Rotor Hub - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by BlowinSmoke, this thread has received 10 replies and been viewed 1505 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-27-2009, 04:13 PM Thread Starter

Rotor Hub

I cant seem to find anything on this. The Hub Housing attached to the rotor, does anyone know a way to get the studs out and that housing off/on the rotor itself?

90' 1 Ton Dodge Diesel 4x4 Stock 12v. 5-speed Getrag. Custom 6'' Alcan Springs. 35'' Toyos.

2002 Dodge 2500 Cummins Automatic Stock.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-27-2009, 05:11 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Ok, so I learned fast its the housing is just held to the rotor by the pressed in studs. Would anyone happen to know of a place to purchase a new housing assembly? I cant seem to narrow a search and most places dont have it.

90' 1 Ton Dodge Diesel 4x4 Stock 12v. 5-speed Getrag. Custom 6'' Alcan Springs. 35'' Toyos.

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-28-2009, 02:24 AM

The bearing spun in the hub as well as on the spindle?

If the hub flange indicates less than .0005 ( that is 1/2 a division on a .001 dial ) and will dry assemble to the same mark you can use stud lock to glue it in place.

If it is worse off a machine shop can slick it to mount a sheet metal shim so the bearing is concentric with the flange and rotor.

Knock the studs out with a nut to pad the end, best is 2 nuts jambed with the stud 1/16th or so down from flush. Common practice is to use a lug nut and then use an impact wrench to reuse the lug nut even if the end is damaged. I mostly use already damaged lug nuts from my tool box.

Going back in with out a press, balance the hub rotor on a deep socket so the stud will clear and not burr the threads, I use a 12 in drift punch and a 2 or 6 # hammer, moderate until the tone changes and then about twice as hard to set it, then across the pattern to the next one.

Knock the trash/rust/dirt off the matching surfaces so they will clamp correctly. If the stuff crushes it can lead to loose wheels.

Check part #s to see if a rear hub will fit - some do.

keydl

93 Dodge /CTD, IC, 518, club cab LE, BHAF, KDP fixed, kelderman air ride
81 Isuzu /C223na, 5spd
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-28-2009, 09:48 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Yes. Since I'll be with the truck tomorrow I'll take pictures of it, its actually quite impressive and I cant say I've ever heard or seen anything like it myself.

The inner bearing was the only one intact. The outer bearings inner race welded itself to the spindle and the cone race welded itself to the inside of the hub. I took a torch to the hub and beat on it, nothing. Dad picked up dry ice to shrink it out, nothing. The area where you could tap that out inside the hub looks like a well used brass or aluminum mallot.

Thanks on the rear hub never thought off that although I did see a tech page where people have taken the DRW hubs and machined the outer tire mounts off the housing.

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-29-2009, 06:29 AM

If you are good with a torch you can gouge the race so it will break out with a shaped chisel. Make 2 cuts about an inch apart and grind the chisel to the joint hub to race. Use a press or a 6# hammer. If the piece comes loose it will sing as it flies if the is no cover.

Ice on the hot section between the cuts will help.

Grinding slots with a Dremel type tool is another way, slots into the ledge that stops the race are no problem - even every inch or 2 all the way around.

If all else fails the segment will pop out if heated red with a tin shield to keep the hub cool.

Next time will you stop when the damage starts? That way you just peel the cage and drive the rollers around so they will come out. Not easy but a lot cheaper. I have also blown a segment of the cone with a torch and driven the bits in to drop the rollers out, and recovered the balance of the parts. Just bearings and seals.

keydl

81 Isuzu /C223na, 5spd
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-29-2009, 10:30 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

If I knew that, that damage was starting in a safer spot then when it did yeah I probably would have stopped. The first time I knew anything was going on was at 70 on the highway and then again a few seconds later. This was a violent jerk to the left as the drivers side took damage. I got the truck off the road into the next town, called home and waited 7 hours for a trailer. Then had to get it on the trailer. Interesting night I'll never forget.

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-29-2009, 11:40 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Sad incident this is and costly

-Bearing cone inside hub-

-Backside of bearing cone-

-Bandsaw cut the race and beat one half off-

-You can really see how it welded itself-

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-02-2009, 04:47 AM

That is annoying when the machines don't cooperate.

With the cut off disc worn down to fit in, cut a pair of slots so a 1in section of the race so it will break out. Grind a chisel to the radius to drive behind the shell. When the shell breaks the piece leaving will have a lot of energy - guard it so it goes where you want it to so it does not hit stuff like eyes and teeth. The big piece may need a cut but will probably break out in 3-4 pieces - same caution. The worn cutoff wheel can be used to knock off the high spots so a new race can be put in. You will need googles and a face shield to see the pattern that it is even all the way around. One of the places that the guard won't fit. When you are finished the race needs to drive the same as the others, if not use stud and bearing lock glue.

With the internal splines there is no interchange with rear hubs.

If you can find one - replacement is better, used may have bearings with it.

keydl

81 Isuzu /C223na, 5spd
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-02-2009, 01:40 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Yes little bit of a pain

I ordered new hubs which come in a pair from Spyntec Industries LLC. should be here before this weekend so I can finally get the front end finished.

Got a new spindle from Mad4wd along with all the seals. But a bonus is that a new spindle comes with all the internals in place and pregreased and the supply you with the two external seals for it. The new spindle seal kit comes with all internal/external seals.

I'm just going to mic the new spindle and try to get the old spindle to a machine shop as with the hub.

Thanks for the help and advice in this thread. Hopefully it doesnt happen again.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-03-2009, 07:46 AM

Generally good for 3-400k except for racing

keydl

81 Isuzu /C223na, 5spd

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode