Quadzilla Scout issues, NEED HELP/advice - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by snipes4ever, this thread has received 7 replies and been viewed 2647 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-15-2011, 03:25 PM Thread Starter

Quadzilla Scout issues, NEED HELP/advice

Sorry for the long post, please read through, i detailed what i could remember. I bought a 2000 pickup that already had an XZT+. I wanted some gauges to track fuel pressure, boost, and EGT and liked the XZT so much i figured i would check out the Quad gauge stuff. Liked the Scout and all the extra stuff on top of the normal gauges so i ordered the gauge, the EGT kit, fuel pressure kit, and pillar mount from Xtreme Diesel Performance back on about Dec 15. Both the Scout and XZT mount up to the data link in the truck. The Quad instructions state a triangle 3 pin but the truck data link is a flat 3 pin. The correct adapters came with the Scout and plugged right in.

Got everything installed, hooked up and mounted that week, go to start the truck and the fuel pressure and boost don't read. The boost reads 0 all the time and the fuel pressure would blip up to about 3-4psi intermittenly. Everything else seems to work including RPM, ECM voltage, EGT, load, Intake Air Temp, coolant temp, fuel temp, ect. The Scout was also stopping the XZT high idle (set to high idle after 2 min. until 140 degrees).

So i call up Quadzilla tech, work with Jeremy, who has been helpful to the best of his ability. He has me check the wiring, all good, check the voltage on the line from the fuel pressure transducer, it seems within spec. I updated the software on both the Scout and XZT and still no change. He asked if the IAT is reading, as if that is, then the boost should read from the ECM.

Finally a month from when i bought it, i pay to have it shipped to Quad so they can check it out. They have it for 5 weeks and adjusted some stuff. They are located in Texas and were waiting for a guy from a few hours north to come down to their shop so they could test the scout on his truck, apparently he was having a similar issue, idk? After 2 1/2 weeks of waiting for this person, i told them this is unacceptable, maybe i could post on here (thedieselgarage.com) and cumminsforum.com about my experience and see if Quad could pay someone to come there to test my stuff. Jeremy said the engineer had one more tune to put on the Scout, let him try that and he would get back to me Mon. No call Mon, but the Scout came back in the mail Tues. I called him and he says that it wasn't supposed to be shipped yet. This was 2 weeks ago, about 10 weeks since i bought it.

I plug the scout back in, turn the truck on and the fuel pressure now reads 6-7psi idling, will drop all the way to 0 when accelerating and sits at 1 when cruising. XZT high idle is working intermittenly. I believe this is not accurate or the truck wouldn't run. The boost still read 0 constantly. I call Jeremy and let him know, he says that's too bad, there's nothing more they can do, i should call who i bought it from and return it. I was floored by this because they gave up on their product but kind of happy as i might see resolution.

I call XDP and speak with Mike in cust. service who says they have another Scout in stock, last one (they have been discontinued), would i like to send mine back first or pay for another scout and then return the one i currently have when the other one arrives and they will refund me. I pay for the other one so i can test both.

I plug in the new Scout and brain and same thing, dammit! Trouble shot last night and got no good results. Tried the old and new Scout and brain without the XZT plugged in, unplugged everything to check connections. Disconnected both batteries to reset computers. All with no change. XZT high idle is also not working with the new unit.

Anyone have some ideas, suggestions, whatcha think? I believe the fuel pressure and boost are related. I have not tried a new transducer (the unit that read the fuel pressure at the VP via different banjo bolt, Jeremy couldn't get ahold of one. Is my truck computer bad, is this affecting other stuff? I don't really want to go with regular gauges and i have $150 tied up in the EGT and fuel press. kits that i'm sure cant be refunded. Would like to ditch XZT and Scout to go with Adrenaline i guess but this is all so messed up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-16-2011, 03:20 AM
ADMIN/MAFIA

Garage
If it were me I would return both. Something is not right. The truck runs correctly right? Any Codes? (Cycle key on off 3 times w/o starting on 3rd time leave key in run pos. codes with be displayed in the odometer.) what else is done to the truck? Stock fuel system? If so the 7-8 PSI could be accurate. Check for codes, if the MAP Sensor is not reading then you may not get a boost reading. All the other functions are working? If so and you have no codes, I would return it and look at another means of tuning such as smarty, and gauges. See if you have codes first and it so please post them, and give us a detail of mileage and mods done.

"Only accurate rifles are interesting" -Townsend Whelen

2012 Ram 2500 Crew Cab Big Horn
6.7L 68RFE 4wd
Yeah its stock.
Edge Insight CTS / Line-X / Access Bed Cover
B&W Turnover Ball / Companion Hitch
Pac Brake Air Bags
On Board Air
Optima Redtop 34Rs

2010 John Deere 2305
2010 Jeep Wrangler JK Unlimited Rubicon/ Tuned with some toys.
2016 Keystone Impact 311 Toyhauler

9-11-2001 NEVER FORGET
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-16-2011, 04:47 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

I borrowed a fuel pressure tester this evening from Autozone and according to it, i think the Scout readings are near correct, which sucks. I have a stock fuel system and think that the lift pump is giving up the ghost, hopefully i caught it before the inj. pump follows.
Truck has 220k miles, mods are in my sig, pretty basic stuff. As for codes, it had some codes that i pulled awhile back:
P0602 powertrain control module programming erro
P0380 glow plug/heater circuit A
P0382 glow plug/heater circuit B
P1693 companion DTC set in edm & pcm

I had reset the codes to see what was most recent and if all were still coming up and the only ones showing now are the heater circuit ones. Turck runs fine, doesn't like to start on the first crank if not plugged in and under 20 degrees but that's about it.

Also, after paying closer attention, boost intermittenly jump around up to 3psi under WOT.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-17-2011, 03:47 AM
ADMIN/MAFIA

Garage
The PCM codes could very well be part of your issues. set the truck completely back to stock and recheck the codes. As for the P0380 and P0382 are you sure they said glow plug as your rig doesn't have any glow plugs in it, could they have been Grid heater codes? if so check your voltage on the wires going under your intake horn. As for the fuel pressure issues, Pureflow has a lot of great options as does FASS, either way you choose to go, put in a good fuel press gauge to watch what it does, I would not want to rely on the screen for Fuel press.

6.7L 68RFE 4wd
Yeah its stock.
Pac Brake Air Bags
On Board Air
Optima Redtop 34Rs

2010 John Deere 2305

9-11-2001 NEVER FORGET
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-17-2011, 05:00 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Thanks, just looked and I must not have updated my signature at the bottom of my posts. Truck has an MBRP 4" turbo back, K&N intake from filter to turbo, Banks High Ram w/ boost tube and the XZT+, and with an automatic.

I believe the glow plug/heater codes refer to the grid heater and will have to check further on that. Pull the intake cap you say? Maybe the boost has to do with the aftermarket one on there now.

I'm in the hunt for a good fuel pump/filter system, still researching that, hope to order tomorrow.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-18-2011, 06:03 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Ordered an Airdog 150 today (yesterday i guess) with a draw straw from Pure Diesel Performance, will be installing as soon as it arrives. Spoke with Chris who was super cool and gave me alot of insight and ideas. Jeff from XDP contacted me on cumminsforum and is staying in touch, says we can figure this all out and they will make it right one way or another. Someone from Quad also commented on my post on cumminsforum and suggested i check my map sensor as that may cause my boost to not read. He also gave instruction on how to test the power going to the XZT, which could affect the high idle. Pretty pumped to try all this stuff out, should be fairly rowdy compared to stock.

'00 2500 ext cab, short box, auto, 4x4, 220k mi. MBRP 4" turbo back, K&N intake filter to turbo, Banks high ram and boost tube, Quad XZT+, Quad Scout, leveling kit, sporting 315 Fierce M/T's, bushwacker flares
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-18-2011, 02:50 PM
ADMIN/MAFIA

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by snipes4ever View Post
Thanks, just looked and I must not have updated my signature at the bottom of my posts. Truck has an MBRP 4" turbo back, K&N intake from filter to turbo, Banks High Ram w/ boost tube and the XZT+, and with an automatic.

I believe the glow plug/heater codes refer to the grid heater and will have to check further on that. Pull the intake cap you say? Maybe the boost has to do with the aftermarket one on there now.

I'm in the hunt for a good fuel pump/filter system, still researching that, hope to order tomorrow.
You should not have to pull the intake to check the grid heater to see if its getting power. You should see the wires on the back side of the intake horn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snipes4ever View Post
Ordered an Airdog 150 today (yesterday i guess) with a draw straw from Pure Diesel Performance, will be installing as soon as it arrives. Spoke with Chris who was super cool and gave me alot of insight and ideas. Jeff from XDP contacted me on cumminsforum and is staying in touch, says we can figure this all out and they will make it right one way or another. Someone from Quad also commented on my post on cumminsforum and suggested i check my map sensor as that may cause my boost to not read. He also gave instruction on how to test the power going to the XZT, which could affect the high idle. Pretty pumped to try all this stuff out, should be fairly rowdy compared to stock.

The map sensor could be your problem, I know a like of tuners piggy back off the MAP plug in. Did you put a new gasket in when you did the new intake horn? Glad XDP is willing to work with you. I would also see about putting a standalone gauge on the airdog, I went down that VP road with my 01 and it isnt much fun.

6.7L 68RFE 4wd
Yeah its stock.
Pac Brake Air Bags
On Board Air
Optima Redtop 34Rs

2010 John Deere 2305

9-11-2001 NEVER FORGET
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-12-2011, 04:49 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Figured i would post results for reference or if Qzilla would like to further trouble shoot my boost issue.

Here's the link for the stuff i had on cummins forum.com http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/98...lp-advice.html

Installed an Airdog 150 about 3 weeks ago, just after last post. Hooked up the fuel pressure sender right to the airdog. There is a threaded hole plugged by an allen blot/plug that is drlled right into the output line from the AD. The quadzilla transducer was small enough to fit without an elbow. Fuel pressure now reads 17-19 at idle and 14-18 at WOT.

Boost is still not reading. Spoke with Jeremy at Quadzilla and he says some trucks 98.5-00 don't communicate with the Scout and won't give boost readings. He has seen it maybe 4-5 times ever over the years. Says that if they can get a truck to test, they will do so and let me know, as of right now i'm not holding my breath. Will probably just end up getting a boost gauge, which is one of the three main reasons i bought the Scout. :doh:

The XZT+ still won't high idle, even though all tests show good.

A shout out to XDP and quadzilla for all the help, both good companies to work with.

'00 2500 ext cab, short box, auto, 4x4, 220k mi. MBRP 4" turbo back, K&N intake filter to turbo, Banks high ram and boost tube, Quad XZT+, Quad Scout, leveling kit, sporting 315 Fierce M/T's, bushwacker flares

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode