Lift Pump Culprit? - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by Johnboy11-1, this thread has received 3 replies and been viewed 1021 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 01:20 AM Thread Starter

Question Lift Pump Culprit?

Hi Fellas,

Today my truck let me down for the first time. The truck has been running like a scalded dog (only when I throw the water at it ).

I was turning up a hill and the truck suddenly became sluggish and died almost immediately after. She would not refire. The passenger ran to our shop down the road, grab some famous "Red Fuel" to dump in the tank just to make sure the fuel gauge wasn't broken but no dice.

I checked the inlet line on the VP44 for pressure and only dribbles came out. I tried turning the key, stater bump to prime. The fuel filter resevior would not fill even with the cap off. I tried to dump fuel directly into the filter housing, replaced the filter and tried again. No bueno.

I am currently NOT running a Low Pressure light but that will VERY soon change. This is still the stock lift pump. Are these symtoms of a bad lift pump? ...or?
Any ideas would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks!

Last edited by Johnboy11-1; 08-24-2010 at 01:38 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-25-2010, 03:15 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Just an update;
I tried the lift pump again after sitting overnight. The truck would still not start but the lift pump did prime with the cap off and fuel ran all over the place. I pressed the pressure test outlet and air came out then the red fuel. I tried starting the motor but it would not fire. I'm begining to think that the lift pump went bad (low pressure) and that it wrecked my injection pump.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-25-2010, 11:40 PM

I pm'd you the test procedure for you stock lift pump. hope this helps.
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-25-2010, 11:51 PM

also may look at this post had your type of symtoms before it died completely. https://www.thedieselgarage.com/forum...d.php?t=101331

Tags
injection pump, lift pump, stalled, vp44

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode