Twin Setups - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by bad_cummins, this thread has received 12 replies and been viewed 1268 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-31-2006, 02:59 AM Thread Starter

Twin Setups

I'm looking into getting a twin turbo setup. I would like to have between 500 and 600 horsepower at the wheels. I know there is a lot of custom setups out there but i don't know what to look for in a custom setup. I would like lightning quick spool up and a target peak boost of about 60 psi. I would appreciate any help with turbo selection, different exhaust housings, price, and where i can get them. Thanks for the help guys.

01 Qc Cummins 4x4 long box, edge attitude with juice (HOT!!), 4" exhaust, afe stage 2 intake, HTB2 62/12, banks intake pleum, bully dog big fuel kit, stage three jammers, southbend 3250 DD, BD Blow off valve. PDR master and slave cylinder upgrade. Sold

2006 mega cab 4x4 auto. Stock for now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-31-2006, 03:01 AM

Send a message via AIM to LIPD
I believe BD has a twin kit that is setup for that HP range as well as ATS and also Poole
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-31-2006, 08:39 AM

Piers also has a twins set up that will accomodate that, as well as rip rook. I'm not sure on the price, but I've talked to Rip about his twins, and was impressed with the numbers he gave me. 550rwhp with 105hp sticks and a drag comp, topping out at 1100*. I know his set up uses an S400 paired with your stock turbo. He is worth looking into. Rip at http://www.sourceautomotive.biz. he's Very knowledgable and has never steered me in the wrong direction.

I would suggest calling several companies doing a little research that way. Poole is supposed to have top notch twins as well.
you can always build your own, but there is a lot of trial and error in that. What injectors do you want to run as well, or which ones do you have.
Sean

2000 2500 reg. cab 4x4 auto 577hp
09 6.7L QC LB stick, 4x4.

TOTAL PERFORMANCE DIESEL 707-545-FUEL (3835)
www.totalperformancediesel.com
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-31-2006, 08:47 AM

Send a message via AIM to LIPD
Doesn't HTT also have a Twin kit
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-31-2006, 10:26 AM

Also judging by your profile you will also need a transmission and headstuds to go along with those twins.

2000 F-250
4x4 ECSB
4" DP - 5" Back - 8" Black miter
K&N Intake
Tony Wildman 6pos Chip
Stewart Warner Maximum Boost, Trans, Pyro
35" BFG KM MT's
Jensen 7" Flip out DVD/CD
10" Rockford Fosgate Subwoofer
2400w Rockford Fosgate Amp

Soon to come -
4"-6" Lift
HID's
05+Front end Conversion
Train Horns
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-31-2006, 03:26 PM

I would honestly get the Aurora 5000 by itself. I have it on my 06 Dodge and I can max out a 60 pd boost guage.. I really like that turbo not to laggy I hope to get one on my 01 dodge soon.. Studs are recommended!!!
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-31-2006, 06:18 PM
Bouncer

Whatever you go with, do lots of research before you buy. A big single has some advantages over twins as do twins over a big single.

A big single will no doubt be easier to install. Although with a big single you can experience lots of lag and a drop in MPG.

With twins you have more install time. Although you will have better spooling and nothing will beat the cool air that twins can produce.

Like said above, you definately need to look into headstuds at minimum before going either route. I don't think you would necessarily need to have o-rings, but I would install a 12v Marine headgasket to lower compression just a hair. All you need to do is make a couple passgaes a little bit larger with a drill bit.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-31-2006, 10:16 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

WOW thanks for all the help guys. And as recommended by several people i'm already going to get a head job done, including, head studs ported and polished to a stage 2 on PDR specs as well as ground to fit the ATS manifold, and O-ringed in a couple of weeks. So now im looking into a reason to have the job done. WINK WINK. Any way im looking into 80 to 100 horse sticks, stage 2 snow performace water/meth injection, and 5 in exhaust to stacks, as well as a new clutch, 1 3/8" input shaft, new intercooler and boots/clamps. But im really don't know that much about the twin setups avaliable. Once agian thanks for the replies and keep em cummin.

01 Qc Cummins 4x4 long box, edge attitude with juice (HOT!!), 4" exhaust, afe stage 2 intake, HTB2 62/12, banks intake pleum, bully dog big fuel kit, stage three jammers, southbend 3250 DD, BD Blow off valve. PDR master and slave cylinder upgrade. Sold

2006 mega cab 4x4 auto. Stock for now.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-31-2006, 10:32 PM

From everything I've read and the people I've talked to, I think you'll want to run a relatively small top turbo stock or 35/40 hybrid if you want quick spool up, especially with injectors that small. I don't have twins on my truck yet, so I can't say from personal experience But that is the way I would lean towards if I were you. Like others have mentioned, maybe consider a large single, they do have there pluses too, however I'm going to run twins on my truck because my experience with modded trucks and big singles, is it becomes very diffcult to tow.
Sean

2000 2500 reg. cab 4x4 auto 577hp
09 6.7L QC LB stick, 4x4.

TOTAL PERFORMANCE DIESEL 707-545-FUEL (3835)
www.totalperformancediesel.com
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-07-2006, 08:21 PM

so let me ask you this, those of you with twin on a manual truck how are they to live with ever day? ALso what about pulling a load that is about 7K pound. I ask a local guy if he had pulled any think with his twin meth injected 6 speed and he said "Yea, Headlights"

Reason i ask is with the auto they stay on boost when you shift with a load, which you cant do that with a manual, (you can but...) so getting a load moving wonder how much lag time inbetween shift there is with a twin set up and 7-8K pounds behind you?

On a side note, if you where to have auto i take you would need a fully built trans and stall which is $3-6k?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode