hard start when hot!! - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by sstockton, this thread has received 35 replies and been viewed 8501 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-25-2006, 04:26 AM Thread Starter

hard start when hot!!

Ok, so pretty much the concensus that I have gathered, is that this would be due to the pressure from my FASS, and possibly having a damaged diaphram in my VP. The weird thing is, I ran the FASS for 3-4weeks without having any problem, then all of the sudden last week, it started getting really hard to start, it probably takes 3 seconds of cranking to turn over. How can I fix this? Will getting a lower pressure spring help? or can I replace the diaphram in my VP or is it time for me to buy a HotRod-44(that would suck I didn't want to do that until this fall). Anyways, thanks in advance guys.
Sean

2000 2500 reg. cab 4x4 auto 577hp
09 6.7L QC LB stick, 4x4.

TOTAL PERFORMANCE DIESEL 707-545-FUEL (3835)
www.totalperformancediesel.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-25-2006, 04:32 AM

Hard start period, or only hard start when hot?
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-25-2006, 05:31 AM

Pager messages are cool, good luck Sean, and let us know what you find out.
post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-25-2006, 12:31 PM

I have never had a problem starting it when hot, I hope the vp is not dead:barf: . It could be to much pressure, what is it runnin. I run 19 at idle and 14 wot:Thumbup:

'01 xcab 4x4,Suncoast by Mike L. Goerend triple, edge III, AFE stage II, HTT 62/12, FASS, and other stuff
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-25-2006, 05:31 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

I'm about to go check all my return lines and injector lines and connector tubes and what not. Hopefully I'll find something there. Its weird sometimes when I start it, if I tap the throttle it will fire up pretty quickly, other times that doesn't make any difference. We'll see i guess.
Sean

post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-25-2006, 08:11 PM

Well I am having the same problem. I also have a FASS. But I have a buddy that has a computer. We plugged it into my truck and guess what. Internal Timing malfunction. That really sucks. So I tried to take all my goodies off and go back to the dealer. They ran a check on the code and there were 7 codes. The pump malfunction, APPS, Trans relay override, overboost, Pump timing override and a couple of others. And they would not warranty the pump or APPS. I have heard the Hot Rod pump is not worth the money. I guess if i cant get a plan VP44 for $1000 or a little less in town I really can visulize paying another $900 or so for just 80Hp.
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-25-2006, 09:35 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

okay the weirdest thing, I tried checking all my lines and what have you, no leaks, system works fine. I tried cranking it, and it wasn't going, I let it sit for a while, and then cracked the number 1 line, it fired right up. turned it off, tightened the line and it fired up fine agian. Drove down the street to this girls house and it started fine went to lunch got out, and the same thing as before. I hope its not a timing malfunction.
Sean

post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-26-2006, 12:11 AM
SETDR Vice President

Send a message via Yahoo to jgendr
Let me save you all a bunch of head scratching and brain racking!!

I've had this problem on and off ever since I put my Stage 4 injectors and Holley Blue pusher pump on. I'm running anywhere from 20 to 26 psi to the injector pump. I thought it was the same thing, I blew something in the VP!!!

My solusion!!! Take it for what It's worth!!!! It always works for me!!!

If you are having a hard start Problem after Mods when it is hot and the truck cranks like normal at cold (ie after sitting over night )

1. on your next Fuel fillup spend the $11 and get 1 gallon of Power Services in the white Jug!!! Every Fuel stop Has it and it's the cheapest fuel additive out there.

2. Before you fuel up, Pour the whole gallon into the tank!!!! Yes the whole gallon!!!!

3. Fill your tank full of Diesel!

Now buy a new Gallon to keep in your truck!

Clean out a 20oz soda bottle and keep it with the power services!

4. Every time you fill up, or at least everother time add a whole 20oz bottle's worth to your fill up.

Now the rassional:

The problem we are seeing like this one is NOT and it repeat NOT the VP going south!!!!!!!!! It is NOT air bleeding into the system!!! It's NOT a Cracked injector line or loose fitting!!

The problem is that the new fuel that is being sold is a low sulfer Fuel!! It no longer has the lubrication that it use to. With added pressure from aftermarket Tranfer pumps and the less lubrication we are seeing reactions with the VP!!!

You may think this sounds crazy, but I've been there and seen that for over 2 years now!! Trust me IT WORKS!!!! Everyone should add atleast the recommended amount of fuel additive every fillup! I use power Services cause it's cheap and It has never let me down. I haven't added it for the last 6 fill up's and I'm getting the same problem again! Time fore a good system cleaning and Lub and start adding every fill up!

JG

01 Dodge 2500 4X4 Auto
RED Quad Cab
DD4's, Hx35, 5" exhaust, Edge Comp, BHAF, Holley Blue Pusher pump. Full Blown Sun Coast Comp Tranny, Laminated Flywheel, 91% ProLoc TQconvertor
last Dyno 437hp, 996tq :Thumbup:
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-26-2006, 12:29 AM

Let me enlighten this a little bit, THE VP44 DOES NOT LIKE fuel pressure above 15psi, infact the VP really wants 13psi constant. No you can not replace the diaphram in the VP yourself, you may be having VP problems already, but then again you may not..........as far as the HRVP44 shoot me a PM and I will let ya know what I know about them..........since I do sell the things for Industrail Injection............since I am in and out of these pumps I can help you out..................just shoot me a PM if you are intrested.....later Jim.
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-26-2006, 12:46 AM

:agreed: I'm with Joe, I did not added the power service for like three tanks and I nowticed the difference, I added the last two tanks and the truck ran better and my mileage went up. The new ultra low sulfur diesel is going to need the additive for our trucks .

'01 xcab 4x4,Suncoast by Mike L. Goerend triple, edge III, AFE stage II, HTT 62/12, FASS, and other stuff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode