Buying my first diesel. - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by benson0484, this thread has received 2 replies and been viewed 1102 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-28-2010, 06:27 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Buying my first diesel.

I don't know what is a good find or something I should walk away from. I am looking at an 01 four wheeled drive extended cab long bed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-30-2010, 03:54 PM

Garage
its really hard to tell to by just a short post that you made, if your looking at a 5.9L cummins then the engine is worth its weight in gold. the shape that rest of the truck is going to be the determining factor. my truck is in great shape but i bought it from ohio. so rust can become a big problem, it can make somthing simple like changing ball joints difficult. when i had to change my ball joints which require the removal of the hubs and axels i could not get my hubs free. i had to torch them out and replace it all to include the abs sensors and dust shields. a 400 dollar job turned into a 1800 dollar job just like that and all because of rust. if you can get under her and see what she has up underneath. pay particular attention to things like tie-rod ends, and ball joints, cab and body mounts. little things like this are easy to fix but they take away from money that could be spent elsewhere ie proformance parts, and trust me, building diesel trucks is an addiction, anyone on this forum will vouch for that.

2001 Dodge Ram 2500 / 4x4 / Crewcab / 47RE auto trans / Smarty S-03 programmer / Airdog 150
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 10:16 PM

Yeah, I am battling rust as well, and its a pain. I would pass up any truck that has rust. When I bought it, it seemed like it was just some surface rust on the frame, but upon closer inspection over the years as I have crawled all over it, the damage from the rust spread much much further than that. The truck had been repainted prior to the owner I bought it from, and that paint covered up a lot of body rust. It is unbelievable how frustrating that can be. So like mentioned above, be very thorough in looking for rust like you would on any vehicle. And also, pay close attention to the transmission, drivetrain, steering and suspension components.

Also, a good idea to decide now what you are going to use the truck for and what you want out of the truck, and decide accordingly, because each has its own different quirks and problems that need to be checked out.
Sean

2000 2500 reg. cab 4x4 auto 577hp
09 6.7L QC LB stick, 4x4.

TOTAL PERFORMANCE DIESEL 707-545-FUEL (3835)
www.totalperformancediesel.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode