wastgate shut off - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by RED DRAGON, this thread has received 3 replies and been viewed 734 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-06-2006, 04:37 PM Thread Starter

wastgate shut off

i seen it on here and was wondering if it is ok to close the wastgate with a turn buckle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-08-2006, 05:00 AM

interesting, I've heard of people welding them shut, but not the turn buckle, however I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Next question, why are you looking to shut your wastegate off, I'm assuming this is a stock charger. A boost elbow will help you tremendously and let you run far higher boost numbers than stock. After about 32psi, hx35's start pushing hot air, and your egt's just climb, and you don't really make that much more power.
What other mods do you have? If you're running any kind of fueling box or injectors, with that wastegate closed off, I think you'll just get too hot. It will spool quicker, but I wouldn't do it personally.
Sean

2000 2500 reg. cab 4x4 auto 577hp
09 6.7L QC LB stick, 4x4.

TOTAL PERFORMANCE DIESEL 707-545-FUEL (3835)
www.totalperformancediesel.com
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-08-2006, 04:47 PM
TDG Mafia Member #21

He has an HY35(unless he changed the turbo) so a boost elbow won't work. I have had mine turnbuckled for a long time now and it has worked great. I used a $2 turnbuckle from Lowe's and it hasn't even loosened up on me. There is a turnbuckle out now that has a spring on the hook that acts somewhat like a boost elbow but I don't know anyone who has used it. You do need to have an egt gauge just to be safe. You can see some high temps real quick if you aren't careful.

2007 F350 CC 4x4, EGR delete, stock for now

Old truck :"01" Dodge 3500 DRW. Goerend Bros w/ triple disk, Edge Drag Comp, Jammer Stage 5's, Turnbuckle, Dakota Digital and ISSPRO Gauges, BHAF,4" FLO-PRO exhaust, Vulcan kit, Holley Blue Pump, TC Lockup Switch, Snow stage 2, a few more little bits in the works

377hp and 823tq @ Smokin' (with stage 3's/no drag upgrade)
"400" club wannabe
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-09-2006, 02:28 AM

ok that makes sense. I didn't look close enough at the sig, and thought he had an Hx35. Yeah, the temps are the only thing I would worry about, because the 35's don't push nearly enough air on top, and temps get crazy hot.
Sean

2000 2500 reg. cab 4x4 auto 577hp
09 6.7L QC LB stick, 4x4.

TOTAL PERFORMANCE DIESEL 707-545-FUEL (3835)
www.totalperformancediesel.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode