High mileage 24v - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by GotTorque?, this thread has received 19 replies and been viewed 3875 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-24-2006, 11:22 AM Thread Starter

High mileage 24v

Heres the problem my dad is buying me a truck but he thinks high mileage diesels are bad. I found a 1999 24v Quad Cab 4x4 with 243k on it for $9995. I told him they will last a long time and I will be doing a new transmission and other stuff to it anyways down the line. How long do these motors last without any mods and with mods? Any information will be helpful.

2000 F-250
4x4 ECSB
4" DP - 5" Back - 8" Black miter
K&N Intake
Tony Wildman 6pos Chip
Stewart Warner Maximum Boost, Trans, Pyro
35" BFG KM MT's
Jensen 7" Flip out DVD/CD
10" Rockford Fosgate Subwoofer
2400w Rockford Fosgate Amp

Soon to come -
4"-6" Lift
HID's
05+Front end Conversion
Train Horns
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-24-2006, 02:38 PM

That is a loaded question. Really it depends on who is driving the truck and how they take care of the truck. Some will get 500K+ others will have lots of problems getting to 200K.
Ask lots of questions, see if they have service records, and look at the persons other trucks or cars. How they take care of their other vehicles could tell you how they took care of the one they are selling.
Expect to replace other things on the truck. Make sure you change the oil in the axles, transfercase, and trans. They are ignored too often.

These engines are supposed to last a long time but it is still a used vehicle and it is always a risk when you buy used. Good luck.

94 Dodge reg cab 2wd auto
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-24-2006, 04:05 PM
Bouncer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97crewcab
That is a loaded question. Really it depends on who is driving the truck and how they take care of the truck. Some will get 500K+ others will have lots of problems getting to 200K.
Ask lots of questions, see if they have service records, and look at the persons other trucks or cars. How they take care of their other vehicles could tell you how they took care of the one they are selling.
Expect to replace other things on the truck. Make sure you change the oil in the axles, transfercase, and trans. They are ignored too often.

These engines are supposed to last a long time but it is still a used vehicle and it is always a risk when you buy used. Good luck.
:iagree :iagree :iagree

I bought my current truck 2 1/2 years ago with 242k on the clock. It was bone stock though and the motor was weel cared for. If the rest of the truck or the owners other vehicles look beat all to heck, then chances are the motor was treated the same way.
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-24-2006, 06:15 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

I will be asking lots of questions before I even go to NJ to look at it. The body looks excellent, same with the interior. I know all about changing the oil every in the truck regulary ( becuase I am a mechanic ). Thanks for the info!

2000 F-250
4x4 ECSB
K&N Intake
Tony Wildman 6pos Chip
35" BFG KM MT's

Soon to come -
4"-6" Lift
HID's
05+Front end Conversion
Train Horns
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-24-2006, 07:29 PM

GotTorque,
Check out the link of a truck in woodbury, CT. Looks like a real good deal and it's alot closer than NJ. Take your time when looking for a cummins, It took me 3 months before I found my truck. Alot of people want way too much for the truck because of the diesel. I looked at trucks beat to hell with 150k for the same price I paid for mine with a brand new tranny and plow.

http://www.bargainnews.com/viewad.cf...26&TheDealer=0
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-25-2006, 02:13 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

I know what you mean, Ive been looking for a few months... I have $1000 right now for a down payment and will have another $500 by the time my dad can get me the money he is giving me so I will only have around 9-9.5k. That truck is wicked nice, also I like the sport package on the dodges, but I cant afford the 12k right now, Im only 16.

2000 F-250
4x4 ECSB
K&N Intake
Tony Wildman 6pos Chip
35" BFG KM MT's

Soon to come -
4"-6" Lift
HID's
05+Front end Conversion
Train Horns
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-25-2006, 02:17 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...00&cardist=147 Thats the truck for all you to see.

2000 F-250
4x4 ECSB
K&N Intake
Tony Wildman 6pos Chip
35" BFG KM MT's

Soon to come -
4"-6" Lift
HID's
05+Front end Conversion
Train Horns
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-25-2006, 05:58 PM

I would also have them run a carfax and get a print out from the dealer to see what the truck has been in for, like warrenty work and such.

'01 xcab 4x4,Suncoast by Mike L. Goerend triple, edge III, AFE stage II, HTT 62/12, FASS, and other stuff
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-25-2006, 08:58 PM

You can usually talk people down on price so look a little higher price than you have to spend. I was looking in the 20k range and found my truck listed at 18 and only paid 15k for it, with 80k on the clock, clean inside and out and 4x4. So if somebody's asking 12,000 you could probably get it for a bit less, especially at one of those second hand dealers.

With that said, I'm leary of second hand dealers because it is hard to get history on the truck, and they are put through the ringer for cleaning, so it is hard to tell how the truck was cared for. 242K is not uncommon for these engines, but that is a lot of miles if the drive train wasn't properly cared for, and also on accessories and what have you. You might want to try having them through in a free extended warranty instead of dropping the price.

They are in the business of selling cars, and won't be offened and not sell you the truck because you started with a low offer. I'd say low ball the heck out of them, and you could probably get that truck for a bit less than they are asking.
Sean

2000 2500 reg. cab 4x4 auto 577hp
09 6.7L QC LB stick, 4x4.

TOTAL PERFORMANCE DIESEL 707-545-FUEL (3835)
www.totalperformancediesel.com
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-25-2006, 09:35 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Thanks for the information! Ill try to talk that guy down for the black dodge in the first ad not the one I posted. Im a little scared of high miles because Im keeping the truck till I get out of college which is around 7 years so I want something that I can put an easy 200k plus on and not be worried. Ill try with the black sport one first and see where he goes and maybe I can get some extra money or I can find a better deal!

2000 F-250
4x4 ECSB
K&N Intake
Tony Wildman 6pos Chip
35" BFG KM MT's

Soon to come -
4"-6" Lift
HID's
05+Front end Conversion
Train Horns

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode