HVAC Servicing (Heater core or Evaporator) - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by Mopar1973Man, this thread has received 4 replies and been viewed 1472 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-21-2010, 01:39 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gen Guru

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Mopar1973Man
HVAC Servicing (Heater core or Evaporator)

Well after a long wait... I finally got a heater core and got it back together.

Come to find out doing a A/C evaporator and heater core are simple jobs to do really... I think the forum hyper and rumors make it sound horrid to do... Really it's not bad... Time consuming but not bad.

First thing to pull the battery cables. The big thing is getting the engine bay side first get everything out of your way.

Evacuate the A/C system and drain your coolant down some for the heater hose. Pull the hoses loose on both the A/C and the heater core. There is 4 nuts holding the HVAC box on the engine side.

One is hidden under the PCM. Make sure to use duct tape or simular to cover the pipe ends from getting dirt in anything.

Now the dash is easy... 2 bolts under each kick panel just loosen them and leave in the body. If you got a manual like me you got to pull up the console. Under the console is 2 nuts and 2 bolts. Now pull your knee bolster and take the 2 nuts out holding the sterring column. Let the steering column rest on the driver seat. Take the 5 screw across the dash top out.

At this point have a tie strap handy. Take the passenger side and lift up slightly and slide outwards off the bolt. Don't get overly carriered away be careful with all the plastic. Tie the dash up using the strap. At this point you got a few more nuts. There is 3 nuts to pull here. Rught next to the in/out vent door there is a nut hidden in the corner. Then there is 2 nuts stacked on the stud near the heater core. The ground strap in hooked to it.. Now back to the driver side and look for the vacuum connection. It will be rapped in foam it should be near the drivers side floor vent. The electrical on the passenger side needs to be pulled loose too.

now the HVAC box is ready to come out. Carefully wiggle the box around and it should pop out off the firewall. Guide it to the passenger side floor and slide it out under the dash. You'll need to lift it slightly being careful of the the dash and HVAC box. Don't force anything... If it not coming out double check yourself again...

Whew! HVAC is out of the dash now.

Now the heater core is held in by 3 screw and it can be removed by pulling straight up. Nothing hard or difficult.

As for the A/C evaporator that requires the case to be split open. There is a mess load of phillip screws running the edge of the box. Now there is 1 screw hidden under a floor vent cover carefully pry the cover off to access it.

Flip the case back over to the other side (screw holes pointing down). Now carefully pry the HVAC case open and lift the top off everything. A/C Evaporator case be lifted out and replaced at this point. But I highly suggest blow out with compressed air the ducts and fan. Your going to need a roll of weather stripping foam to reseal the A/C evaporator and heater core.

Somethings to be careful of during re-assembly. Make sure your careful of the vent doors in side the HVAC case. There is a spring loaded door that you must be careful to not crush or damage. Then the blend door you got to line up the pivot post.

Now re-install the HVAC case back in the dash the reverse order you took it out.

As for recharging the system...

What you need...

Should look like this hooked up...

Drawing down a vacuum.

Then shut your manifold and shut down the vacuum pump. Just for protection I got a can of PAG oil charge for the system. Once you got the can hooked up and punctured I bleed the yellow hooks at the manifold just crak it open and purge the air out. With the vacuum present I opened the low side valve and allow the oil charge to be drawn in. Closed it and switched cean to freon and bleed again. I allowed the first can to be pushed into the system.

Now I started the engine.

I continued to add freon one can at a time. I also used a bucket of hot water from the tap to help push the freon into the system. But I added 4 cans of freon on got to this point as seen on the gauges. now I got ot remember my current outside temps are about 55*F so the freon will expand more as the days warm up.

Nice part is...

Michael Nelson - 2002 Dodge Cummins & 1996 Dodge Ram 5.9L Gasser
116K Miles On My VP44 - 4 Years of 2 Cycle Oil Diet! - Mixed at 128:1 Ratio - 25.3 MPG maxed out!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-21-2010, 03:37 PM

Garage
you did go back with a factory mopar heater core right? Had a buddy do his 3 times in one year using a napa heater core. There are some items you just have to buy from the dealer.

01 quad cab 4x4, edge drag comp, 4" exhaust, fass 150, 250 ddps, Jefferson State compounds 683hp so vp 11.91. AMSOIL front to rear. now back to stock 95 fummins in the works
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-21-2010, 05:12 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gen Guru
Threadstarter

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Mopar1973Man
Actually the NAPA heater core are aluminum like the radiator...

Michael Nelson - 2002 Dodge Cummins & 1996 Dodge Ram 5.9L Gasser
116K Miles On My VP44 - 4 Years of 2 Cycle Oil Diet! - Mixed at 128:1 Ratio - 25.3 MPG maxed out!
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-21-2010, 11:50 PM

Garage
maybe it wasn't a napa one, but the one the shop has put in a total of 3 times went out quick so he bought a mopar one and had them just put that one in. Or it could just be his luck if its like my luck. Or the shop was buying them from somewhere else and saying it was a napa

01 quad cab 4x4, edge drag comp, 4" exhaust, fass 150, 250 ddps, Jefferson State compounds 683hp so vp 11.91. AMSOIL front to rear. now back to stock 95 fummins in the works
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-23-2010, 03:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01quadcab View Post
maybe it wasn't a napa one, but the one the shop has put in a total of 3 times went out quick so he bought a mopar one and had them just put that one in. Or it could just be his luck if its like my luck. Or the shop was buying them from somewhere else and saying it was a napa
when I did mine, they had a cheap on and a more exspensive heater core from carquest. I spent the extra 30 somewhat dollars and got the better one. You get what you pay for.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode