what would it run?? - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by alldiesels, this thread has received 16 replies and been viewed 1024 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-25-2006, 03:12 AM Thread Starter

what would it run??

Guys i am looking at buying this truck for a daily driver. 1990 single cab 2x4 auto with 124k miles great shape, if i buy it i will do intake, exhaust, "hopup" the stock rotary pump, do some 50hp injectors, and prob a tqconverter and valve body. what you guys think it would run in the 1/4? I am also going to do a IC(out of my 6.0). With what i am doing would i see much gaine from a turbo? if so what turbo?
robert
out
p.s. i can get this truck for 5k, the paint is good, runs great, new tires, you guys think it is a ok price?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-25-2006, 11:10 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

anyone?
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-26-2006, 02:39 AM

I have to say it would be a nice truck to BOMB out. My guess on the 1/4 would be 14-16 sec. depends on how you drive it and what all you do. A reg cab 2x4 is a great ruck to make a drag truck. The stock turbo is good, keep it. If you want more power first put on the 16cm exaust housing. That is a very common turbo upgrade. If you have money to spend add the 4k gsk kit and 4k rpm kit. Injectors are a must and turning the pump up is free and easy. Price is very good, so if you want a fun diesel to drag this would be a good truck to use. There is a video in the gallery that shows a truck jut like that run like a 13 sec. 1/4. It the Sacrimento drag video, check it out and keep us posted!
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-26-2006, 02:42 AM

and if you really wanted to get crazy with it you could swap out the VE pump for a P7100 and put a set of twins on it and you would be set and 5k seems like a good price for it sounds like a good low mile truck
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-26-2006, 04:52 PM

A non-intercooled motor isn't going to be the prime candidate for a hotrod without some substantial modifications. The older motors have larger fuel lines, larger injectors, weak head gaskets, and the pump runs more timing factory than the later models 91-93. But if a daily driver is what you are looking for it would fit the bill, just don't expect a 13 second truck without spending some time and money on it.:smoke: :smoke:
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-26-2006, 06:52 PM

Dont bigger fuel lines, and injectors =more potential power? Or should i upgrade my 06 cummins to smaller injectors and fuel lines. Ive also heard that some of the fastest cummins in the world run no intercoolers, i dont think you need it for a 1/4 mile run.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-26-2006, 09:39 PM

The non-intercooled motor's injectors are a little hotter, but there is limited aftermarket injectors due to the different pop off pressures. For instance you have to run different tips on POD's in the non-intercooled engines. They have larger fuel lines due to more factory timing because they do not have a KSB solenoid, but the older pumps flow less fuel. The best option would be to convert it to the newer injection pump, lines, head gasket, and injectors. Also the trucks not running intercoolers are usually running an air to water cooler, water injection, and or nitrous. The older radiators also were known to not flow enough, hence the overheating problems, but Jegs does sell an aftermarket replacement.:smoke: :smoke:
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-30-2006, 07:03 PM

The older trucks do have larger injector lines, which means more potential. They use 9mm tipped injectors and require an adapter tip to use the 7mm nozzle injectors, very inexpensive adapters and do not require different tips on injectors. They do run more timing advance from the factory, dont know why this matters either way. They do have a KSB solenoid, it just opperates differently. The older pumps do not flow less fuel. As far as the headgasket, I dont think there is a difference, even if there is you wont have a problem with it for a mild buildup.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-31-2006, 04:42 PM

Injectors tip adapters aren't expensive, and the wax type KSB solenoid on the older pumps isn't the greatest engineering marvel. Most people don't advance the timing on the older pumps because of the higher initial timing factory. The pre-intercooled motors will be suitable for a mild build up, but when have you ever seen a non-intercooled motor make 588hp with the stock 12mm head? I'm not trying to bash the older motors, I have owned 2 93's, but if you want to build something for high horsepower, it will have to be either a later style pump, or use a 14mm KTA head. RockJeep73 the 89 in your video runs really well, but in my opinion that is a little more than a mildly bombed setup. But if Alldiesels wants to spend the money, than a setup like your brother's truck would be well worth the money. I mean afterall, there are way to few of these trucks at the dragstrips, and sledpulls.:smoke: :smoke:
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-31-2006, 06:38 PM

I forgot to mention that the later VE44 injections pumps have larger delivery valves than the non-intercooled versions, hence the same 160hp rating with less timing. The older motors do have a weaker head gasket, I wouldn't push them much over stock timing, or about 40lbs of boost.:smoke: :smoke:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode