Please send INFO--Thanks --Ole JIM--
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-16-2009, 02:31 AM
Formerly CursedtoFirst45

well, you'd need a hydroboost, and master cylinder. Im not sure on how to do the conversion, i just have these two parts that i thought you might need if you decide to do this.

Eric

1994 Dodge Ram 2500

Quote:
You can take our information, you can try to shut us down, but we're still here, and we're going to be better than ever!!
-John DeereGreen
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-16-2009, 04:47 AM

Jim I haven't looked at any 3rd gen hydroboost setups. The one I have looked over are the 2nd gens.

The setup I haven't had time to install is off a 2001 model Dodge CTD truck. None of the 4BT's came with a vac pump that I have ever seen. So any P/S pump setup would work. If it didn't have the second return line on it. You could T the return lines or replace the metal cover with on with two returns.

To use the 2nd gen hydroboost you need to open the top two mounting holes from your vac booster. The bolt spacing change just a little. If I remember I had to open the holes 1/8". No big deal there.

Here is a mockup I did on my spare cab for my W350.

93 W350 w/duals, fuel pin turned, 6X.018" injectors, 4" exhaust, 3" air intake horn, HX40/16, G56 /SBC Con-OFE, 307's axles' 2" skyjacker lift, B&W flatbed
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-17-2009, 04:05 AM

Common misses

The hydroboost can't have restriction coming back to the pump - if you use a tee it is straight through

the vacuum pump then does only the HVAC, unless he vacuum pump leasks - no worrys

The PS pump is a standard - use any can you want, even remote fill.

hydroboost w/MC shipped is under $300 - the quoted cost for a Dodge hydroboost is about the same now.

vacuum pump -last price was just over $300. At that price the cost ov a vacuum guage or a boost/vacuum is probably a fair bet. used with PS pump - not hard to change, new/rebuilt seperating the pumps can be a chore.

The plans for mine are hydroboost w/aluminum GM cylinder, disk rear brakes and a drive shaft park brake. But if I trip over a pair of Camero rear calipers.......

keydl

93 Dodge /CTD, IC, 518, club cab LE, BHAF, KDP fixed, kelderman air ride
81 Isuzu /C223na, 5spd
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-17-2009, 05:45 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Unhappy Vacume pump change over?

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrokeThis View Post
well, you'd need a hydroboost, and master cylinder. Im not sure on how to do the conversion, i just have these two parts that i thought you might need if you decide to do this.
my hydro & MC are in working order--my Vacume pumps BAD--here locally an electric vacume pump cost more than the Mopar pump does--I did a complete brake job on my Dodge--all new lines--cyls--shoes--pads--calipers--drums-the works every things NEW! bleed the brakes many times--rock solid peddel--& very discouraged--I just Don*t trust them--One panic stop & my Nice Dodge is Gone!--NOPE theres gotta be a WAY!--my main problem IS!! theres No Dodges in the salvage yards here !ocally--& aftermarket auto stores want Pre PAY --stock vacume pump--$199--Electric Vac pump--$349--{hot Rod} stuff--I guess? my best bet? is Pre Pay for a Stock MOPAR! & if?? that don*t fix It?--I DONO?--Ole Jim--

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode