trans trouble - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by SouthSide1, this thread has received 17 replies and been viewed 815 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-10-2006, 01:04 AM Thread Starter

trans trouble

02 62000rds trans shutters and stays in 2nd gear wont down shift to first when you come to a stop have to do it manually goes in streaks will do it for a while then behave for a couple of weeks. any help would be greatly apper.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-10-2006, 01:12 AM

first off welcome to the Garage!
Do you have any mods done to the truck yet? If you have any serious mods, fueling box, injectors things of that nature, that would be the most likely reason.
Other than that, maybe ur TV cable needs adjustment, or possibly a PCM issue. If you call Bill or Stephen at DTT 1-886-504-4002 they will probably be able to greatly assist you with your question, they are experts with dodge diesel transmissions. Dave Goerend from Goerend transmission could as well, but I don't have his number. If the truck is stock, my guess is that it needs to be adjusted.
Do you tow really heavy loads with the truck, that could also put a tranny out.
Sean

2000 2500 reg. cab 4x4 auto 577hp
09 6.7L QC LB stick, 4x4.

TOTAL PERFORMANCE DIESEL 707-545-FUEL (3835)
www.totalperformancediesel.com
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-10-2006, 01:49 AM

Welcome to TDG!
I had the same problem with my truck when it was stock. Yeah you might have to adjust the cable, but i took mine to the local dodge dealership and I forgothow much they charged but the had to flash the computer for the tranny. That seemed to do the trick for me, then again it just might be the cable.

99 Dodge Ram 2500, edge drag comp stacked with mads smarty, Hi tech 64 turbo, nx nitrous, AFE brute force, FASS 150 fuel system, mach 4 injectors, suncoast billet tranny, autometer gauges, 5" straight pipe , 6" tip.

Boys and their DIESEL toys!
And their NEVER fast enough!
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-10-2006, 01:53 AM

sorry, I hit the button twice, stupid me

99 Dodge Ram 2500, edge drag comp stacked with mads smarty, Hi tech 64 turbo, nx nitrous, AFE brute force, FASS 150 fuel system, mach 4 injectors, suncoast billet tranny, autometer gauges, 5" straight pipe , 6" tip.

Boys and their DIESEL toys!
And their NEVER fast enough!
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-10-2006, 11:10 AM
TDG Mafia Member #21

Dave's number is (563) 778-2719.

2007 F350 CC 4x4, EGR delete, stock for now

Old truck :"01" Dodge 3500 DRW. Goerend Bros w/ triple disk, Edge Drag Comp, Jammer Stage 5's, Turnbuckle, Dakota Digital and ISSPRO Gauges, BHAF,4" FLO-PRO exhaust, Vulcan kit, Holley Blue Pump, TC Lockup Switch, Snow stage 2, a few more little bits in the works

377hp and 823tq @ Smokin' (with stage 3's/no drag upgrade)
"400" club wannabe
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-12-2006, 12:51 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

all stock and theyved flashed it once before and it helped but its back again and the trans fluid is pretty dark. just boght the truck so dont know how well its been takin care of from previous owner. could it be the box that controls it or is the trans just junk.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-12-2006, 12:58 AM

could be either really. 62000 shouldn't be the trans itself, especially if the truck is stock. But you never know. In my experience these transmissions start by slipping the converter badly and or searching for gears, that doesn't sound like what you're describing. I would imagine its your PCM, sometimes electronics go bad. But it wouldn't hurt to change the fuild and the filter and see if that gets you anywhere.
Sean

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-12-2006, 08:09 AM

Dont Under Estimate The Dodge Auto, They Are Junk Stock, A Buddy Of Mine Bought One New, At 4,000 Yes 4,000 Miles The Tranny Was Replaced. This Was A 1998-- good ole w93

1998.5 24v QUAD CAB 4X4 CUMMINS 5spd , DRAG COMP, , FASS 150, , ATS 4", INTAKE, 150 jammers, clutch, guages
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-12-2006, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOYZILLA383
Dont Under Estimate The Dodge Auto, They Are Junk Stock, A Buddy Of Mine Bought One New, At 4,000 Yes 4,000 Miles The Tranny Was Replaced. This Was A 1998
wow, that is impressive. I haven't seen too many trucks do that, in fact I can safely say thats the first I've heard of. usually on stock trucks, these tranny's seem to do relatively well in my experience even towing. but thats just what i've seen which compared to how many trucks there are out there, is just a tiny fraction of a percent.
Sean

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-12-2006, 07:41 PM
Bouncer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstockton
usually on stock trucks, these tranny's seem to do relatively well in my experience even towing. but thats just what i've seen which compared to how many trucks there are out there, is just a tiny fraction of a percent.
Sean
:iagree

The downfall of the Dodge trannys, the Ford E4OD, and the Generals' Allison is modding. They were designed to do a job at a certain amount of HP and TQ. Of course by human nature a little more is good so a lot more is better when it comes to anything. Well we ask more of the trannys than they were originally designed to handle and they break. Then we get mad and upset that they are junk when we have caused our own problems. When the Allison came out everyone thought it was the next coming. Well they were the thing for about 2 years. Now everyone sees they are just like all other autos, they break too. The only difference is they were built to hold 400hp from the factory and the other brands were built to hold 250-300hp.

You know besides the exception of costing more us manual guys have the same issues. Although instead of clutches, valve bodies and torque coverters, we just need clutches. You hear far less complaining from the manual crowd when they have to upgrade clutches, mostly we just do it and move on. While a lot of the auto guys jump up and down and can't believe that POS broke. Now I know a clutch is a lot less than built tranny, but it's like this. You know when you buy one or the other what's going to happen, so you might as well just accept it and move on.

Anything can break at anytime. Knowing this and coupling it with doubling and in some cases tripling the amount of HP, you have to be ready to pay if you want to play.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode