Used 2001 2500 - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by drummerboydw, this thread has received 7 replies and been viewed 794 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-19-2006, 10:37 PM Thread Starter

Used 2001 2500

Hello everyone. I'm new here so questions may be dumb. I have just purchased a 2001 Dodge Ram 2500 SLT 4x4. The truck seems to run like new. It has about 65000 miles on it. Just wondering if there are any pointers I should be aware of. Where do you read the codes? I'll have more questions later. Thanks for all your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-19-2006, 11:13 PM

Make sure your transfer pump is always working because if you don't you may burn up your injection pump which is what I am going through right now.

01 Qc Cummins 4x4 long box, edge attitude with juice (HOT!!), 4" exhaust, afe stage 2 intake, HTB2 62/12, banks intake pleum, bully dog big fuel kit, stage three jammers, southbend 3250 DD, BD Blow off valve. PDR master and slave cylinder upgrade. Sold

2006 mega cab 4x4 auto. Stock for now.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-19-2006, 11:58 PM

Get gauges if it doesn't have them.
Watch your fuel pressure. If it starts to dip get a new lift pump before it goes for good, it could take your vp44
Watch your front end. Track bar, ball joints, etc.
Once you modify it you will never go back!

94 Dodge reg cab 2wd auto
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-20-2006, 12:09 AM
TDG Mafia Member #21

:iagree The number one thing to do right now is get your fuel pressure checked. Then do a good service on the truck unless you have some kind of proof that it has been done lately. If you want to check for codes turn on your ign. switch 3 times in a row without starting the truck. The code numbers will appear in the odometer window. If you dont have any codes a "P DONE" will show. You can also go to a parts store to get the codes read but that will only work if you have a CEL on.

The next thing is to get out the check book and let us lead you down the dark road of "modding":evil: :Thumbup:

2007 F350 CC 4x4, EGR delete, stock for now

Old truck :"01" Dodge 3500 DRW. Goerend Bros w/ triple disk, Edge Drag Comp, Jammer Stage 5's, Turnbuckle, Dakota Digital and ISSPRO Gauges, BHAF,4" FLO-PRO exhaust, Vulcan kit, Holley Blue Pump, TC Lockup Switch, Snow stage 2, a few more little bits in the works

377hp and 823tq @ Smokin' (with stage 3's/no drag upgrade)
"400" club wannabe
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-20-2006, 02:23 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Thanks for the replies. Any certain gauges you reccomend to keep an eye on the fuel pressure? Is this lift pump something that usually goes out this sson? Thanks again
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-20-2006, 07:41 AM
TDG Mafia 36

Send a message via Yahoo to Diesel Fanatic
I prefer Autometer gauges myself, the lift pump is by far the weak link in the fuel system, and have been known to go out alot sooner than 65,000. I would much rather replace my l/p than my vp44. Also if you have an auto trans a trans temp gauge wouldn't hurt, along with a pyro and boost

Just my :2cents

Brandon AKA bcumminsmeck
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-20-2006, 10:49 AM
TDG Mafia Member #21

I like Isspro for mechanical gauges and Dakota Digital for electronic gauges. I have seen lift pumps go out in less than 500 miles. They may last 100,000 miles or 50 miles. You never know.

2007 F350 CC 4x4, EGR delete, stock for now

Old truck :"01" Dodge 3500 DRW. Goerend Bros w/ triple disk, Edge Drag Comp, Jammer Stage 5's, Turnbuckle, Dakota Digital and ISSPRO Gauges, BHAF,4" FLO-PRO exhaust, Vulcan kit, Holley Blue Pump, TC Lockup Switch, Snow stage 2, a few more little bits in the works

377hp and 823tq @ Smokin' (with stage 3's/no drag upgrade)
"400" club wannabe
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-20-2006, 04:27 PM
Bouncer

All the above info is excellent and I would do exactly as they recommend, especially on the fuel pressure.

You can post in the Vendor Forum for anything you may want and the vendors can reply to you. Or you can go to the Vendor page and check out their websites for yourself. Lots of good folks on here to deal with that will not steer you wrong.:Thumbup:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode