dually versus single wheel - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by mxjeepin, this thread has received 3 replies and been viewed 967 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-04-2006, 03:23 PM Thread Starter

dually versus single wheel

i am currently looking to get a diesel and i looked at a dually the other day that i really liked but not sure if it would be practical for my needs. i tow a decent amount of weight almost every weekend and i drive around 20 miles to and from work. how are they on fuel as far as mpg? i know they can tow more but i also go to the beach with my current truck. how would a dually do in the sand? any help would be awesome. thanks guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-04-2006, 03:56 PM
Bouncer

MPG between a single rear wheel and a dually are minimal. The dually is far superior in stability when towing, although if you do not tow extremely heavy, then all you are doing is paying for two extra tires. If you like to upgrade tire size and go larger, then you will have to spend a little more money to this on a dually. Although when it comes to the beach a dually will give you much more flotation on the sand than a SRW truck will give you. Thus being less likely to get stuck.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-04-2006, 08:08 PM

I've had both, and tow fairly heavy loads from time to time. I don't tow heavy on the freeway or with a 5th wheel, which is where the dually would pay off. On back country roads though, I've pulled 18k with the SRW and been fine as far as stability goes, but I'm not going fast 30mph tops.

As far as the sand goes. Its hard for me to say, because my dually was 2wd. However it seemed to bury the rearend way faster than my srw truck, which will get in fine even without the 4wd engaged. I think that that is because I run a considerably wider tire on my 2500. Fuel milage was very comparable. the dually did a touch better but I'm attributing that to the 2wd.

Hope that helps. Parking sucks, but you just have to watch your fenders and be careful, they aren't that much bigger. If you don't live in a major metropolitan area, you won't have any problem with that.
Sean
Sean

2000 2500 reg. cab 4x4 auto 577hp
09 6.7L QC LB stick, 4x4.

TOTAL PERFORMANCE DIESEL 707-545-FUEL (3835)
www.totalperformancediesel.com
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-10-2006, 01:35 AM

duallys are great on the farm but parking lots are not fun. drivethrews forget it towing is awesome with the dually compared to a single tire truck. my single squats bad compared to the dually. i really depends on your needs lastly in the mud single tires are the way to go. i sunk the dually up to the axles. during the spring rains good luck , jr

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode