power problems? - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by cottonfarmer, this thread has received 7 replies and been viewed 967 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-09-2006, 02:53 AM Thread Starter

power problems?

The problem I am having is that under heavy load my truck does not pull like I think it should. The rpm will just level off at around 1500 to 1800. What could be my problem? I replace the fuel filter regularly, and just recently had the lift pump replaced. My truck is an 01 Dodge 2500 "regular" output Cummins. I have the BHAF, Superchip tuner, and 4 inch exhaust. Any information is greaty appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-09-2006, 03:47 AM
Bouncer

Hard to say without knowing what exactly you mean under heavy load. Do you have an auto or manual tranny? Why was the lift pump replaced? How long was it bad and how many miles did you drive on it that way? Does your truck have any codes? Does it start like it should when it's warm?

We really need some more info to be able to make any suggestion. Please take a couple moments to fill out your signature so we can better help you.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-09-2006, 11:13 AM
TDG Mafia Member #21

Let us know load weight as well. If it's an auto, are you towing in OD? all this info will help.

2007 F350 CC 4x4, EGR delete, stock for now

Old truck :"01" Dodge 3500 DRW. Goerend Bros w/ triple disk, Edge Drag Comp, Jammer Stage 5's, Turnbuckle, Dakota Digital and ISSPRO Gauges, BHAF,4" FLO-PRO exhaust, Vulcan kit, Holley Blue Pump, TC Lockup Switch, Snow stage 2, a few more little bits in the works

377hp and 823tq @ Smokin' (with stage 3's/no drag upgrade)
"400" club wannabe
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-09-2006, 07:20 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

More info

Here is the extra info needed about my truck. I have an auto transmission, stock. The lift pump was not pumping the pressure that it should, so I had it replaced. It went for a few months before being replaced. The truck starts as it should, except occasionally, it will cut off after put in gear. Loads would range from 4 tons(1000 gallons water) to 7 tons(trailor load of peanuts). Once the truck gets going it is fine, the problem is in taking off. When you stomp it, it just sits there with around 1500 rpm. Like the engine has no "get up and go." The diesel shop that I use says they can't find anything other than the lift pump, but something does not seem right. Any information is greatly appreciated.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-09-2006, 07:27 PM
Bouncer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cottonfarmer
I have an auto transmission, stock. Loads would range from 4 tons(1000 gallons water) to 7 tons(trailor load of peanuts). Once the truck gets going it is fine, the problem is in taking off. When you stomp it, it just sits there with around 1500 rpm. Like the engine has no "get up and go."
Do some upgrades to your tranny and that will make a big difference. I am here to tell you though. You're not going to find many trucks that you can have 14,000lbs in tow, where you can "stomp it" and go.

I have a feeling that you might be expecting more than your truck is capable of in it's current state.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-09-2006, 10:49 PM

When you accelerate from a stop do the rpm hold at 1500? Or do they go higher? If they hold there or close to it that doesnt sound like a problem with the converter and the stall speed. It might be the torque management kicking in. If it sees too much boost too quickly without what the computer figures is enough speed it will defuel until it sees a rise in vehicle speed.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-10-2006, 11:54 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Thanks everyone for the help. I don't expect to take off like a race car with 7 tons in tow, but I think now it is just defueling. Once again THANKS!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-14-2006, 02:43 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to steved
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected]
When you accelerate from a stop do the rpm hold at 1500? Or do they go higher? If they hold there or close to it that doesnt sound like a problem with the converter and the stall speed. It might be the torque management kicking in. If it sees too much boost too quickly without what the computer figures is enough speed it will defuel until it sees a rise in vehicle speed.

An 01 wouldn't have torque management would it?? I thought that was a relatively new "feature" on the 3rd gens??

The dying after started sounds like a CPS...think I read about this situation with bad CPS before.

I agree with these guys...a stock auto pulling those weights is asking a little much, but at the same time you might want to have DC run a scan of the computer and see what the diesel shop might be missing (some codes are STAR specific and not OBDII generic IIRC).

steved

SOLD - 2004.5 2500 Ram, 600CTD, NV5600, 4.10s, FASS'd, Dynatrac Free-Spin Kit, Gulf Coast 0-1 bypass, Intake and Exhaust.

New - 2012 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD, 6.0L, 6spd auto, 4wd, 3.73s..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode